Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrseldoo

Quilted Christmas Gift Ideas?

mrseldoo
15 years ago

I really enjoy handmaking Christmas gifts. I have done stockings and tote bags before, and this year I am doing notebook covers. I was wondering if anyone else had some ideas on what to make family and friends?

-Jen

Comments (12)

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

coasters
    potholders
    placemats
    tabletoppers
    small wallhangings
    checkbook covers

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I like table runners with matching placemats or placemats with matching coasters. My mom especially appreciates them.

Annie

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Seasonal table runners or table toppers would be nice. A table topper (IMHO) is a square that is placed in the middle of any table to add color and design and protect from lamps, vases, s&p shakers/sugar bowls, etc.

A 12" (finished) star block with a border or two makes a nice table topper or (with a sleeve on back) small wall hanging or door quilt. I prefer to use thin flannel or just interfacing for the batting to keep the topper as flat as possible so items will sit securely on it.

Quilted pot holders folded in half and stitched make great cases for eye glasses.

The Criss-Cross Coasters are very easy and fun to make. I've included a link to Allsorts; scroll down through lots of fun stuff to find the directions for the coasters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenny's wonderful Allsorts web site

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Another thought with heating costs so high now: draft stoppers, long "snake" shaped tubes sewn and filled with aquarium gravel then the open end hand sewn shut. Lay in front of any door where you can feel cold drafts coming in at the bottom. Be sure to make them long enough to fit the door where they are to be used. They really work!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Teresa, Thanks for the idea about the folded potholders! I think I'm going to use it for my rotary cutter. I have a potholder that I really don't want to use because of sentimental value, so this is a great way to keep it visible and still use it.

SharonG/FL

• chrizty
    15 years ago

lap throws with matching slippers :)

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

I am quilting casserole covers and candle mats.
    I also like the idea of the pot holder for glasses, I only wear mine to drive and watch TV at night so they get thrown around a lot. So does my rotary cutter LOL.
    Rosa

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

The folded pot holders,can also be folded in a way to accomodate your scissors.I do a lot of table runners,placemats,the towels that you hang over the oven door handle,or in my case the fridge.Cover for paperback books for readers,the remote control holders for your chair or sofa.There are tons of things out there.
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

The folded pot holders,can also be folded in a way to accomodate your scissors.I do a lot of table runners,placemats,the towels that you hang over the oven door handle,or in my case the fridge.Cover for paperback books for readers,the remote control holders for your chair or sofa.There are tons of things out there.
    Kathi

• redpenny
    15 years ago

Quilted shopping bags...........luggage tickets....eye glass cases...........
    Red

• connie_in_western_nc
    15 years ago

Microwave baked potato bags

"No mistake-easy to make" pillow cases

• rosajoe_gw
    15 years ago

Connie, I had forgotten that I am making pillow cases for the little ones for their stockings. My fam has gottten so big that I have to make a list!
    Red, you reminded me that our WalMart already has the shopping bags for sale and there is no way in my life time that I will buy one!!!!!Great gift idea!!!!!!
    Rosa