Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowball_47

RECIPE: side dishes for salmon

snowball
17 years ago

Hi

I'm making a special meal for my friend she has done so much for my family over the years that last year I made us a meal more special than our usual toss together some soup or go out or stir fry when we get together for a day of sewing. She sews I cook and talk. Works for us. And I'd like to do this again this year Salmon sounds good how do you cook your salmon? but what kind of side dishes. Saw a recipe for the choc cake with the liquid center thought that would make a nice dessert. So any ideas??? side note we were friends for about a year when we found out that we were related... our grandparents were brother and sister. Small world huh?

sheila

Comments (13)

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a nice thing to do for her, Sheila. Here's one way I make salmon.

SQUAM LAKE SALMON FILLET

2 or 2 lb. salmon fillet
    2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
    3 Tbs, dry sherry
    1 Tbs. honey
    Juice of one lime
    2 tsp. olive oil
    ½ tsp. dry tarragon
    ¼ tsp. salt

Rinse and pat salmon dry. Place in china or glass dish (not metal). Mix rest of ingredients together and pour over salmon. Marinate in refrigerator 1 or 2 hours, turning every ½ hour. Grill or bake skin side down at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until filet is firm to touch, basting with leftover marinade. Serves 5 or 6

This is a side dish that I like to serve with salmon:

CREAMY RICE AND CABBAGE

1 cup water
    1/3 cup rice (not instant)
    1/ 4 tsp salt
    1 tsp. butter or margarine
    1/ 4 medium head cabbage, cored and cut into 1/ 2 strips
    1 tsp. sugar
    Dash of paprika
    2 tsp. water
    3 Tbs. sour cream

In a small pan, bring 1 cup water to a boil; stir in rice, salt and the butter. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour off any excess water.

While rice is cooking, fry bacon until crisp in skillet. Remove and drain bacon; drain all but 2 tsp. of drippings. Add cabbage to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, paprika, and 2 tsp. water. Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in sour cream and rice; heat but do not boil. Stir in crumbled bacon. Makes 2 servings.

• ann_t
    17 years ago

This is my

. I don't like to serve sides that overpower the salmon so I would keep it simple. Rice, or Parisienne potatoes, maybe sauted snow peas or steamed asparagus.

Ann

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Salmon With Julienne Vegetables
    ===============================

Adapted from: Umberto Menghi 1978

Salmon Filets or steaks

1 large carrot
    1 stalk of celery
    1 lemon
    2 cloves garlic
    1 large shallot
    parsley
    white wine
    chicken broth (Optional instead of white wine
    Olive oil
    . Place salmon filets in a shallow oven proof dish.

Julienne carrots, celery, lemon zest,

chop parsley,
    mince garlic
    chop shallots

Mix together and spread over top of the salmon.

Pour a little white wine,or chicken broth over the salmon and a squeeze
    of lemon juice.

Drizzle with olive oil.

Sprinkle with salt and Pepper

Butter a piece of foil and place loosely on top of fish. Do not seal.

Bake in a 400° to 450° oven for approximately 10 to 20 minutes,
    depending on the thickness of salmon.

To serve. Place a piece of salmon on plate keeping some of the julienne
    vegetables on top.

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

Thanks, Glenda, that sound like a great side dish for any type of seafood.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

With most salmon dishes I would serve boiled new potatoes with parsley butter and either a green bean dish or sauteed snow peas. Julienned carrots & parsnips are another possibility.

Here's a recipe that originated with Atlantic salmon, but which works just as well with it's Pacific bretheren:

George River Salmon

4 salmon steaks, cut about 1-inch thick
    3 tbls Dijon mustard
    2 tbls olive oil
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    Salt & pepper to taste

Mix the oil, mustard, wine, salt & pepper in a bowl. Add the salmon steaks to the sauce and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning often. Place the steaks on a buttered piece of foil, on a broiler pan. Preheat the broiler. Place the steaks 4 inches from heat source and broil until they flake; about 10 minutes. At least twice during cooking brush with marinade.

Instead of a bowl I mix the marinade in a zipper bag and add the steaks to it, squeezing out the air before putting in the fridge.

This dish can be made on the grill, too.

If you don't mind working a little harder, this dish always impresses people:

Salmon & Rice in Pastry

1 lb fresh raw salmon in thin slices
    1 pastry recipe
    3 cups cooked rice, dry & cold
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2 cups veloute sauce
    1 tbls chopped fresh dill
    1 tbls lemon juice
    3 hard cooked geegs, finely chopped
    1 egg beaten with 1 tbls milk
    1/4 lb unsalted butter, melted.

Divide pastry in two parts. Roll out one half to 1/4 inch thickness, place on a cookie sheet, and trim to a 7 x 17 inch rectangle.

Put a layer of rice 1/3 inch deep on the pastry, leaving a 1 1/4 inch border all around. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon half the veloute sauce over the rice. Lay the salmon slices over the sauce to cover. Sprinklw with salt, pepper, dill, and lemon juice. Cover with the rest of the veloute sauce, then choped eggs. Top with another 1/3 inch layer of rice.

Roll the second half of the pastry to 1/4 inch. Trim to 9 x 16 inch rectangle. Paint the border of the lower crust with the egg wash and top with the second pastry layer, carefully pressing the edges together without stretching the loaf. Trim to about an inch around the loaf. Press edges with tines of a fork.

Cut two small holes in top of loaf, about 1/2 inch in diameter. Gather scrps of pasry together and cout out decorative shapes. Paint entire loaf with egg wash and stick on the decorations. Then glaze them.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put loaf in oven and immediately lower temerature to 375. Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours until pastry is golden brown.

Remove from oven and let stand about 15 minutes. Pour 2 tbls melted butter into each hole in the top. Cut loaf into 1-inch slices and serve with remaining melted butter.

Obviously, with the rice & pastry you can skip the potatoes with this one. For a luncheon, as you suggest, I would think of a light consomme starter (see my posts about celery consomme, for example, which would be ideal) followed by this dish along with a fennel & orange, or other fruity salad.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

meant to say that if you want a hot side with the salmon in pastry, creamed pearls and peas go well with it---or with just about any salmon dish. So, too, does red onion marmalade---which gives you a nice color contrast as well.

• americanwit
    17 years ago

Ingredients

Tomato pieces 1 cup

Basmathi rice 2 cups

Garam masala 1 teaspoon

Ginger paste ½ teaspoon

Garlic paste ½ teaspoon

Coriander leaves 2 tablespoon

Salte to taste

Green chilis 3 nos

Ghee ½ cup

Kismis , cashew nuts 50 grams

Method

Clean and fry basmathi rice in little ghee. Heat garam masala and grind with ginger, garlic, green chilis and coriander leaves. Put a vessel on heat with ghee. Add tomato pieces and grinded masalas. Stir constantly for few minutes. Add rice and mix well. Put this in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water. Cook for five minutes. Heat a tablespoon of ghee and fry nuts and kismis. Mix with the rice. Tomato rice is ready to serve.

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Glenda..we want to add more cabbage to our diet here..So I made your coleslaw today..and... We love it!

I will even add it to a couple of showers I will do this year..
    It's delish:)Even w/out the salmon!

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

Mighty pleased you enjoyed it.

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

I also made your coleslaw, Glenda, and it was delicious. I used what I had on hand so added sweet red pepper instead of green (the green would have been better), chopped red onion instead of the green onions and only about half the amount of cranberries because I was at the bottom of the bag.

Served it with baked flounder and parslied potatoes and it looked so pretty, I took a picture of it before I mixed in the dressing.

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

Wow, the salad looks delicious!
    Thanks for sharing the picture!

• snowball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey
    thanks a bunch!!! that salad looks so good going to have to try it!!
    Sheila

• sharon_fl
    17 years ago

With your salmon entree..I'd suggest parslied potatoes or restuffed baked potatoes. I also like to make a Hollendaise sauce for my salmon-yummy! An "eye-appealing" side dish? Hollow out most of a nice big tomato. Turn upside down on paper toweling to drain. Rub outside of the tomato with olive oil, then bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile-cook frozen green peas. Once done...add some butter, a few sauteed button mushrooms, pearl onions-(both are optional).Remove bake tomatoe & place on a lettuce lined salad plate or in a sauce dish, add the peas & serve.