Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

Enclosed Porch

idie2live
14 years ago

Some of you will remember my original problem when I started posting on this board. I wanted some type of sitting area on the front of the house. I sometimes sit in the living room, but there are no windows that face the street go figure!

We tried to re-arrange my kitchen to include a sitting area, but we never came up with "THE" plan. After obsessing about it for months, I decided to stop talking about it and focus on other projects.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. While re-reading an old post from Flowerlady, I realized that she had a nice office by closing her small porch and that it could work for me too.

So, I decided to close in my front porch! For me this is a good fit. I wonÂt miss the porch because I never sit on the porch (mosquitoes love me).

My porch is 5.5Â x 11Â. There will be just enough space for me to have a comfy chair, a table and a small tv. He will be closing it in, insulating, putting windows on each end and either side of the door. As long as I don't add heat/air, take out existing walls or modify the roof, the city will still consider it a porch.

This is a house I am using for inspiration. I hope to end up with something similiar (minus the brick).

I talked to the contractor last week, and he gave me an estimate. He is going try to start either Friday or Monday (whenever he finishes the job he is working on now).

Loretta

Comments (72)

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thankyou, I'm very pleased. But Monday night, I wasn't so sure! Before the front windows were cut out, it felt too tight. So when they came on Wednesday, I told them to enlarge the window on the right side of the door (27" x 70"). Wow, what a difference.
    They still need to mud and sand, hang door, install handrails and hang some kitchen cabinets.

• User
    14 years ago

OMG, Idie2live, your porch is such a spacemaker! It makes your house front look so good. Even the short strips of vinyl on either side of the two "lights" have the look of shutters. Which I dearly LOVE.

That side light made 27 x 70 had a big impact. Is it still the polycarbonate/Lexan stuff? Somewhere I have a set of instructions on how to keep the material from getting scratched and I will try to get it to you. Or at least tell you. Without looking at it, I won't attempt to relay the info--too afraid of messing up your playhouse!

I think the wicker chair inside that wider window will give a very comfortable and COMFORTING image of the style of living possible inside your home. Even the new door into the living room will become a part of the picture.

Now while you are thinking about plants to emphasize the effect created by this new elegant VERY SOUTHERN porch, also think about a window box under the smaller window off to the right on the brick. You can take that last picture you posted and just keep pasting different styles of window boxes up to it, until you get the one you love.

If you like ferns, and you are in South Carolina, I recommend that you try asparagus fern. I planted those in some very inhospitable places at my church, surrounded by cement, baking in sun all day with no shade, and they prospered. The asparagus fern has little thingys on the roots that look like grapes when they suck up the water, and they also survive the winter. This winter was very hard on mine, but they are already coming back, and I just need to cut off the dead tops. One of my favorite ferns which has survived this winter, but will need to have at least broken shade, is the holly fern. It is a deep deep glossy green with semi spiky edges to the leaves--but not dangerously so of course.

An online source of information is PlantDelightsNursery up in Juniper Level NC....I order from them, and LOVE to read the plant info written by the owner, Tony Avent. For some good advice about selecting plants for your area, he'd be one person I'd trust. Very amusing too.

And they have hibiscus there also. And HOSTAS LOVE SHADE. They would do great in your zone, because they keep on spreading like crazy at DH's house in MA. Also, if you want something that is BEAUTIFUL and will survive the winters, take a look at the HEUCHERAS, or coral bells. Mostly the leaves are stunning, with flowers on tiny spikes not being so impressive. But THEY keep coming back too. Oh dear me, I can tell my gardening fever is rising again. Sorry.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The contractor is finished with his part. Now all of the grunt work is on me!

This is the smallest fan I've ever seen.

I found this film to put on the narrow window - it looks simliar to the glass in the door.

Already started priming the brick (what a pain) and the sheetrock. Out of pure laziness, I have decided to paint it a creamy white; but the valence, rug and chair will have color in them. Also this light will be moved to the outside when the electrician comes.

Railings up! Trim still needs to be painted

And last, (this is for you Moccassin)

• User
    14 years ago

....what a lovely surprise! I know it makes you happy to find flowers blooming after such a difficult winter.

The creamy white for the bricks, absolutely the right choice. That film on the skinny window works perfectly too. And the blind on your 27x70 window is a fine choice.

Do you know where that tiny fan came from? I bought a totally white one w/ 6 blades from Lowes last year. I think it was 30" diameter counting the blades. But yours looks even smaller. Maybe because of the color? Anyway, I like the style. Mine really moves the air!

Well, I know you will be a happy camper when you have it all together. This was a quick job, with an immediate payoff. Talk about improved curb appeal, you did it up right. Be sure to post a picture of the chair you decide to use. And the lamp. And the table. Inspirational, that's what it is. Kudos to your contractor too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

OH and you already have blinds. Hoping you find just the perfect chair and ottoman. I love the space you have created.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

what a great little space and I agree with moccasin that it really adds to the street appeal too. I love the film on the windows too it looks so good! I cant wait to see it all dressed up inside when it's finished. I think you should buy the most comfortable chair you can find and the cost be damned! you've earned a nice chair girlfriend! treat yourself for all the hard work you've done ;)

• User
    14 years ago

Trance, as busy as Idie2live stays, it is a wonder she EVER sits down!

But even the image of a restful spot can be refreshing. Years ago, I hung a nice Pawley's Island hammock between two pear trees, under which I'd planted solid monkey grass. It was a shady quiet spot on the north side of my little house at Moccasin Landing. I guess I lay in it less than a dozen times before it rotted, but I could look at it every morning out my bedroom window, and get a long view down the tree-shaded bayou, and that promise of relaxation eased my mind. Sometimes all you need to have is the PROMISE of relief.

I have a new hammock just like the old one, but so far have not found a great spot to hang it at this house.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

I know what you mean moccasin and I've been the same with my garden. If I tried to sit down and relax out there all I could see was all of the things I needed to do ;) This year with so much unrelenting 100+ weather and a broken air conditioner I've spent a lot of evenings relaxing out the back because it was too hot to be in the house, relaxing in a nice sun lounge with a cold beer out there (*gasp* and I hate beer but it took the edge of the heat) hehe. I've finally realised why I we built that pergola and I bought those sun lounges for it. :)

• yayagal
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous transformation. I actually like it better than a large porch as it's yours alone and you have privacy. I'll bet you wished you did it long ago.

• Nancy in Mich
    14 years ago

Idie2live, I love your little sanctuary porch and your flexibility to change plans during the build. When you have a builder who will work with you, it is fun to make changes once you see the space all done. I have one concern about your new placement of the front door that I would like to raise. You are used to having the front door with the glass storm door underneath the shelter of the roof. Depending on which way the porch faces, you may find that you need to be careful to change out the glass in the storm door with the screen when warmer weather comes. If you get direct sun on the door, the heat build-up behind the glass storm door can warp or otherwise damage your steel. Just something to be aware of if the front faces the sun part of the day.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Loretta, that looks great! Have you had time to really enjoy it yet?

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moccosain, the fan is 24" I think and it came from Lowe's.

nancy, even though it is west-facing, the porch is in almost total shade most of the day because of the Crepe Myrtle monster :0) Also, the front door is usually open all day anytime it is fairly warm outside.

I had a piece of vinyl to cover the concrete and an area rug to use over it. I also have a table that fits perfect. I haven't bought a chair yet, but I put one of the chairs from the living room on the porch to gauge the size I need. (But this chair will be going back into the l!ving room.)

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Oh Loretta it is all so lovely!!!! The rug is Gorgeous. Amazing how nicely the table fits. Great space and I bet in winter it will also help to keep your house warmer as a chamber to stop the cold draft from door opening.

So pretty and glad you are home safe.

Chris

• User
    14 years ago

Not sure about the price for the chairs, but I really like the styles at Room & Board. I know you said you wanted one with a FIRM SEAT. I know you need a streamlined but comfortable chair.

A nice high backed slim armed wingback, with straight legs and small wings, what I'd call a "lady chair" would fit nicely. And it would obviously be a chair made for a woman.
    Straight legs in back, and the curved leg like your table, if you plan to leave it on the porch? I like it there.

To make it functional, look for a storage ottoman on wheels, one which can be pushed under your table when not needed, yet you can sit there to do mail or maybe bring out your laptop and enjoy your neighborhood view.

I really like your porch. Seeing you do it gives me as much enjoyment as doing one myself.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

oh my. that is just an awesome space. I want one.

have you checked one of those consignment stores for a chair? a friend of mine bought her LR furniture at one and got such a deal on her s*fa and 2 chairs. They are so beautiful. didn't even look used at all.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moccasin, I love the chairs at Room and Board, but unfortunately, they are out of my budget.
    Steph, I have been haunting the shops looking for a vintage chair, but so far not luck.

Another option I have is a wicker (or wicker-look) patio chair. In the meantime, I can just leave my living room chair on the porch until I decide. I've hung curtains and a few prints.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Loretta you have such a st*le about you. I really like your choices in decorating.Looks so nice.

Chris

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

oh I love it! the chair really suits that area and the table. I just love the railing on the outside too.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Loretta, I thought of you last night when I started reading my latest BH&G magazine. There is an enclosed porch with a cute little settee type bench.

I like the curtains you put in there, makes it really private and cozy.

• User
    14 years ago

Loretta, do you make slip covers?
    (you can do everything me thinks) :)

Keep your wingback chair there until you find that knockout chair you are looking for. Do not settle.
    But you might be very comfortable during the hot weather to have a creamy cottony slip cover with piping that same green as the curtain panels? Then you won't worry about plopping down there for a sip of ice water after sweating out in the garden. You know it will invite you to take a break!

Your porch is about the most perfect little jewel box I ever saw. Small spaces are priceless because you feel you just walk into them and PUT THEM ON. Like wrapped in clothing you really like. You done good, lady.

• User
    14 years ago

I wrote a message and it was totally rejected.
    Do NOT know why.

Your porch looks fantastic.
    Let's see what they do with THAT.
    Sheeeeeeshhhh.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

"SNORK IT WORKED!! Just add a * where a vowel should be and it will break the link like ML said. "

shades are you still getting those underlined words? I noticed there were two of them, one comes from ivillage and one is from gardenweb. after I disabled both of them I didnt see those links any more.

• User
    14 years ago

Sorry that I misspoke earlier. It seems that even though there was a hangup, somehow it did post my fuller compliment to Loretta.

Now, Trance, how do you disable the (popups?)....whatever you are talking about? Using Firefox these days, not as familiar with it as I was w/ IE7.

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

Ha, I did this weeks ago so I couldnt even remember what I did so had to delete my cookies and try to get the darn things to come up again! boy do those things slow down bringing up the pages here grrr.

anyway, Ive figured out what I did now, when you see one of those underlined words, put your mouse over it and when it opens up that pop up type box it says "vibrant" in the top right hand corner. click on "vibrant" and it will take you to a page where you can click on "disable". If you still see any more of those links do it again because I noticed some of them come from an ivillage page and some from a gardenweb page and I had to disable both before I stopped seeing all of the links

• trancegemini_wa
    14 years ago

oh I should have mentioned too that to see if it worked you might need to hit your refresh/reload button in ie or firefox

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Are y'all still getting the other popups from here? I've disabled that underline thing, but I still get the same popups I have all along here.

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!! You have been one busy lady. Congrats on getting this done so fast! I am in awe, Loretta. It looks wonderful. Enjoy your new space! :o)
    Where did you find such a tiny fan? I've been looking for one for our bedroom ...

• User
    14 years ago

Prairie, I asked her that also, and she said LOWES. Well, I thought I had purchased a different model, but lo and behold, the one I bought last fall was the same model. Same everything. It is 24" wide blade tip to blade tip. Monte Carlo #94244.

I got mine for the kitchen, and was informed by a friend that you don't put ceiling fans in a kitchen....well, I will ask about that in a separate thread, see what everyone else thinks.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

LOL Good thing I did not know you were NOT to put ceiling fans in kitchens because we used to have TWO in our kitchen.

I think we all would like some of Loretta's expertise. Should we send her on a USA tour for awhile.?? What you think Loretta??

Chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes it is the same fan! Great minds think alike, huh?
    It didn't cost too much -I can't remember, but it was under a hundred dollars.
    Prarie-girl, for a while there, I had several projects going on at a time. I was working on the kitchen, the contractor was doing the porch and the cement contractor was widening and repaving my driveway! WHEW!
    But I managed to get them in and out before Spring, which is the start of their busy season.

• User
    14 years ago

I'm just wondering if MARIO HAS A BROTHER?
    Or can you CLONE him?

He really does good work.

And so do you!

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Not sure on the brother for Mario, I know his two sisters and they are also great workers. In fact the whole family works hard. Grand sons nieces nephews. They are a real asset to the Weiser Community.

chris

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to show you all the chair I ended up getting for the porch. The chair I really wanted was $800.00 (ouch)! I decided it was to much to spend on a porch. But I'm thinking I MAY end up getting it for my bedroom.

Anyway, I saw an outdoor recliner by Lazy Boy. I had a coupon for 15% off, so I got it. The frame is all steel so it is really sturdy.

http://www.lazboyoutdoor.com/product.php?sku=STAN2010RECL

• User
    13 years ago

Idie, I looked at your link.
    Had no idea that BedBathBeyond also sold La-Z-Boy products!
    Wow.

I like the styling of the chair. The side panels of the wicker weaving will stay looking good for a long time. So when will we expect to see the bedroom lounging scene?
    So many projects, so little time!!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

idie, your porch is lovely--you've done a great job making it functional and comfortable, and the curtains and artwork are a really nice touch. Our back porch has been enclosed--long before we bought the house. We can tell because of the way the brick has been laid around the original pillars, and because the floor slopes down drastically for drainage.

I also like the ceiling fan. We have them in all our main rooms, even the kitchen, but we have an electric stove. Our house didn't have air conditioning, and those fans have been life-savers.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm really enjoying it. I spend time out there every day (watching my neighbors). And yes I do leave the door between the porch and living room open. I had a problem matching the stain on my new French door with the one I already had. I finally got it stained and poly'ed and I'm happy with the final product.
    Here a a few pics"

New chair

New door

I also put up a new light in the living room

ML, I have an ugly, but comfortable loveseat in my bedroom. I SO want to change it!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I really like the style of your house--it looks about the same vintage as ours, and I use similar furniture and rugs. The wall colors and chair-rail are beautiful, so is the new light fixture. I've always loved chair-rail, and I'm considering it for the dining room when we get to that.

LOL, if you are neighbor watching, you're missing a vital piece of 'porch decor'--field glasses!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

oh, idie - that is a great chair for there! you're all set - except for those glasses...lol! 'bird' watching...

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pssst! Don't tell anyone, but I've got a pair og field glasses and they have come in handy!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

lol! mums the word!

• User
    13 years ago

This is one of my favorite threads, showing a lot of improvement in a little space. And I want to make sure that Kiki22 can take an easy look at it when she thinks about redoing her entry way.

Consider this a BUMP in the right direction. :)

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

Moccasin I'm so glad you did bump this, I wonder why I missed it the first time! Idie what a great space you've made, I'm so impressed how quickly you went from idea to finished product, whew!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was curious to see how hot it would get in the summer. Our temps have been hoovering in the high 90s and its still comfortable for me to sit on the porch. If it gets too warm, I leave the door open to the living room for a while. My DGD and her sisters love to sit out there when they're here (which has been a lot lately, lol)

I have a small flatscreen tv on the porch. So, one of my favorite things on sunday after church, is to sit on the porch and watch bad movies on the SyFy network!

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Loretta, I am glad that you have had a chance to use your porch, even in the heat. I do love your Laz-e-boy, too. Can I come down and watch those SyFy movies with you? (My sister is really steamed at them doing their name with the "y"s for some reason.)

I want you to know that your work has been a great inspiration to me. Like ML, I also love your style. I was planning to do my kitchen in your green and lilac color combo, but it turned into a huge project and I decided to just do green. The paint is on the walls in the kitchen and the family room and within two or three weeks, we should have it all done. Like you did, I asked the contractor to leave the painting to me, I needed to save money. He hates staining, so I stained the woodwork this weekend, too.

Here is to you, on your porch with a cool drink, a good movie, and those binoculars to make sure you see all of the wildlife!

• User
    13 years ago

Loretta sez:"I have a small flatscreen tv on the porch. So, one of my favorite things on sunday after church, is to sit on the porch and watch bad movies on the SyFy network!"

Oh (groan) those old sci-fi movies were the worst. But at least you did not see too much gore like the newer monster movies have. I sure cannot watch those.

Last night I found THE HOLIDAY, where the two young women swap houses for Christmas. It was full of eye candy for house lovers. I think it was my third time to see it.
    Now that we changed our phone system to cable, I got a lot more channels than before, and the cost is less than if I stayed with ATT phone service. I have yet to see the caller ID on the screen, but I'm sure it will show up when I figure out the settings. We're also getting some of the music channels, no spoken commercials (some text on screen but who watches music play?) I like the jazz, blues, classical, and less violent stuff. Nice.

Sorry if I seem to stray off topic here. But sitting on a porch relaxing brings up such images. I think you are getting your money's worth from that porch, Loretta. I bet you have room for a glass of wine and a plate of snacks too.

• EMC2011
    12 years ago

hi,

i know this is an old post, but i love what you did! and i'm thinking of doing the same to my small cape one day in the future...how much would something like this cost? i know there are variables like material costs but just curious for a ballpark figure... i'm in NJ btw....

thanks!!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi EMC, I'm in South Carolina so prices are probably considerably cheaper.
    I paid $3,450. That includes all labor and materials (not including the fan or door). This also included moving the existing entry door and screen to the new location and installing a new interior door in the old position.
    The roof and floor remained as is. The floor is cement so there was no issue with the weight of the added walls.
    HTH
    Loretta

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Loretta, was it hard to get a building permit?

• idie2live
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, it was no problem at all. Someone in the city office told me that as long as I did not change any existing loadbearing wall, roof or floor; and that I was essentially just filling in the wall space - then the city would still consider it a porch. I didn't even have to draw it out for them.
    Its different with new construction though. I am planning to add a room to my house in a couple of months and we are required to have a designer/architech draw the plans and a PE has to ok them.

• User
    12 years ago

Loretta, old ideas never die, they just get ADDED ON.

So glad to see you rejuvenated for 2012, and more plans to look forward to.

Are you going to give that new room a thread of its own?
    I will have to do a plan for my kitchen redo as well, what with new foundation, new roofline, and new floors throughout the house, with window seat and pantries in the dining AND kitchen. I'm really wanting it to start after DH goes back north in May. hehehehe. That way, I KNOW I'll get what I want without explaining the purpose of each item to him. Before it's done, he has doubts, but then once it is accomplished, he sees that I was NOT WRONG.