Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcross_gw

Flush-mount apron/farmers sink

mcross
14 years ago

I am doing a kitchen remodel, and have my heart set on a stainless steel apron sink. However, I don't really like the way they look when undermount as there are two different levels between the sink and countertops (in front). Has anyone installed an apron sink flush-mount? I'm worried about particles and water getting in the cracks between the sink and cabinets, but don't know if I am making a mountain out of a molehill. Thoughts?

Comments (18)

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

There's certainly a precedent for flush mounts, and they look fabulous. Stainless would seem to be the easiest to mount tightly -- better than the wobbly edges of fireclay.
    I have a regular fireclay apron-front sink, and thought there would be more of an issue with caulking the slightly off-kilter edges to my absolutely knife-edged copper countertop, but it's worked very well and appears to be totally watertight -- all the more so for stainless, I'd presume.

It likely depends on the skill and experience of your installer, but it's not an unusual request and I'm sure you'll find most contractors ready to take it on.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

Ours is flush mounted, old picture unfinished picture here:

No problem's with any water getting caught anywhere. The filled the slight gap betw

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I purchased a SS apron front just like animala's...after seeing that sink, I have opted to do the flushmount too....LOVE it. It has a cleaner and more modern look to me.

Go for it mcross!

• lat61
    14 years ago

For those of you who did the flushmount, did anyone have a laminate top? Sounds like, if the silicon takes care of the potential water gap, it shouldn't matter whether you have a solid surface or laminate, but thought I would double check. Anyone advise against it?

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

I wouldn't. IF everything works--the clearances are tight enough, the calk doesn't fail--it should be fine. If it doesn't, though, you've got a potential nightmare--one I'd rather avoid.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Animala: Still no regrets with the "seam" where the flushmount meets the granite? My contractor is still a negative reveal guy and I just can't see it with this sink (I have the same one).

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    14 years ago

We build a flush mount copper or stainless steel sink in custom sizes. Perhaps that might work for you.

Dino Rachiele

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachiele

• theanimala
    14 years ago

firsthouse_mp, still no issues. After using the kitchen for several months you start to see things you would do differently, but the flush mount sink is not one of them. It is very easy to clean, and so far looks as good today as it did then. I guess we'll see how the caulk looks in a few years, but as of now I still love it. I agree, I just can't see hiding a beautiful sink like this under granite.

• OCJeff
    13 years ago

Curious if anyone regrets this sort of sink mount option.

We are looking at this, but I don't want to make the wrong choice. Does this have any additional maintenance, from leaks, or re-sealing?

The only reason I'm considering this is because with a mitered edge, this is the only way to do it, unless the sink is pushed back inside of the edge, but that will cut into the space for the faucet. The sink is already 21.25" deep, so there isn't much room as is. Pulling it out 1.5" to be flush with the counter helps make space for the faucet and plumbing.

-OCJeff

• Ejpfish63_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have also installed my SS apron sink flush with my granite top. I sealed sink to counter top with an aluminum colored polyurethane sourced from an aviation supply house. The prep work is intensive but the sealant will perform flawlessly. Silicone will fail. Acrylic will fail. Not many products will adhere properly to stainless steel. Pictures will follow soon

• sanmarcosweets
    12 years ago

So I just installed an Apron front Stainless Farm Sink, flush mount, into Oak Butcher Block counter tops. Any suggestions on sealant? Our plumber advised to use grey silicone. But I see the adice to use Aluminum colored poly sealant.
    I would love to hear from those in use for a while.
    Thanks!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Anyone from this thread, still loving their flush mount sink applications?

One more question: Does the SS apron front get scratched by pants buttons or belt buckles?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I don't know where Earl is getting his information on silicone, but I've had to mechanically remove it from over 30 stainless steel sink flanges. It sticks very well.

Pants buttons and belt buckles could scratch stainless, fortunately, scratches in stainless are easily removed or blended in.

• J C
    3 years ago

Went through the entire thread. We have a flush mount Stainless steel sink And have continuous issues with the sealant beard around the stainless steel we are the countertop meet. What brands of sealant are you guys using?

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    3 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC would be the best one to answer your question about the silicone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I prefer clear GE Silicone 2.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    3 years ago

Mine is not flush mount, but it's been installed since 2017 and no issues with particles, etc.