Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_leopold

Dogs eating sticks

organic_leopold
14 years ago

We just got a dachshund, and he often chooses to eat sticks from the garden instead of the bones we give him. Anyone run into this behavior and know a good way to curtail it? I know the chewing is good for their teeth, but perhaps we need better treats...

Comments (8)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Things I would try . . .

Picking up more of the sticks, not allowing the dog in the garden area, spraying the sticks with bitter apple stuff, teaching the dog the "drop it" or "leave it" command. Maybe trying to teach the dog the "leave it" command to some flags and then place the flags around the garden area.

I wouldn't let the dog eat sticks as they could splinter and cause issues in the digestive tract although most will usually just pass through as fiber.

I only give my dogs frozen raw beef marrow bones to chew as raw hide can be unsafe if swallowed, and cooked or smoked bones are very unsafe and splinter easily. Bully sticks are another option, but I can't stand the smell.

If the marrow is too rich for the dog at first you can take some out with a spoon. The raw bones are perfect for cleaning teeth-you do need to be watching them as with anything you give a dog to chew because their still is some risk with raw bones.

You can find them at your local grocery store meat counter or butcher shop. Freezing them first makes them last longer, and always discard them after the bones are cleaned.

• trinigemini
    14 years ago

I dont think you have to discard the marrow bones once cleaned. Our bully has been playing with it for months now. Originally she had it when it was frozen...then when it got gross and I decided she was finished with it we boiled it to clean everything off...now she gnaws on it all the time....you could also restuff with peanut butter.

• roobear
    14 years ago

Trinigemini- your right you don't have to if you boil them to get rid of any bacteria that would start to grow after a few hours. Boiling and filling is a great idea-I just don't have the time to do it and the bones are so cheap anyway-so I end up just throwing mine out when their done.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Supervise your dog and when it does pick up a stick, tell it to drop it and provide and encourage your dog other chew toys. sterilized bones, treat filled kongs, balls etc, good luck

• momof2doxies
    14 years ago

Every dachshund that I have had over the past 50 years has tried to be a stick eater. The first command that I teach a new one is the leave it command. As soon as they show interest in the stick, I use the command. It takes longer with some, but eventually they get it. If the dog actually has the stick in its mouth, then the drop it command is used. I try hard not to let them get that far, but sometimes they are faster than I am.

Good luck,

Linda (soon to be momof3doxies)

• handymac
    14 years ago

Hmmm, I have had a couple mutts---and have a whippet mix now with a delicate digestive system---who ate/eat sticks. One lab mix would scavenge wood scraps from my woodworking shop.

One of Molly's favorite toys is a limb from a sweet gum tree that weighs as much as she does.

Have not been able to pinpoint any problems at all from the stick consumption in any dog yet.

• organic_leopold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the help, especially momof2doxies...yeah, we have been training commands and he's having particular trouble with "drop it" or "leave it," although "come," "stay," and "lie down" he's already got down. Probably just needs more practice, and redirection to acceptable chews.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

My doxie loved to do this when he was younger - he did grow out of it, although he will still chew to pieces any dead plant matter that falls off the houseplants. He would make sure to try to find and bring home a stick on the way home from walks. It was so funny.

Dachshunds are small dogs with large snouts, mouths and teeth. They need to chew and gnaw - the best natural chews are the marrow bones and other raw bones, as mentioned above.

I never found a chew toy my doxie couldn't chew up and eat except max strength Kongs but he's not interested on chewing them. The max-strength Nylabones get rough edges that can hurt dog's tongues. Natural raw bones are best.