Can I seal vacuum bag with an iron?

party_music50

I have a long piece of the plastic stuff used for vacuum seal bags and I want to seal it on one end. Can a clothing iron be used to successfully seal it?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

My immediate concern was addressed in a couple videos I found onlinr: Seal it between aluminum foil so that the plastic doesn't melt all over your iron. Looks like it takes a pretty low setting, about ten seconds. Might require some trial and error to get just right. Saw someone else use a hair straightening iron.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by party_music50
party_music50

Excellent! Thank you!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

You can use parchment paper when ironing plastic as well - I've done so when recycling plastic grocery bags - using a very low setting - too much heat and the plastic bubbles and makes holes.

1 Like Save     Thanked by party_music50
party_music50

Thank you, carolb! I’ve now researched typical temperatures for clothing irons…. and wonder if these vacuum seal bags can handle steam? I want to use the bag to hold my willow both for soaking and steaming.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Laundry Rooms Where Can I Hide My Laundry Area?
It’s a case of now you see it, now you don’t with these 10 clever ways of fitting in a laundry zone
Full Story
More Rooms Iron It Out! Storage Solutions for the Ironing Board
3 Helpful Tips On How To Make Space for this Household Essential
Full Story
Scott Davidson founded Davidson Builders in 1998. Scott graduated from Michigan State with a BS in Construction... Read More