Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

LOOKING for: sweet dill pickles

flowergirl70ks
17 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe for sweet dill pickles? I don't mean the kind where you start with dill pickles.

Comments (8)

• lindac
    17 years ago

You mean a sweet pickle with dill added? or do you mean a bread abd butter pickle that is often seasoned with mustard seed and onions?
    I never heard of a sweet dill piclke....I can't imagine that dill and sweet and garlic would combine to amke a good pickle.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I bet the folks at the Harvest forum here would have a recipe for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

I'm on my way to work, so I'll post my recipe later. I've made them for over 50 years. It's my favorite sandwich pickle.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

I can't wait to see it, Shirley. I'm with Linda on this. It's hard to imagine a a sweet dill pickle. Dills are usually on the sour side, and Kosher dills are that with garlic added.

There are all sorts of recipes for sweet pickles. I could post several that I make. But the brine and other flavorings are different than what is used for dill pickles.

Maybe Flowergirl needs to clarify exactly what she's looking for.

• breasley
    17 years ago

Here is a recipe I found at cooks.com.

HOT - SWEET DILL PICKLES

1 gal. cucumbers
    1 qt. vinegar
    2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. salt
    2 c. water
    4 med. onions
    1-2 hot peppers
    1 sprig dill

Slice cucumbers and onions. Pour boiling water over to cover. Let stand 30 minutes. Put hot pepper(s) and 1 sprig of dill (about 5 small stems) in bottom of jar along with the cucumbers and onions. Bring to a boil. Boil the vinegar, sugar, salt and water 10 minutes. Pour over cucumbers in jars and seal.

• shirleywny5
    17 years ago

Here is my tried and true recipe for
    SWEET DILL PICKLE SPEARS

You can do many or a few jars at a time.
    The left over syrup will last for days in the fridge.

4 or 5 inch long PICKLING type pickles
    Cut the blossom end and stem end off.
    Cut into quarters lengthwise to fit into pints up to the shoulder. Easier if you lay the pint on its side. Smaller pickles may be left whole.

Bring to a boil.

4 cups white vinegar
    3 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    1 teaspoon turmeric

Into each pint place 1 large head of dill or 1 teaspoon dill seed. Add some of the leaves too if using fresh. 1 teaspoon salt, 1 clove of garlic and 1 slice of onion.
    Place the pickle spears into jars to the shoulder and fill to 1/2 with hot syrup.
    Adjust 2 piece lids.
    I use the pasteurization method for these, at least 185 degrees HWB. Don't let the water boil as this may cause the pickles spears to shrivel.
    Leave the lid off the canner and turn the jars occasionally for about 20 minutes. When the color changes on the pickles then are processed.

If you are doing a small batch, a deep jam pot will work well instead of a large canner.

If you need more help, please ask.

Shirley

• Iowagal
    17 years ago

I have made the recipe Shirley uses and they are good. Here's another good one I use.
    About 12 cucumbers about 8 inches long, to slice lengthwise into spears. Soak cukes whole in ice water to cover, 3-4 hours. Drain off water.
    Slice into spears (I usually get 6 spears per cucumber)
    Place in sterile jars. Add:
    2-3 sprigs of dill per jar
    1 large slice onion per jar (I use 6-8 walking onion bulblets, sliced crosswise)
    1 clove garlic per jar
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes per jar, optional
    Combine and bring to a boil:
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    4 cups white vinegar
    2/3 cup pickling salt
    Pour over pickles to about 1/2 inch from top of jar. Process in hot water bath 20 minutes, beginning when jars are placed into the already-boiling water. Remove from water and complete seals.

I can't believe some of you guys don't know what sweet dills are! Yum.

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies, I got what I was looking for.