Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathielo

Transfer removal

kathielo
17 years ago

I've posted this on the embroidery forum but have gotton no response yet. Since sewers use transferred patterns I thought someone here might have a suggestion. My daughter got a beautiful handmade white linen table cloth embroidered with white cross stitches. It was a wedding gift 8 yrs. ago. She now wants to use it for a christening so she washed it but the blue transfer pattern marks did not come out completely. Any suggestions for getting them out? It was washed several times using different detergents, oxyclean, non chlorine bleach, etc. Thanks for your help.

Comments (8)

• grammyp
    17 years ago

Have you tried spraying with Spray N Wash then rubging gently between your fingers or with a small laundry brush. That may help. Try a small area first before doing the entire table cloth.

beverly

• ioanak
    17 years ago

I was looking up ink transfer removal on google and it sent me to this page. So I had to sign up in order to talk to you. I too have been looking for a way to remove the ink transfer from a set of pillow cases I purchased from ebay. I finished the embroidery and then I came to find out the ink wouldn't wash out. I tried the Oxyclean too and soaked them all night. The hint from Beverly I don't think would work if that Oxyclean wouldn't work. Have you discovered anything yet that will remove it?? I wrote the lady on ebay that I bought them from and I don't think she really believes me. Anyway, she has no idea. I read some where on the internet to try nail polish remover but I haven't as yet. I hope you found something. By the way where is this embroidery forum?? Write to me at kaaih7@aol.com Thanks.

Joan

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

Hmmm - I wonder if hairspray might dissolve it out?

Works on ballpoint pen ink....

You just saturate the stain w/ the hairspray (cheap Aquanet is what I've used) & launder as usual.

Other than that, I love a product called 'Magic Wand' for getting out all kinds of stains - I think it's mostly glycerin???

{{!gwi}}

HTH

• madam_butterfly
    17 years ago

This issue has always been a serious problem for ecclesiastical embroidery. The iron-on transfers simply will not come out. We don't use them anymore.

I use cream of tartar frequently on our church linens. It's meant to remove rust stains. It also removes the many 'mystery stains' that white linen seems to accumulate for no reason at all. You might try that - it won't hurt! For something the size of a table cloth, stir a couple of tablespoons of cream of tartar into water, put the tablecloth into a suitably sized pot (probably NOT aluminum), add the water to cover and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and leave to cool. Wash as usual.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

OOOh thanks! I've been longing for something to treat rust stains - I used to use oxalic acid, but haven't seen that anywhere for so long.

Cream of Tartar = tartaric acid - so maybe equivalent to oxalic???

• kathielo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HINTS...SOME I'VE ALREADY TRIED..OTHERS I WILL STILL TRY. ANOTHER FRIEND OF MINE SUGGESTED LAYING THE TABLE CLOTH OUT ON THE GRASS IN THE SUN. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO REMOVE STAINS AND YELLOWING. I HAD HEARD OF THIS PROCEDURE BEFORE FOR REMOVING YELLOWING SO I'M GOING TO TRY IT. I ALREADY TRIED THE PRODUCT BY RITS...DIDN'T WORK. KATHIEO

• noinwi
    17 years ago

I use Goop hand cleaner for most stains on general laundry. I've had success with sharpie ink stains by rubbing in the goop, letting it set a few days, repeating, then laundering. I have also used hairspray on ball point pen ink as Carolb does.

• ioanak
    16 years ago

Here I am almost 2 years later still looking for a good way to remove iron on transfer ink. I did find out that Oxy-Clean works on some and not others. I did find this web site on the subject that might be worth checking out.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-remove-ink-stains-from-clothes

Here is a link that might be useful: How to remove ink stains