Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjfrisco_gw

Window above mantle - Sheetrock, brick or both?

jjfrisco
15 years ago

We currently have a fireplace that does not have a chimney. The builder put a rectangular window (approx 5' long x 2' high) right above the mantle. We have always struggled with what to do in this area. We have thought decorative windows, something to cover it up, but we are not really in love with any of the ideas.

Our latest idea is to just "get rid" of the window and have sheetrock above the mantle like 99% of all other houses. That way we can put a picture or a tv (my vote) over the mantle. We have a couple of options to get rid of the window, and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions or concerns (building code, condensation, etc).

Here are our options for getting rid of the window:

- Sheetrock over the interior part of the window. Leave the exterior as is, with the window showing.

- Sheetrock the interior, leave the window, brick over the exterior.

- Remove the window, sheetrock on the inside, brick over the hole on the exterior.

We have the solar screens on the outside of the window, so you cant see in that window. I'm for the cheapest way to get rid of the window, but I also dont want to run into issues down the road with the window, house inspectors, etc. Any thoughts on the options above, or any other options?

Comments (13)

• rjoh878646
    15 years ago

If it was my window, I would take it outof the wall completly then frame the opening in with 2 by 4's 16" on center,then insulate Then cover it with whatever material is on the walls next to it. On the outside I would cover the opening with whatever material is on the exterior of the house around it. Just do not leve the window in the wall and cover over the interior of it. for one thing it looks tacky, the other problem you run into is condensation problems. also when you go to sell the house it sends a red flag to potential buyers.

• jjfrisco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I was wondering if there would be condensation problems. I was hoping I could just sheetrock, but figured that was way too easy. Any other comments?

Luckily I still have some matching bricks that the previous owner left.

I'm assuming that I would need a general contractor, or in the least coordinate the brick guy with the sheetrock/framing guy. I'm also hoping one of them can remove the window and I wont have to get a 3rd party involved. Any thoughts here?

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

What is the purpose of a fireplace without a chimney? Why not get rid of it and put in a better window?

• jjfrisco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Removing the fireplace would be too much of a structural change. The exterior brick and foundation extend out to enclose the firebox, gas logs, and vent.

Its not on wheels or a plug in kind that you may be picturing. It was put in by the builder.

It may not cut it where it gets cold, but puts out enough heat for TX.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

So it's a simulated fireplace with gas logs and a vent through the wall? And the window isn't operable? A photo would be a great help.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Your window might be illegal if it isn't tempered and meets the required clearance from the vent. Dont just cover over, do it right as rjoh mentions.

• jjfrisco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, my pictures are below. As you can see the fireplace is permanent and we are not talking about changing that at all. However, we do hate the window above it and want to sheetrock it in on the inside so that we can hang a picture or TV. I also think we should brick over the exterior, so the real question is should we have someone remove the window as well, or is it okay to stay?

Also, does anyone have a rough estimate on cost? I'm hoping for less than $1,000.

Fireplace and Window - Inside

Window - Inside

Firebox, Vent, and Window - Outside

Window Only - Outside

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

The new bricks are going to need ties. The window wont allow that. It needs to come out, studded in and sheathed with a properly installed underlayment. The bricks will need to be tied into the existing by way of removing a brick every other course each side. Out here there's no way a mason would consider that small project for $1000.00 not counting insulating and matching up the wallboard inside, painting to match, etc. If you want a tv, your going to have to have cable and a receptacle access as well. I think your budget is way low and you'll be asking for moisture concerns behind the brick if you leave it which cant be done because there's nothing to tie the bricks in to. Save up and do it right or dont do it at all or it will cost you in the long run with those moisture problems if you leave the window there.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

If you decide to go ahead with the brick work, you might consider having them remove that fireplace bumpout roof flashing and have it installed correctly as well. It will mean replacing some more courses of brick, but it's one of those bob vila infamous "might as well's". The existing flashing as it is is totally dependent on caulk which will eventually fail and give you some headaches. Sure is easy to sit here and spend other peoples money but if you dont do it right, it will come back to bite you later and cost more in the long run!

• rjoh878646
    15 years ago

Like the last poster said get the flashing fixed. It should be set in the mortar joint above where it is. A cheap way of fixing the outside is fill it in with wood and paint it. The flashing fix amounts to having someone with a masonary disk in a angle grinder cut out part of the mortar joint and have new flashing inset into it and remortared. Inside I would drywall. this is after you remove the window.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

To get around the masonry work you could frame around the brick bump out and extend the bump-out vertically up to where the clapboard siding is above it. Put a little shed roof, properly flashed, on it and cover the bump-out with clapboard siding.

You would need to extend the vent.

That way, you could eliminate the window & get around doing the brickwork, filling the window void on the exterior side with plywood, whatever since it would be enclosed in the taller bump-out.

If you want to get fancy, you could put doors on it (exterior) so that you could utilize the space above the fireplace for storage. An exterior closet, IOW.

• abibakar
    15 years ago

On the outside I would cover the opening with whatever material is on the exterior of the house around it. Just do not leve the window in the wall and cover over the interior of it. for one thing it looks tacky. Busby seo test

Here is a link that might be useful: Busby SEO Test

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I'm linking another option. You could go ahead with removing the window, framing & filling the opening and using some sort of decorative treatment on the exterior. Or maybe a combination like a panel & a sunburst above?

This approach could either be temporary or more permanent. (You may come up with another project requiring a mason at a later date & combine that job with the window fill-in.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Architectural Depot Window Panels