Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulabrady_gw

Does a window have to be centered above sink?

paulabrady
13 years ago

I am considering getting rid of some uppers and instead love to enlarge the window, but it would not be centered above the kitchen sink. Or would it be better to get a new separate window ( I would personally think that would look worse). There will be a slider door on the other side of the penisula in the DR

Comments (13)

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

My personal opinion is that I prefer the window centered over the sink. It just looks "off" to me if it's not. If you cannot center it then I would prefer the sink completely away from the window, like on the peninsula.

• weissman
    13 years ago

If you don't center the window either the kitchen fashion police will show up and rip it out or you'll never be able to sell your house :-)

Seriously, I agree that it will look off if you don't center it.

• scrapbookheaven
    13 years ago

How about enlarging the window and just shrinking down the size of the upper cabinets on either side? I LOVE large windows over the kitchen sink. I think non-centered would look odd.

• tracie.erin
    13 years ago

I think it'll be just fine. You could always get a double unit and center it on just the left or right window, too.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

I think it looks better centered, if at all possible---we gave up some storage space to keep ours centered under a double window. But if it doesn't work out, another option is to have the sink off-center but the faucet centered under the window at one end of the sink.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If you want the window and it has to be off center, I'd do cabs on one side only or some shelves on only 1 side. I think a pair of anything "upper" would make the off centeredness an issue. If you were totally asymmetrical, I think you could pull it off nicely as a stylish choice.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

What tracie wrote: center the sink within one section of a double window unit. I see this done all the time in magazines and I think it looks great. In fact, I prefer not to have sinks centered under double windows. That puts the divider between the windows smack in the middle of the sink so that when I'm standing at the sink, I'm staring at the divider, not out the window.

You can also give the appearance that the sink is centered with faucet placement. If the faucet appears to be centered, the sink will appear to be centered. Kelly Morriseau, CKBD and blogger at KitchenSync, wrote about this tip at http://kitchensync.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/07/a-kitchen-desig.html (sorry you'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser. I can't remember how to imbed a link and I don't have time to look it up right now).

Look through FKB for inspiration. One place to start: elizpiz's gorgeous kitchen. She centered her sink under one section of double windows. Notice the faucet location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elizpiz's sink/window set-up

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

If you have a sink that with built-in drainboard or stone countertop with drainboard grooves, put the drainboard under one window and the sink under the other. Plumbing remains in same place. Or put butcherblock on the second window side of the sink.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

There is no reason you have to center a sink under a window. In my current kitchen (not remodeled), the sink sort of lines up with the left edge of the window and the counter run ends at the right edge of the window. The sink not being centered allows for a reasonable amount (about 20" rather than 6") of counter space to the right of the sink. It has never bothered me. I've thought about trying to center it when I remodel the kitchen, but I will not do so if I lose functional cabinetry. For me, the functionality outweighs the symmetry. I think a better question might be: Will not having the sink centered below the window bother you?

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Totally agree with lisa a (BTW elizpiz's kitchen is gorgeous) - personally, I would adjust just about anything I could to get a larger window. Just don't think anyone is ever sorry about the views and natural light that come along with it... Just make sure it looks purposeful, and I think you're set.

• Jon T
    13 years ago

I have a double window (horizontal slider) with the sink centered on the left window pane. I was thinking of centering the sink on the window opening for my upcoming remodel, by decided to keep it where it is to maximize my prep area to the right of my sink. As lisa_a points out, my view is not obstructed by the center divider.

Jon

• momof3kids_pa
    13 years ago

I think what you are proposing would be similar to my layout (but opposite direction), including a slider nearby. My sink is off center. It has never bothered me, nor has anyone pointed and laughed (unless they are holding it in)!!

{{!gwi}}

From the opposite direction:
    {{!gwi}}

Head on:
    {{!gwi}}

• paulabrady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! mom of 3 kids of LOVE your kitchen and all of the different surfaces and love the brick veneer.