Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redbirds_gw

Painting wood floor

redbirds
17 years ago

We're underway on a big kitchen gutting and remodel. Now that the sandwich of 3 layers of old flooring and a subfloor for each have been scraped off, we're left with hardwood underneath. It is not in horrible shape, but I don't think sanding and refinishing is the best route to take.

We painted the floor in another room in the house where we also removed a thick layer of old flooring. We were happy with the look, but it isn't standing up to walking traffic all that well. We used porch paint, but did not use any poly or other sealer on top.

Does anyone have any good advice about getting a good painted finish on a floor that will stand up to a lot of foot traffic? The kitchen certainly gets it!

Comments (18)

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

Ues poly or some sort of sealer... 3-5 coats.

• Debbie Downer
    17 years ago

Ive been trying to find a source for epoxy paint for use on my kitchen floor - which is about the most waterproof and durable stuff there is - we used it INSIDE A SHOWER over PLASTER WALLS and believe it or not it held up for quite a few years.

But alas cannot seem to locate- maybe because the the stuff is so lethal to breathe as you apply it-- nasty fumes that linger for days.

But anyway if anyone knows of a source please let me know.

• scryn
    17 years ago

Mmm, I would try a boating supply place, just because the paints they use on boats are very waterproof and durable. I wonder if they could give you some suggestions.

• Boopadaboo
    17 years ago

Benjamin Moore had an epoxy paint that my painter used to paint my floors black. I probably wouldnt recommend black, but it has held up pretty well. took a long time to cure though.

Before:

After:

• kyliegirl
    17 years ago

I also used BM porch paint in my living room and it is holding up real good. I washed, sanded and primed the floor before putting on the porch paint.

• maddiemom6
    17 years ago

We are using Sherwin WIlliams floor paint.. I have it on my porch and it's held up very well. We are going to do it on a kitchen floor with high hopes.

maddie

• Debbie Downer
    17 years ago

Thanks Boop, that hall looks great - found all kinds of info about epoxy paints and all kinds of other industrial strength floor paints-- http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper_pg3.asp?L=prod&K=coat

I had clear epoxy finish on a wood floor once in a former home and ten yrs later it still looked like it had just been refinished. Stuff seemed virually indestructible

• julienola
    17 years ago

Why would you choose to paint the floor instead of staining it?

• LorettaF
    17 years ago

Four years ago I painted over the old linoleum in our kitchen with 2 coats of reg. wall paint, then used 3 coats of water-based polyurethane. It has held up well without any chips so far. We have an eat-in kitchen, so the chairs get scraped against it all the time.

• Debbie Downer
    17 years ago

If I paint it will only be in the kitchen where its too far gone (dark black stains from water that too deep to be sanded out). I like rustic but this is just plain yucky. Alternative suggestions welcome. I did try wood bleach, didn't work.

• stanlie_gw
    17 years ago

This is kinda off the wall but could you work the stains into a design. Sounds like you want a natural floor.

You could refinish the floor and then do a painted "rug" in the center. Or if the stains are small and scattered maybe a chckerboard design would work. For the dark squares you could use a dark stain like walnut or ebony or you could use an opaque stain in a wood tone or a solid color. Or you could use paint.

Another idea would be to use an all over opaque stain. This would cover up the dark spots but still let the wood grain show thru.

• troubador
    17 years ago

Did you try oxalic acid to bleach the stains out? You mix it from a powder with hot water, and apply it to the stained areas. Works well on oak especially.
    If you want an epoxy that doesn't stink, check Porter Paints Duraglaze, it's a waterborne epoxy with a faint alcohol smell - I've used it in hospitals, nursing homes, schools etc where odor was an issue. It's an equal volume product, mix one gallon A with one gallon B, stir, let steep for 30-45 minutes and you have about 8 hours pot life before it sets up in the can. I've used it on shower floors, sinks, etc. and it's very durable over a firm substrate. It can be tinted with universal colorants to almost any color.
    Clearcoating a painted finish is also a good idea; I have used Varathane Diamond Finish waterborne, same stuff used on bowling alleys because it goes on over almost any finish which hasn't been waxed.

• calliope
    17 years ago

Painted floors are making a come-back. They can be very charming in old homes. I am still renovating a house we have lived in for over twenty five years. When the hubby bought the place, they had to move in quickly after making it fit for habitation. Thankfully the integrity of the age was just covered up and not destroyed. Room by room, I'm tearing down modern paper and repairing the plaster and removing the carpeting. I plan to paint the stairs to the second story, and perhaps one bedroom floor. You can see where they'd been painted many decades ago. It was a pretty common way to finish off the plank floors here, as well.

• redbirds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, we decided to go ahead and sand the floors since they were pretty uneven...and we were really pleased with the turnout! I was shocked at how gorgeous the wood was under all the paint, varnish and other gook. So I plan to finish the kitchen floors with Waterlox, no stain needed, and I think they'll look great.

I will still heed this advice for re-doing the office floor. Half of that room used to be a porch, so the boards all run the opposite direction. I imagine we'll want to repaint that floor since it is pretty beat-up. Thanks!

• big_tex
    17 years ago

Boopadaboo,

Your floors look awesome! Is that Phillipsburg Blue or Van Cortland Blue on the walls? Love the walls and the trim? What's the trim color?

Actually I'm most interested in the type of Epoxy paint your painter used. BM has several options. Do you remember which one it was?

I'm thinking he used Epoxy Ester Gloss Enamel M25

Unfortunately I can't tell. Do you know why he went with an Epoxy and not a Urethane? I'm painting some Tendura on a front porch and I'm looking at either BM's oil based Porch Paint or this Epoxy.

Please give me all the details if you can.

Thx!!!

Big Tex

• Boopadaboo
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Big Tex. that blue is actually from Lowes - it is called Bungalow Blue from the Eddie Bauer paint collection. I used Bungalow Gold in the dining room. I really like the bungalow colors. I am not sure why he went with the Epoxy. I think he thought it would last longer. It did take a long time to cure. The trim color is just as white a white I could find with no tint of color in it. Used that all over the house. I think it was New Snow from Lowes again.

That Epoxy Ester Gloss Enamel does sound like the one he used. He called the paint store and BM and after discussing it with them, that is what he chose.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me as well, I dont' always check this particular forum since I am selling my house and don't have a lot of projects going on at the moment....

Here is a link that might be useful: More foyer pics

• dlachance603_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Has anyone heard of using a floor product such as armstrong clear for linoluem type floors or "mop and glow" to protect a painted floor?