Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Love this kitchen - Had to share

redroze
14 years ago

I saw this kitchen on one of my favourite blog sites, Urban Grace Interiors (please no spam images!!!) =) This kitchen is gor-geous with a capital G. I like how they use the straight, modern hardware with the classic white cabinets. The awning-style hood is awesome, i've never seen it before.

Comments (37)

• malhgold
    14 years ago

I bet this is a Mick Degiulio kitchen. It has all his "signature" elements. I love his work. Thanks for posting the pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: degiulio

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Oh, and the recessed chopping blocks, and the location of the pot filler, and the recessed shallow shelves flanking the stove...lots of ideas to steal! Thanks for posting this one!

• tkln
    14 years ago

Drooooool. Did you happen to see the other photo of it on the source link - where you can see the shelves flanking the stove can be hidden by marble 'doors'???

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the first photo

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm more of a contemporary design fan but those photos are really beautiful. Like lnersesian says, "Drooool" !!!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

wow! that gives new meaning to having the hood be larger than the cooking surface!

Beautiful

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Contemporary fan here, too, but that's another one of those "I'd still take it" kitchens! Yowza!!

PS love the square-shape recessed lighting openings; how different are those?!

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, except for the traditional materials and elements, I'd say alot of the design is contemporary. That's what I love about it.

I love those additional photos. WOW.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and did you see those white stools with the brown wooden legs? Love those - I can see those stools in a number of white-island kitchens on GW.

I think I see some nailhead details but I'm not sure...

• laurap_2007
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, and I especially love the dark wood floor with this. The kitchen is a nice mix of contemporary and traditional.

• megradek
    14 years ago

what a gorgeous space!

• lyno
    14 years ago

Did you see the copper hood on his website? It's the 3d residential kitchen. I love the hood and the shelves on each end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Hood

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I'm back for another look. I love the square recessed lights.

Everyone is talking about if it's contemprary or not....I think this is the perfect example of Transitional, yes? Contemporary faucets, lighting, stainless pot rack, yet such classical elements like the floor, and cabinets.

Hey, what do I know? I just know what looks good.

• jeanteach
    14 years ago

I, too, love those square recessed light openings! Fabulous kitchen...

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

yeah, it's nice.

-she says as she picks herself up off the floor!

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Wow! His work is spectacular! Just beautiful.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Just noticed that in the pic Redroze posted, the recessed shelves flanking the range are showing, but in the pic lnersesian linked to, the shelves aren't there, and it's just one long marble slab behind the range. OMG, are there marble sliding pocket doors that cover the shelves? That would be awesome.

I can just barely discern a seam in the slab backsplash behind the range in the pic-with-no-shelves. Of course, the marble's vein flows perfectly into the marble on that door, or whatever it is.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Oh. My. Goodness.

But, my family would constantly be hollering at me from the kitchen - what drawer is the thingamagig in! I'd have to label them and ruin the whole look. :)

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Whoa.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you think there's a fridge hidden behind those mirrored leaded glass doors, the dark stained ones? That's an amazing idea for panelling a fridge, if it is one. You can glimpse yourself everytime you head there for a snack. ;-)

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing...that is one beautiful kitchen! Glad I didn't see that "before" our reno or we'd be really broke!

Kat :)

• antss
    14 years ago

That is definitely one of Mick's kitchens.

The cabinetry is from SieMatic's Beaux Arts collection.

There are two refidgeration units in the mirrored cabinet -
    Sub Zero 700 series and the price of that kitchen is well into the $100k range.

• polie
    14 years ago

Seeing my reflection might very well discourage me from opening the refrigerator as often as I do now!

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

OMG those are refrigerators!!! I didn't notice that it was mirrors! Has anyone on GW ever done this or have any ideas how to accomplish such a look.

And the sink.... Oh I wish I could see it in person.....

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

i'm thinking it's WELL over the 100K range and easily over $150K depending on size (which does matter, btw).
    can someone more educated in construction tell me: do the drawers have some kind of decorative stile between them or do the drawers butt each other? i can't say i've noticed that kind of treatment anywhere i've seen before.

• kompy
    14 years ago

I thought I recognized this kitchen, was I was wrong. Check out my link below....this kitchen is 'almost' identical to that one. I bet the kitchen posted by the OP was the inspiration photo for the one I'm linking below!

Go to the site....and click on the 6th photo over! It also has the marble sliding spice doors.

This house is in my neighborhood and was a designer's showhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar kitchen.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoa - inspiration photo is right!! They are very similar. I'm sure they bought the same range hood. I like the way they did the shelves - white as opposed to the brown, although the brown works better in the original kitchen.

• kompy
    14 years ago

I know...it's crazy how similar they are! I actually had to look back and forth a couple of times. I wish I could find better pictures of the Showhouse!

Love the concept of that large hood and the sliding doors! Very creative/innovative.

Kompy

• antss
    14 years ago

Kate- the cabinetry is european construction so there is no "rail or stile". There are panels surrounding the drawer bases L&R of the range but it's not part of the cabinet itself and a panel btw. the fridges.

The wall behind the range is a "system" of which the hood is a part of. You specify the species of stone and size (within a set range) and it comes as a kit. The splash / panels / 2 cabinets / and stone doors are roughly $10k . Hood xtra. It requires VERY precise planing and execution or it won't work, will look crappy , or you'll rip out rough framing to re-do it.

• qs777
    14 years ago

All I can say is "wow!" I had to look at this a number of times because there are so many elements I love about it. Does anyone know where I could find a pot rack like that? I have seen them before but can't seem to find a source. I figure that may be the only thing I could afford from this kitchen - or at least a knock-off version of it.

• rmkitchen
    14 years ago

The pot rack reminds me of Howard Kaplan. This KD did a magazine kitchen (Good Housekeeping, I think) and I fell in love with the pot rack / lights in it: I wrote the design firm (heard nothing back, go figure) and begged here and on the Decorating forum but also got no leads. Finally, after my kitchen was done did I find Howard Kaplan ... of course!

The mirrored fridge panel is no different than having a panel on your fridge with a recessed panel (as I have on mine): instead of the recessed (wood) panel the cabinetmaker would put in a mirror. On the sides of our fridge / freezer we have recessed chalkboard -- it's a similar concept and shouldn't be a problem for a competent cabinetmaker. Makes me want to change some things in my kitchen ... yikes!

• polie
    14 years ago

Beautiful. This must cost beaucoup bucks to create.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rmkitchen - You're back!!! They were looking for your over in the Home Decorating forum a month or two back. I've also been wondering where you've been. Glad to see you back on GW!!!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Stunning. I wonder what the countertops are. It looks like they used a different marble for the cooktop wall ... more pronounced veins and thicker slab. The marble? on the island and rest of the perimeter and backsplash seems to have much more subtle veining.

I notice they chose to leave the hardware off the false drawers in the island. Love that seating area next to the island.

Kompy, you're in the Dayton area? That's where I'm from originally. My mom is still there (Beavercreek) and my stepdad works at Wright Patt. There definitely are no kitchens like your neighbors' in her neighborhood.

• qs777
    14 years ago

Rmkitchen - thanks for the info on the pot rack. It sure does look like the same thing. I'll have to check into it, but I'm almost too afraid to find out the cost. Thanks again!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Why did I click on Howard Kaplan's site? Seriously, seriously lovely. The Europa Pot Rack! The Architect Base Table! Somebody please install a Europa Pot Rack so I can live vicariously.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Erikanh - I noticed the same differences too with the marble. My best guess...Carrara for the island and side wall backsplash and side counter, and a thick (5 cm maybe) Calacatta Vigli for the cooktop wall and counter with the range as a focal point. We put hardware on all of our false drawers, and we never thought anyone would tug them, but once in awhile even we do (duh!!) For our prep sink, they made a working drawer with only two slot on either side so we can tuck small things in there like a rolled up dishtowel...kinda like a tip out drawer type of idea.

• dilzy
    10 years ago

Bringing this one back because SIGH. Love how 5 years later this still looks clean, classic but still true to De Gulio's showroom kitchens in 2014.