Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jparkfire

Unique Landscaping for Hiding Equipment

jparkfire
14 years ago

I am looking for some unique landscaping ideas for hiding my pool equipment. I will have a screen enclosure if that makes any difference. I live in a FL HOA which requires that the equipment be hidden. I was even thinking about hiding the equipment away from the house. Does it really need to be right up against the house? Has anyone ever buried it? You see I am really trying to think outside of the box. I am sure there is some experience out there I can draw from for ideas. I love pictures too. Thanks

Comments (7)

• fletch58
    14 years ago

Buried pool equipment ? Ah, have you seen pool equipment ?
    It comes with filters and heaters. Not a real good idea ..

• tommyw
    14 years ago

Here is what I did - My propane heater manual specified how many minimum feet of clearance was needed between the exhaust vent and the nearest combustible material. I built a wooded "shed" with a 6 inch opening all along the bottom and the top of the "shed" is made of privacy lattice and is twice the distance required from the heater. There are two swing out doors for easy access and the flooring is a concrete pad with a buried six inch drainage pipe for my filter backwash. The result is a quieter equipment area, no harmful UV rays to the equipment and cooler environment for the motors. There is NO increase in temperature inside the shed with the equipment running because of more than adequate ventilation.

• jparkfire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Tommy. However my HOA doesn't allow any kind of fence or lattice like you suggest. That is why I must go with some kind of landscape feature, grouping, etc.

• marco97
    14 years ago

My Neighbor used a Green 4-5' high vinyl fence surrounding only the pool equipment which they located on the back of their property and not next to the home. It reduces most of the noise and is hardly noticed since it blends in with the green landscape. I will do the same with our pool build since it is cheaper to locate the equipment out by the pool versus next to the house 40' away.

Anyone else have other ideas, please post pics... i will take a picture of my neighbors setup and post tonight.

• marco97
    14 years ago

jparkfire, since the HOA does not allow a fence, the idea above may not help you but you do bring up a great topic that hopefully will also be useful to others.

I like your idea of burying it. Build a concrete pad with 3 walls about 30-36" high and plant around the area. I think this would minimize some of the noise and make it easier to conceal or hide.

good luck!
    Marco

• michelle_phxaz
    14 years ago

Here is what we did, a before and after pic of the wall. We also did the same thing to our AC unit. It looks great and the noise level is almost nothing also.

Simple block wall, stucco, and paint. We used leftover flagstone from our patio and walkway project to create the cap.

Sorry the first pic is too small, the equipment is in the upper left of the pic against the wall.

Here is a "during" pic too!

• jparkfire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. My issue is a little different. I will have a screen enclosure and a fence is not allowed, so I must hide the equipment with other things like rocks, planters or maybe shrubery. Because it is a Florida pool and the neighborhood is Tuscan in design I really need to find more ideas. I mat end up with a small wall thet matches the house, like many others in the area, but I am looking to do something different. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.