Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longhall

Me AGAIN! Glass Cabinet Faces

longhall
13 years ago

Hi Everyone! You all have been so great in helping me with my kitchen, so I thank you and have another question...

Going to paint the cabs white and put glass inserts in some of the doors. Would it look ok to do the 2 doors on either side of the microwave (4 total), or should I do the 2 above as well, for a total of 6?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• ktgirl10
    13 years ago

I have oak cabinets that we plan to paint white also and I want to insert glass into a few doors also. How will you do this? Do you plan to replace the doors or cut out the center and have a glass place install it?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I just want to caution you that since you are putting glass on a cab that was made to be hidden, be sure the inside will look good enough to be exposed.

I think doing the whole run with glass would look great if you have pretty things planned for inside that many cabinets.

• longhall
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi kt-I have a cabinet fellow cutting out the middles and replacing with glass. Still trying to decide on bubble or clear glass.
    Thanks dianalo-the insides look good.
    Other opinions? Bubble? Clear? 4 or 6?

• earthpal
    13 years ago

I would only buy clear glass if I really had absolutely perfect items to display behind it like china. There are many clear textured glasses available to use in kitchen cabinets. Even bubble is a bit vague. Another advantage to having more of a texture is that it catches the light in different ways at different times of the day.

To make things interesting... You could do all six cabinets in glass but mix it up by doing the ones above the MW in a slightly different glass.

Or you could see if you can buy glass that is a Wispy White. Translucent glass with random sized and depth strands of white in it. Would look cool with the rest of the white in your kitchen.

Can you bring some glass samples home to test them in your lighting and with your kitchen items behind the glass?

We have a glass that is called clear chord that is rated as being one of the more obscuring glasses and it is easy to tell what is behind the glass. The other possibility is to try one of the textured glasses in color. Seedy glass comes in many colors.

Good Luck!

• creative_glo
    13 years ago

I find most of my clients feel that whatever is behind a glass door must be "pretty" so a big consideration is what you are going to store in the cabinet. You will probably also want to paint the inside of the cabinet white so make sure you factor that detail in. The bubble type glass is not going to obscure the contents very much. A frosted or acid etched glass will be the most opaque but it is a very contemporary look. For your kitchen I vote clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens for Living

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I always like to look at the choices at the Bendheim website. I ordered the "Spring Garden" sample and, although we've decided against the informal look so I can't have it, I come back to it fondly--irregular white pieces interspersed with a number of greens chunks and black threads in an irregular pattern. Would be great in a mod kitchen with unabashed personality.

There are many other white options. I agree that if you choose any of a number of these that have a dominant white, you will make a very strong statement in that end of the kitchen. Not sure about what you will do with the hood cupboard--does it have a vent through it or is this a mere recycle the air vent?

I vote for 2 or 4, depending on what goes into the cupboards. Are you sure you want 6? For better or worse, we're going to put glass on a vent cupboard over a range, but we've gone into it with our eyes open (we hope) and will cover the vent with an oak modesty panel, which will also help dull the vibration noise. The shelves will not be rectangles because of the vent. We had a similar cupboard in our previous kitchen in which we kept booze; this one will hold flower arranging containers and decorative items. Haven't picked out the glass yet, but I have to get going on this. It will be some kind of obscuring glass, perhaps with a white etched pattern of lines--similar to some of the Bendheim choices.

There is a shop in town which will etch the back of a patterned glass; am trying to decide how to proceed. Stay tuned for further developments.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet glass in Bendheim catalog

• longhall
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So many choices! I think I am leaning toward a textured clear, so I went to our glass shop today and brought home some samples. I picked my 4 favorites (don't know if the names are universal)
    1/2" Reed
    Water Glass
    Smooth Rough (Aquatex)
    Clear Hammer
    They are all very pretty and give an adequate amount of obscurity.
    I would love to only do 4 doors but don't know if it would look weird. There is no vent in the cupboard over the microwave by the way.
    Would the 1/2" Reed look too modern for my kitchen? I love that one but wonder if I should rule it out for that reason.
    Thanks!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

longhall, am wondering if you have purchased the glass yet. Please show us the results. It's so hard to imagine the glass until it's installed and too late.

Have been rummaging in websites online again. Besides Bendheim I posted above, there are these that I am looking at. I will put each into a separate posting because that's the limits of my GW link skills.

This is WGS Online.

Here is a link that might be useful: WGS Online.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This is Art Glass Cabinets.

They have a "White & Clear Wispy" and a "White and Clear", perhaps ones similar to what was recommended above by a earth pal. They also have a very mod one called "Dissymetry" that intrigues me. Am worried that my glass is too narrow to show off this one properly, though. Most of mine will be less than 1 foot across. These prices look pretty good. There is a SALE section that has some items I'm thinking about because I'm looking for a whitish effect and it has a number of them.

This website also has some installed photos in the "Idea Gallery." (The Bendheim website also has some installed photos.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Art Glass Cabinets.Yellow Plate Background

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This is Cabinet Glass World. The website is a bit counterintuitive--click on the product catalog, then on the subcategories. There is a lot more than it will first seem to have.

Prices are mostly $28/square foot. This is higher than some others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Glass World.Floral Display Background

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This company has merged with River City Glass, also in Burnsville, Minnesota, but the old website for the defunct company has great photos of items lying deep in background behind the glass.

They have organized the glass in categories for amount of obscurity.

Here is a link that might be useful: (defunct) Twin Cities Creative Glass & Mirror.RockingChair background

• gillycat
    13 years ago

I love my glass and everyone who sees it comments on it
    it is baroque

you can see what is behind it but not totally

From doors are on
    From doors are on
    From kitchen is done