Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipshot_gw

Affresh vs. Washer Magic

chipshot
15 years ago

We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so good (fingers crossed). Leaving the door and detergent tray open, HE powder only, vinegar, no fabric softeners, clean cycle with bleach monthly, etc. A packet of Affresh came with the machine. Not sure whether we need to use it though. Is it as much for regular preventative maintenance as rescuing moldy machines?

Got a dollar off coupon for Washer Magic. How does it compare to Affresh? Different chemicals (sodim perclorate vs. citric acid). Do both have something to contribute to the cause, or are they at odds with each other? Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting using them at the same time.

Summit Brands website says Washer Magic is for "older washer maintenance". It also says that Whirlout, suggested by someone on this forum, is for whirlpools, spas, hot tubs, and jetted tubs (nothing about clothes washers). What chemical is the active ingredient in Whirlout? Is there anything in it that can damage a washing machine?

What are the early warning signs that one of the above products needs to be used? I'd be happy to continue our practices but want to nip any problems in the bud before they become major. All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summit Brands

Comments (33)

• chambleemama
    15 years ago

I've used Whirlout and Affresh as my maintenance cleaners. I read a post from an LG repairman that LG recommended they use the Whirlout, not the Washer Magic, to get the crud out in cases of mold buildup. The manufacturer doesn't sell it for that. It's cheaper than the Affresh tablets. You can find it in the jacuzzi tub section at Home Depot, and you use 4 tablespoons--no more than that--directly in the washer basket. I use it instead of bleach for my "clean washer" cycle. I have a Duet also.

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

I tried Washer Magic in my Neptune, but it didn't clean away the mold spots that are forming on the rubber gasket. I also don't think it's supposed to clean away built up soap residue.
    After reading the bottle I think it's really just for aiding in removing lime and mineral build up.

Now Whirlout says it's supposed to rid odor, soap scum, body oils, mold, dirt & other residue. Which is more of the problems most of us face with our machines, it seems.
    Also Whirlout is the product that LG and Maytag are recommending.

Janet

• chipshot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why do you use Whirlout instead of bleach in the "clean washer" cycle, chambleemama? Have you checked with Whirlpool about using it? I'm wondering whether using it might void the warranty and also wonder about it as a preventative as opposed to a crud eliminator.

It's interesting that Maytag is recommending Whirlout (perhaps separately from Whirlpool?), Janet. Where did you see or hear that? From what I can see, Whirlpool's website only mentions Affresh (and Gritt Grabber cloths to remove residue from rubber door seals).

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool Affresh

• chambleemama
    15 years ago

Since a sample tablet of Affresh came in my washer, I figured that it was approved by the manufacturer, and since Whirlout does essentially the same thing, I used that.

I'm sure that using bleach and the "clean washer" cycle would prevent mold buildup, but this makes more sense to me. Bleach isn't going to remove as much of the oils, for instance. It's probably overkill for me to do this more than 2-3 times a year, anyway, as I wash frequently with hot water and bleach, leave the door open, and never use fabric softener. I did try some liquid Gain HE this weekend. After using Charlie's Soap, this smells way too strong! I think I'll give the Gain away. If the smell lingers this much after a couple of uses, I can imagine what builds up over time.

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

chipshot my appliance dealer that carries LG and Maytag told me about Whirlout and said that's what the companies are recommending to use to clean your washer is you are experiencing mold and residue problems.
    He did also mention the Affresh product, saying it's something new they came out with. Probably the convenience of just placing a tablet in the washer is more appealing to people than measuring out the Whirlout.
    I don't know what the active ingredient is in either one, as I haven't used either yet, but I know that the Washer Magic I used didn't make any difference in the mold on my rubber seal :-(

How would we find out exactly what the active ingredient is in each product? I'm no chemist, lol.

Janet

• chipshot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked Maytag's website and found it also recommends Affresh. I agree that measuring is no big deal and that convenience may be the biggest difference between Affresh and Whirlout. Any chemists on-board who can tell us what's in Whirlout? I saw in an earlier thread here (forget which one) that Affresh is sodium perclorate and recall something about that substance being found in a number of products. I guess I'll just keep using bleach for now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag recommends Affresh

• jakvis
    15 years ago

Rather than go to the expense of buying Affresh I recommend to my customers to use Oxiclean, Sun or any of the other Oxygen bleaches to clean their washer. They all contain sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. It's just that the Affresh is compressed into a tab form. I recommend 4 to 6 scoops using the little scoop that comes in the bucket then setting the washer for the hottest wash cycle it has.
    The nice thing is a whole bucket of Sun is about the same price as a couple Affresh tabs and you still have plenty left over to use with your wash.

• rlk227_aol_com
    15 years ago

I use 1/2 cup of Cascade dishwasher soap with hot water, This gets my washer sparkling clean.

• chipshot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And now there's Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. Ooh, what's in a name? "A powerful oxygenated bleach system". Not sure how that differs from anything else. Haven't seen it on local store shelves yet. Anyone here? Anyone tried it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tide Washing Machine Cleaner

• mysteryclock
    14 years ago

Void the warranty? For using an oxygen bleach product? Who precisely told you this -- LG corporate or some local sales person, because that flat out doesn't make any sense -- unless you dumped a whole container in at once or something not-too-bright like that....

• twebbz
    14 years ago

JAKVIS is right! AFFRESH and SUN Oxygen Cleaner have the same ingredients.

• tomat
    13 years ago

Thanks Jakvis. We have just purchased a Whirlpool Duet Washer and after reading this thread were looking for a comparable product to Affresh. We found Walmart sells a similar Oxi Stain Remover product under their "Great Value" brand. It is a 2.27 Kg pail. The product has the same ingredients as Affresh (sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate), and this pail is the same price as the Affresh package of 3 tablets!!! The sku for the Walmart product is 8113174203. Hope this helps.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

I saw a product comparison on TV between Affresh and Smelly Washer Cleaner (www.smellywasher.com). Smelly Washer Cleaner won. You might want to check it out.

• czechchick2
    13 years ago

I know many people complain about mold etc but many also complain about too much scent in detergent/laundry. I just don'tget it. I use sufficient amount of detergent, for some it would seem too much but when done washing and rinsing, there is barely any scent left. Persil for example is pretty strong and so is Gain and Ariel. And after drying our laundry smells like new fabric!
    I know I sound like broken record but I'd say if you can smell the detergent after you done washing, maybe you don't rinse it properly and all the chemicals and the residue will gunk up and stink up washer.
    On Oxyclean, I would never use it in the washer. Can't be good. I had once stains from mulch on my driveway and nothing would get rid of. I even tried pool acid too. Oxy ate the black stains out! Can you imagine what it can do in washer over time, specialy if people don't use enough rinses? I never use bleach either. I see what it does, it is slimy, it stinks and it eats up stuff. Hot water is safer and effective.
    We use hardly any cleaning products at home. I have powerfull pressure steamer that cleans every little corner,around faucets and inside toilet bowls too.
    No fumes, no residue and no mold.
    Hot water and extra rinsing will keep washer mildew free.

• myclementine
    13 years ago

Does anyone have an update on all these products listed? Is one working better than the other?

• jakvis
    13 years ago

I've been servicing appliances for over 30 years and I've torn apart 1000s of washers. I think I can say with some authority that the oxigen bleaches will not harm your washer. However chlorine bleach is an oxidizer to steel and will cause it to rust. Chlorine will also attack some rubber seal compounds.
    It's not that I say to not use chlorine bleach just that you should only use a little and never add it the same time as the detergent because it renders detergent ineffective.
    Always read the directions before using any product and if you have any questions call the 800 number listed on the package.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Um....look at the video. Observe the way she's STUFFING her items in there. That load cannot possibly wash well. No chance.

Not saying I know the whole story. Only saying what I saw going on there would preclude any hope of decent wash results. Even the motion-picture of that/those items going around tells the story,

Plus I have my own five-year experience with a Duet 9400 with zero problems and excellent results. All I did was read the manual and do what it said.

I don't know what's going on with all these other machines. However, mine is pretty much exactly like theirs and my laundry situation is not in any way exceptional. Something's being missed.

• sandy808
    13 years ago

With as many people having issue with front loaders, there ARE problems that the manufacturers need to address. Yes, some people will use something incorrectly, but the vast majority are intelligent people that know how to treat a washer and dryer.

Most people will load a washer correctly and not twist and tangle their clothing before doing so. I can't imagine someone saying, "I think I will twist my clothing around before loading today". Some washers (not mine most of the time) tangle the clothing up terribly.

Most people are following the detergent directions and trust that if they follow them that should be the correct amount. It's not our job as a consumer to guess if the manufacturer directions are lying to us.

With the exception of a freak power surge, and not using a surge protector, we are not blowing up our washer and dryer computer boards for chuckles.

I don't know of anyone that gets into the washer guts and makes the bearings give out, or tells the tachometers in the motors to quit working correctly.

I was told by a Whirlpool repairman that front loaders hold water in them, and that is a common source of odors. The manufacturers should address this design flaw. Although I keep my door ajar after every wash, and crack the detergent dispenser, I should not have to do this. I have pets, and if I have small grandchildren visiting, it is a huge concern.

I paid a lot of money for my Duets. A five year old, well cared for set, should not need a new motor already. It had a board put in it a year ago. This is ridiculous, and it is NOT my fault. It is a shoddy product, and if Whirlpool chooses not to take responsibility and improve their front loaders, they will not be getting my washer and dryer dollars in the future.

• asolo
    13 years ago

"...some people will use something incorrectly, but the vast majority are intelligent people that know how to treat a washer and dryer."

From my associations and observations I would say the "vast majority" don't have a clue how any of their machines work. They don't understand anything about them other than what buttons they're supposed to push and when they don't perform as they fantasize they should, they haven't the slightest idea what to do next other than call someone hoping the magic will come back.

"Most people are following the detergent directions and trust that if they follow them that should be the correct amount. It's not our job as a consumer to guess if the manufacturer directions are lying to us."

Oh, really? Tell me, then, how is it that the manufacturer of the machine or of the detergent would have the foggiest idea of what your particular water quality is? Or of what temperature your water heater is set at? Or of how long the line from heater to machine is? Consider the number of posts appearing on this site from people who have bunged their machines up by overdosing with non-HE detergents. Consider the number who came back expressing surprise that "they didn't know it was that important." Even with HE products, the difference in required use of product for acceptable results can be HUGE depending upon considerations of water quality and heater/line considerations. How are ANY of these things anyone's responsibility but the end-users to determine? "Lying"? Oh, please!

I have no idea what your experience has been but your post sounds to me like you're certainly searching for someone to blame. My problem in accepting all you've written is that little ol' me, having what I believe to be the same machine as you do for the same amount of time, and having no particular laundry-wisdom to bring to bear other than reading the manual and doing what it said (and knowing my water quality and having some sense about detergent-dosing) have had excellent results and zero problems. Interesting.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Well said asolo. And additionally, how does the manufacturer know if you have a 2.2 cf or a 4.7 cf machine? And is it the machine's fault when people take a packed laundry basket of clothes and dump the whole wad into the machine in one lump? How can that NOT be trouble! I haven't found one manufacturer who sets out to design a machine that will tangle the clothes. There's not a big market for clothes tanglers. Sometimes, as with the Oasis/Bravos/Cabrio they redesign things after getting it out and see how people will goof things up. Most of the time if people will follow directions there is no trouble. Occasionally there is.

There's more to washing clothes in modern machines than there was in the days of the wringer washer, scrub board or beating them on a rock. People need to understand that a front loader is different than a conventional top loader. And there takes some adaptation to use it to it's best.

Maybe people don't go into the guts and make the bearings go out but there's plenty who overload the machines, overdose with detergent (well, the lable on the jug SAID to use this much and it's not my place to question them!!!) and other negligence that's not the fault of the manufacturer.

I'm always amused when people think they can dictate to corporations how they should run their companies! Yeah, they're going to change it to suit you. Oh yeah, that'll happen! You married to Morgan Fairchild too, Tommy Flanagan? It'll be interesting to see what company will change things for you so they can get your washer and dryer dollars. Keep us posted.

• sandy808
    13 years ago

I think you need to sit back and take a chill pill.

Computer boards and motors should last longer than a few years. Washers should not get stinky and moldy. I'm quite fussy about my clothes and am not of the crowd that throws a months worth of laundry in one load. I'm not that lazy. I don't believe most people are that lazy.

As far as customer satisfaction goes...well, it's golden. I run my own business and wouldn't dream of having the attitude towards a customer that you have. No matter what. You may not mind doing business with corporations that don't care, but I do. There is always another brand to go with. People have a right to expect a quality product when plunking down their hard earned cash.

I also don't get where I said that the detergent manufacturers are lying. I never said that. I DID say that the customer is assuming the directions on their product are accurate. To assume otherwise would make no sense.

Telling someone they MUST have done this or that to have brought on their problem is downright insulting to that person.

This is a forum for discussion. Quit taking things so personally.

• asolo
    13 years ago

"I also don't get where I said that the detergent manufacturers are lying. I never said that. I DID say that the customer is assuming the directions on their product are accurate. To assume otherwise would make no sense."

Um....actually, you did. What you DID say was what I quoted you as saying....verbatim. The word you used was, indeed, "lying".

I don't know why my machine works wonderfully and yours has been a disappointment. However, having seen that video linked by another poster, I can certainly understand why those particular people may have had trouble with their machines. That's where I entered the thread. I think this is where I'll leave it.

• jakvis
    13 years ago

Hi Sandy808, Your Whirlpool service tech didn't quite tell you the whole truth...
    The fact is that ALL washers, Top load, front load, and even dishwashers, hold water in them after the cycle finishes. He should have continued to tell you that ALL washers, Top Load, Front Load and Dishwashers, can get a build up in them when used improperly. He should have even expanded this thought by saying that All washers, (you get the drift) can get a smell from the build up.
    The only reason I can think of why he would tell you what he did can only be from his own lack of experience and training or he just was saying what you wanted to hear. If he would have been a professional he would have explained that there are millions of front load users who don't experience your issues and then should have explained the who, what and whys

• gottasay
    13 years ago

I have a set of Kenmore front load (Whirlpool products) with the mold on the door liner problem. I've taken good care of my washer & dryer and wanted to know if the part would be replaced since I keep the machines under warranty. Bottom line according to the Sears repairman, that was out doing a maintenance on the set is, in the Sears manual it says per the repairman to keep the washer door and the detergent drawer open after using the machine to dry out the inside of the machine to avoid 'the mold on the door liner from growing' in the first place. Not to do so voids your warranty to have the liner replaced! It was the repairman's decision that I did not leave my door open when I first got my washer and dryer therefore no replacement for me. I asked him what the price was for me to pay for it. I was quoted $400.00 from Sears in Atlanta Georgia. There is only one small area of mold at the bottom of the door. I have attempted cleaning this area with a number of solutions to no avail. I have used the Affresh product for a number of years off and on. Of course, I leave the door open however, I, like the other lady, feel I should not have to do this. These are expensive machines and are designed to have the doors closed. I purchased the machine on the sales floor at Sears from a sales person. I should have been advised of this fact at the time of the sales presentation. To bury this information in the back of a manual amounts to fraud. This is not only a design flaw it is a policy fraud by Sears to carry a warranty in this manner. To bilk customers for $400 on the replacement cost of a $20 part makes the situation even worst for Sears. This lady is correct to say the door should not have to stay in an open position and I agree with her 100%.

• maks_2000
    13 years ago

Affresh has fragrance that causes my allergies to act up so once I finish with it I plan to use an Oxy product or Clorox. I have had my units about 9 months & attempt to keep the door cracked -- I was also advised to keep the door/lid on my top loader open to avoid mildew since it is a moist environment. I try to use the clean cycle every 60 days. A sales person told me the original Neptunes were using a new material for the gasket that bred mildew more easily & newer Maytag/Whirlpool models are not using the material. Additionally drainage holes for the door gasket originally were placed so that all the water did not drain out after the cycle. It caused the mildew to form. Newer models apparently have corrected the drainage issue. I am not sure how long since these items have been corrected.

• shaggnasty
    13 years ago

We have a Duet washer that never had visible mold but began to stink, despite the fact we used Affresh, did the bleach cycle, etc.

Turns out it was the filter behind the bottom front panel of the washer. Take out the 3 Torx screws at the bottom, remove the panel and unscrew the filter cover (you can't miss it). I was surprised at the amount of water retained, so slide a cookie sheet, with sides of course, to catch this water. I cleaned the filter cover with Clorox, as well as inside the filter itself. All that was in there was a couple of small rocks, but I've read of other people finding lots of stuff in there. Put it back together and it's like brand new. I think I could do the whole process in less than 10 minutes next time.

I would assume the Kenmores would work more or less the same.

And be sure and unplug your washer first.

• evidencebased
    9 years ago

did someone say "perchlorate" is in these washer cleaners? that's a serious pollutant and causes thyroid cancer at the very least.

• Laura Strong
    8 years ago

Speaking of front loaders, I have a duet and IT's ALWAYS leaking...thoughtS?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Where's it leaking at?

• Pheck Phul
    8 years ago

@Laura Strong

I have an LG front-loader, and the only time it will leak is if it is overloaded. If it's leaking from the door then perhaps overloading is the issue.

• Pheck Phul
    8 years ago

I think the reason so many Americans have issues with front-loaders is their inexperience with the technology. Europeans almost exclusively use front-loaders, and I've never noticed a mildew smell when visiting friends. And yes, I've had ample time to notice as at least two friends had their washers in their bathrooms, of which there was only one and I was using it the whole time I stayed with them.

Front-loaders have more "nooks and crannies" for gunk to accumulate and promote the growth of mold. Likewise, the door seals also have flaps that gather gunk and provide mold habitats. My guess is that the people who complain about the mildew haven't properly followed the cleaning regimen as laid out in the owner's manual. By the time the mold becomes a problem the door seal is so filthy with mold and gunk ('gunk' is the scientific term for the mixture of detergent residue, dirt, lint, and other organic matter that accumulates in washers) that simply running the cleaning cycle with any manner of chemicals won't help. I think once it reaches this point the door seal/gasket needs to be removed, thoroughly clean by hand, and the areas the seal covers in the wash as well. Once this is done properly and owners follow the manufacturer's recommended cleaning schedule all should be well.

• Richard Saupe
    3 years ago

front loaders can build up mildew and mould inside, especially with overdosing

conditioner and liquid soaps instead of powders on low-temperature washers, we always recommend a high temp service wash once a month to kill harmful bacteria and gunk build up in your machine. Regards Richard Appliance Repair Man

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz