Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsuzi

ACK! Kraftmaid Cabs installed today - another problem!

parsuzi
14 years ago

Cabs were installed today. We just arrived home to find out that they were NOT full overlay, as we ordered. Cannot do anything until tomorrow morning.... we do not have a copy of the order to KM,(I think the GC has it)...may be the KD's error...May be KM's error...all views / drawings show full overlay, extra spacers put in next to walls to allow for full overlay...

Another Kraftmaid quality problem or not? GC installed, too. Not sure what our recourse is. DH on verge of heart attack, he's so ticked off...and he's the most easy-going guy I've ever met.

Me? I just opened a bottle of wine...

Anyone have any experience w/ this one?

I could cry.

Comments (33)

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

What's the style name for the cabinets?

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

No experience here, but a lot of sympathy. Regardless of the source of the error, if you told your GC that the cabinets were supposed to be full overlay, he shouldn't have installed them regardless. Who was responsible for checking the shipment?

Any chance you could like them once you get used to them? And get a discount from whoever made the error?

Give your DH a bottle of wine too.

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

Do you have the style name and some pics of the installation?

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

box says grandview style. autumn blush. We went round and round - visited the kitchen place more than 1/2 dozen times, always insisting on full overlay. I'm betting grandview is a 1/2 inch overlay.

I'm so upset...because I'm worried that this will not end well and somehow it will be our fault....

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

According to the KM site, Grandview is 1/2 inch overlay. I KNOW we chose a full overlay. This was DISCUSSED ad nauseum with the KD....We had originally picked a maple door, then DH asked about the upcharge to switch to cherry - she said it was cheaper...I suspect this is where the problem happened?

Here are some pics. They're going to be giant, b/c I'm too stressed/lazy to reduce.

Upsetting thing is that these look almost exactly like the brookhaven cabs we installed in a house 10 years ago...and DAMN, but we didn't want the same kitchen!

Note the difference in stain color (posted about this last week) on the fridge cab - left side.

DH is looking through paperwork now....

I'm headed for another glass of wine....

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

That is a 1/2" overlay style. NOT full overlay. All the KM doors in the displays show the specs and whether or not they are full overlay or 1/2" etc. I know you thought that you were getting full overlay, but if you chose that doorstyle you were not choosing a full overlay doorstyle. Did the showroom order you a sample door? (It's around a $50 chare to you to do so, and I highly recommend it.) Is it the right door? The one you signed off on? Or did they send the incorrect door?

BTW, a veneered partial overlay doorstyle like you received is the least expensive cherry doorstyle that KM makes. If you paid for an upgraded doorstyle like a full overlay or raised panel, then they owe you at least 15-20% if you are willing to keep them.

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

problem is, we didn't sign off on anything.

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

OK, I see where you posted that you switched to this door style from a maple door style and it was cheaper? That's a red flag if the door is a regular stained door. A full overlay shaker cherry door that was solid and not veneered would be 30-50% cost difference than what you have. A veneered full overlay would be maybe 20% or so more, but full overlay definately costs more. The KD may have thought that meeting a budget number was more important than your specified look. There was definately some miscommunication here though. If you signed off on the doorstyle, and confirmed it with KM before production, it might be tough to get them to say that any error has occurred, especially as what you wanted was quite a bit more money. Would you be willing to pay the cost difference in the two door styles? If you would, then you might have a bit more leverage in getting them to admit to a mistake.

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

only recourse is that we didn't sign off. and every conversation based on full overlay..... dh went to bed. i am very worried about him...

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Idaho-I'm sorry that happened to you. Our boxes are plywood, except two, which are pressboard, which is interesting and another question we will have to raise with them.

Sadly, we nearly went full custom, but decided against it. I can't remember why anymore.

We're both regretting that decision. DH is still upset this morning - said he's not sure how he will get any work done today, now that he has to make phone calls and see what we can do about this. I am a school administrator and we're just on the verge of Christmas break. I won't have time today or tomorrow to use the restroom, let alone worry about the kitchen. In a way, I believe that's a good thing...

And, yes, they're pretty cabs. Just not what we THOUGHT we ordered. And if we're stuck w/ them, I will need to decide on pulls/knobs. You hate to feel stuck w/ something, though, you know?

• monakitchen
    14 years ago

Parsuzi,

I feel your pain, but your cabinets looks amazing and once complete, your kitchen will, too. No one coming in to your house will bat an eyelash about them. It's only you and your hubby who will know they're not exactly what you envisioned. All your visitors will be impressed with the job.

So, by all means, see if you can get the problem solved to your satisfaction with the various people involved in your project. But, really, the worst case scenario is living with gorgeous cabinets.

By the way, is that a wine rack hanging from the cabinet to the right of the window? What a good idea! Damn, I wish I had seen this two months ago! I have a big wine rack built into my island, which means two things: one, I have to spend lots of money to keep it filled with bottles of wine, and two, it eats a big chunk of storage space from the island.

Good luck and enjoy (try).

• dinajo
    14 years ago

So sorry about your predicament... I can see how this could happen in some situations. The first KD we went to spec'd out Kraftmaid Grandview cabinets when we said we were on a budget. We didn't wind up going with this KD, but when I did some further research I found out that Grandview is a partial overlay, veneered door. We were not extremely clear in our preferences, so I understand why this cabinet was suggested (we indicated we wanted cherry, shaker style). If you were very clear in your desire for FULL OVERLAY, then I'm not sure why the KD made this suggestion. Let us know what happens.

• kompy
    14 years ago

Sounds like the kitchen designer made a mistake. (s)he probably looked up a shaker-ish looking cherry doorstyle in the brochure or spec book and saw the Grandview...yeah it is cheaper, than a maple shaker, full overlay door (Huntington). But the Lyndale door (the cherry equivalent to the Hungtinton) is a bit more. It sounds like her product knowledge isn't very good.

If you guys were trying to lower the cabinet cost and she suggested this door and showed you pics, then it's not her fault.

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH called GC first thing this morning. His response? "If you wanted full overlay, we'll get you full overlay." Within 2 hours, he spoke to owner of the kitchen design place, who took full responsibility for the snafu and offered two options: Swap out the doors and drawer fronts for Lynchburg (at no cost to us) or pull all cabs out and we reorder what we want. We'd get a credit for original purchase. They (kitchen place) would pay GC's costs to do that.

I would like to know how they can swap out the doors - are the hinges different? Would this work?

Suzanne

PS We're extremely happy w/ the GC's response to this - not only fast, but w/ options!

And yes, those boxes are for wine. I think you can buy drawers for them (they might be called spice drawers?), but we just ordered them without the drawers w/ the intention of sticking some wine in there. (I love wine...)

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Whew! Maybe all of the crossed fingers out here on GW helped. I am so happy for you. Hopefully now you can just relax a bit. You are going to have a beautiful kitchen.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

We had a couple of damaged doors and they just replaced them willy nilly no big deal to do that for them.

So happy you are going to get your cabinet problem resolved.

And I agree what you have shown in the pictures are gorgeous.

Chris

• cribbs
    14 years ago

They would have to replace the hinges as well but that is not a big deal at all. I would go with the door option if it were me or I would live with the half overlay and get a nice credit....which I could use for a lot of wine. Kitchen looks great.

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're probably going w/ the door switch, as we did place spacers at the end of each run which look really weird now. They were put there specifically to make the full overlays operable.

I'm positively thrilled. The GC and kitchen place couldn't have been more helpful. Really. As stressed as DH was yesterday, well,.... he's completely calm now. DH spoke w/ the kitchen designer, who said she didn't realize they weren't full overlay until she came in this morning. So, I suspect she'll be brushing up on her product knowledge, or check the specs more closely in the future.

Big sigh of relief. Now, help needed w/ countertop color. Was thinking of Zodiaq in cloud white. Is this too much of a contrast? I will probably post a new thread regarding this.

Kitchen experts - thanks so much for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: zodiaq cloud white

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

I'm so glad that this problem is getting resolved so successfully. I think that the cabinets that you have there now are beautiful, but I would not accept them without the full overlay...that is a distinct design choice that you made and are entitled to enjoy. Good for your GC and the KD for 'manning up' and taking action and responsibility, and, more importantly, good for you and your DH!

• squigs
    14 years ago

Parsuzi - what a relief! Glad they are handling it so satisfactorily.

About the countertop, I would tell you to try to get as big a sample piece as you can to check in your kitchen. I think it might look to cold. I'm only saying this because I just had my countertop installed yesterday and I'm not really liking the way it looks with my cherry cabinets. Mine are the cinnamon stain, a little lighter than yours, kind of what your fridge cabinet looks like. And my countertop isn't quartz, it's corian, but it's very light. Every time I walk into the kitchen and see it, it bothers me that it is so stark looking. I have the same exact countertop in my bathroom and it is very soft and pretty looking up there. I'm hoping it may just be the lighting, and I'm going to change out my bulbs to see if that helps. But I can't help but wish I had a little creamier color on the countertop to go with the cherry better.

• worldmom
    14 years ago

Oh, Parsuzi! When I read your post last night, I was just sick over it right along with you. I am SO glad this is getting worked out so easily! Yay for your awesome KD!

• msrose
    14 years ago

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I didn't want to ask this question while you were so stressed, but now that the crisis is semi over, can you tell me what the difference is in 1/2 inch overlay and full overlay?

Laurie

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

oh thank goodness! I'm really glad that they are working this out for you.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I am also glad that they are exchanging the cabinets to give you what you ordered. I loved my almond counters when I first moved into my home but I am so tired of them that I now want darker counters. I think a little bit darker counter top would be a warmer look but I may be wrong.

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate having so many virtual friends to help!

DH will go today to meet w/ kitchen designer, OK the door swap in person, and get the show back on the road.

Christmas dinner will be in the crock pot, but that's OK, we're moving forward.

I am posting some pics of the counter/backsplash samples on the other thread, but here's one anyway (can't resist).

Tile size on left (11/2 x 1/2) is the shape, but the squares on the right show the tile color. It does look different on the card here than it did on the sample board in the showroom. I liked the sample board a lot better.

Here's a picture from sonoma tilemakers' website. It's the same tile, in a 1/2 x 1/2 - color is jade. The color I chose is called minka. This just shows the reflectiveness of it.

Here's the minka from their website. Sorry it's so small, I couldn't seem to enlarge it.

It's got more grays/taupes/blues in it. What do you think? Be HONEST, please.

Suzanne

• hmds
    14 years ago

Suzanne,
    Glad this is working out for you. The kitchen looks very nice. I was wondering if you were having decorative doors applied to the side of the cabinets? Just a thought, it would cover the seam of the stacked wall cabinet & wine rack.

Laurie,
    The overlay of the cabinet refers to the relationship between the cabinet door and the face frame. A 1/2" overlay door style will show more of the cabinet face frame. 1" in most cases. However where cabinets are installed side by side or when fillers are used this space will be larger. A full overlay door style has a larger door and therefore will cover more of the cabinet face frame with usually 1/4" +- exposed. Full overlay is a more expensive option but many people think it offers a cleaner, less busy look.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Your cabinets and countertop choice remind me of my parents' house. They have dark cherry cabinets with a white countertop. They are finally selling after 25 years. It's on the market and I was looking at some photos worrying that it would look out of date. I actually still really like it. I am in kind of a simple, calm mode myself with countertops and if that is what you want then you should do it. I love the quartz countertops in white. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hmds - yes we are SUPPOSED to have decorative end panels on the side of the exposed base cabs and the upper w/ the wine rack. That said, DH didn't confirm this yesterday, as we were more concerned w/ the whole door issue. I guess he didn't want to throw it all at them at once. We can ask today (I will) when we meet w/ the KD. We're also supposed to have trim at the bottom of the uppers to hide the undercounter lighting.
    Suzanne

• msrose
    14 years ago

thank you hmds!

Laurie

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

doors are the easiest and quickest thing to replace by the manufacturer. We had american woodmark and didnt even have to send back a door if we said it had an imperfection, they just sent us new. You should not have any trouble even if the mistake was yours. If you do then you can spread the word that Kraftmaid is a bad company. They do not want to lose customers. It should take under a week to get new doors. ours are full overlay but for cabinets that have a divider in the middle I DO notice a bit more spacing. Other\wise the wall cabinets and base that have do NOT have a style, the doors butt right up to each other and on the edge and bottom.
    Good luck.

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

didnt see you had it all resolved quickly when I posted. Congrats. IMHO I think the white with dark wood will not be as nice as a possibly dark counter, (maybe a black blend) especially with that pretty tile backsplash. The dark will look very classic and rich and will be a good resale value purchase. Soo, I agree with squigs that it may look too stark. The website with that gorgeous mica is what I would pick. Good luck again,

• parsuzi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

IS anyone good w/ photoshop? I'm trying to use 'gimp' to stick my counter and darker backsplace choice on my pictures, but I'm having a terrible time w/ this.

Can anyone help, please?
    TIA
    Suzanne

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County