Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janicecarolyn_gw

Which Cabinets? Omega, Yorktowne, Medallion

janicecarolyn
14 years ago

Any advice would be great!! My hubby and I are redoing our kitchen. We want a painted white cabinet in a shaker door style.

I like the platinum series for the Yorktowne - because i don't like the pullout hardware in the Gold. And the Medallion Designer Series. I have read good things on here about Medallion. But the KD with the Yortown has my favorite design. I would like to work with her.

Comments (10)

• bunnicula03
    14 years ago

I almost bought Yorktowne cabinets, in the platinum series. I think they're very nice quality for a midgrade cabinet. American made (PA), and they mill their own lumber too. That could be one of the reasons they're so nice and affordable. You can get upgraded features for a reasonable price, too. They are not expensive at all. It's a good cabinet choice, IMO.

I ended up with Wellborne,also a beautiful cabinet line. It cost me just a little more than Yorktowne. Like you, I had to find the right cabinet style and color before I could choose which company to go with. But I also wanted the best quality I could get for my money. Yorktowne's medium maple colors were not quite right for me, and I do think Wellbourne was just a bit nicer. But they really are so close to one another, as are many companies with their midgrade lines (not all plywood boxes).

I think it's important to use a KD you like and you think is good. But you can take those same plans to another dealer and have them work up a price for you.

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

I looked at several cabinet lines. It came down to Wellborn and Medallion for me. Wellborn was a close contender, however, it didn't have the mullion diagonal corner door and their finish was more bold with the glazing. I chose Medallion mainly for its painted finish and subtle wheat glazing. The one thing I'm not entirely thrilled about with Medallion is that the drawers aren't deep at all. They are a paltry 2 3/4 inches deep.

Omega was a top-rated cabinet by Consumer Reports. They were out of my price range, so I didn't look too closely at them. I didn't feel comfortable with my Wellborn KD, either, so that did sway me more towards Medallion. It is important to find someone that you feel comfortable with, so I agree with the previous poster.

I know nothing of Yorktown cabinetry, so I can't comment on them.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I have Yorktowne and love them. They were here in my home
    when we moved in. They are about 13 (maybe 14) years old
    now. They still look great. I did re-paint them this past
    spring.

The reason we repainted them is because when my DH and I
    were shopping to replace them, we were shocked to learn
    that our cabinets at home are such a high quality
    compared to what is out there. Our cabinets at home 13
    years old looked better and worked better than looking at
    the new ones in design centers. We decided to keep them.
    Painting them has given them new life.

I must also say when I first moved in there were some
    broken trash bin clips (not sure how to describe
    them). I called Yorktowne to find out where I could
    buy or order replacements. They sent them out to me for
    free. No charge! This has sold me on this company.
    Truly kind people to work with.

Don't get me wrong I love the Peacock Kitchens and Crytstal
    cabinets but for the money Yorktowne has bee wondeful to
    use here in my home.

• janicecarolyn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay Fantastic! Great to hear you like them! What color did you repaint? Were they white to begin with? Thanks so much for your help!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I posted this on another thread but I thought it might help here as well. Since Omega is in the running...

Another very satisfied Omega customer here! We had a great experience with them. Not only are our cabinets wonderful , but their customer service was great as well. We had an issue w/our extra shelves (new installation manager at our original KD's parent company ordered the wrong size...twice). The new installation manager gave us a hard time about it and told me I would have to deal w/Omega directly, how our shelves weren't under warranty, we'd have to pay a second time, they couldn't find the original order (even though I had the original wrong shelves sitting in front of me w/an order #!), etc....

Well, I called Omega & their CS rep told me it was all nonsense (they also had the original order) and said they would contact the installation manager directly and take care of it for me. They did did just that...and very quickly!

I can't tell you how happy that made me! We have mostly Dynasty (semi-custom) cabinets but a couple of Custom as well.

BTW...another big advantage of Omega is that you can use their less-expensive Dynasty/semi-custom cabinets in general and only use Omega Custom if you need something that's not in the Dynasty line... All the finishes & most of the door styles in the Dynasty line are also in the Custom line so it makes it easy (the Custom line does have add'l finishes & door styles not in Dynasty).

• niffy
    14 years ago

We had Yorktown in our previous home - solid maple doors (I think Gold series). They held up beautifully and were solid cabinets - looked as good when we moved as they did when installed. We upgraded from builder basic to full overlay, and I will say that I was disappointed in that... Their full overlay seemed more like 1/2" or 3/4" overlay, now that I now a bit more about it. I always wondered if our builder ordered the wrong thing, so if you are doing overlay, be sure to look at their samples!

• catmom11746
    14 years ago

We have Yorktowne cabinets in our house - white therm, not painted. They are about 13 years old and still look great. My parents liked ours so much that they redid their kitchen with the exact same cabinets. We are redoing our kitchen and will be getting rid of them (donating them), but that decision has nothing to do with the cabinets themselves.

• janicecarolyn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay thanks to everyone for all this great feedback!Thanks!!

Niffy - I don't know what you mean by full over lay and 1/2" or 3/4" overlay?? The yorktowne are not frameless...but overlay. The overlay can be different?

BTW, my parents have the Omega/Dynsaty and love them..had an issue with all the hindge breaking (yes on all the doors) but Omega sent hinges for free and installer installed for free! I just like the price and KD for yorktowne...not sure if i like the whites! Eek.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

All the hinges broke? That doesn't sound likely...could they have been mis-handled/mis-installed. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine on even the lowest line of cabinetry that all the hinges would just break...and all at once????