Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Show us your under $20K kitchen, part 2

ccoombs1
14 years ago

The first "under $20K kitchen" thread was so popular but maxed out on the posts, so it has slipped WAY down. I thought I'd bring it back for anyone who missed it and needs some inspiration.

Cindy

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0810443618847.html

Comments (30)

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's the link....

Here is a link that might be useful: under $20K kitchens, part 1

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Thanks! And I hope we see some new kitchens on this thread. I'm hoping mine comes under 25K, but it doesn't look like that is happening, so I won't be posting mine here. :(

• antnmiasmom
    14 years ago

Mine is supposed to come in around 12k, so I'll be back in a few weeks with pictures. Thanks for bringing this thread back. :-)

• na_praha
    14 years ago

I'll post here and on the original thread, which was an incredible resource for me when planning our (now former) kitchen, which came in just under $8K (we budgeted $15k for it). This included all new appliances (or in the case of the Jenn-Air range, new to us), cabinets, flooring, countertops, marble backsplash, window and french doors, lighting, hardware and fixtures, plus new electrical, plumbing, and some structural work. We started demo in March and finished in June of this year. My husband did all of the work; I was in charge of design and purchasing. Almost immediately, we left the house to move across country in anticipation of the arrival of our first child, so I didn't get to enjoy it for nearly long enough, and now we're on to another fixer-upper (actually the house I grew up in) so it almost pains me to look at these photos of the wonderful, if tiny (maybe 120 SF), new kitchen we left behind. Hope they're useful to some of you, however:

and here's a glimpse of the truly horrifying before, as the kitchen looked before we bought the house, a 1914 bungalow that needed a total restoration:

Details:

Cabinets - IKEA Adel White with Lansa handles
    Countertops - IKEA Numerar beech, sealed with Waterlox
    Backsplash - beadboard and carrera marble (panel purchased at local salvage depot for $35)
    Shelving - IKEA
    Sink - IKEA Domsjo
    Faucet - Lowe's
    Fridge - LG floor sample from HD, discounted $400
    OTR microwave - LG via Amazon.com
    Dual fuel range - Jenn-Air via Craigslist
    DW - GE floor sample from Lowe's, discounted $200
    Flooring - slate look laminate floating floor (discontinued) from Home Depot
    Pendant lighting - clearance item from Fred Meyer, a Pacific NW discount store

My best tips for a great kitchen at a bargain price are to shop early and often (the range sat in our basement for two years before being installed, because I found such a great deal on it so early on in the process), and to consider IKEA (and these forums) as your best resources. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos on Flickr, including our temporary kitchen setup

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Lovely kitchen, na_praha! I'm impressed with what you did on such a tiny budget. That floor is really impressive. Pity it's been discontinued.

Congratulations on your impending motherhood!

• na_praha
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words! Our floor was German-made and I think HD probably only got a one-time shipment of it, because it came and went in a flash and was such a deal ($.99/SF) but I remember thinking that the DuPont product linked below had a very similar look and feel.

Here is a link that might be useful: DuPont Bronze Random Slate

• funyellow
    14 years ago

I am hoping to be able to post here soon. We are doing a total renovation of our kitchen. We are actually relocating it to the dining room and making the former kitchen into the Dining room. We also removed a load bearing wall, are moving windows, adding a sliding door, plumbing, electrical, tile, plaster.. I guess that makes it 'the works'.

We just installed the cabinets so we are making progress!!

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Ooh ooh me me!! I can't wait to post here. I'm hoping to come in at around $18K, ugh, but better than $25K and better than $40K! (I'm stressing a bit about the money issue).

We (and by "we," I mean a skilled carpenter and his crew) are extensively rehabilitating the existing cabinets inside and out, and adding a few new ones...I'm hoping the effect will look like we bought new cabinets.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

What an adorable kitchen. I love that cottage style. You did an amazing job. I am so sorry that you had to leave it.

I get so excited when I see this thread updated! I was aiming for $20K but it looks more like $25K. I guess I need to keep at it.

• jillempa
    14 years ago

This site was invaluable to me when my husband and I were planning and going through our kitchen renovation. We managed to complete our kitchen/dining room, front foyer and powder room renovations all for under $20k! The kitchen and dining room renos cost around $18k. I've posted before and after pictures at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen renovation

• morton5
    14 years ago

jillempa, what an impressive transformation! Your new kitchen looks fantastic. I love how you opened up the space-- what was with that stair railing? Congratulations on adding major beauty and value to your home.

• dinajo
    14 years ago

Jillempa,
    I love what you've done... Would you mind sharing information on your pendant lights? I've been searching all over and I think yours are lovely.
    Thanks!

• kitchen4champ
    14 years ago

Jillempa, beautiful work! impressive!!

• jillempa
    14 years ago

Thank you for all of the compliments. We are very happy with the changes we made, and I encourage anyone who's thinking of doing this type of renovation to do it. You (most likely) won't regret it.

Dinajo - We bought our pendant lights from Home Depot. They were really inexpensive. We ended up buying the matching chandelier and flush ceiling light as well. I'm glad you like them.

• laurielep
    14 years ago

We had a budget of $10k but finished just under $20k. It still has some finishing touches that need to be done. (base moulding) But for the most part, it's done and we are thrilled with how it came out.
    Our budget was doubled because this is an old house (160+ years) and after the demo started we needed to replace way more than we thought (or would have liked!) We saved LOTS of money buy doing this ourselves. Hubbie is a plumber. Only disadvantage is it took 21 weeks because he was only able to work nights and weekends on the kitchen.

2 of the best things I like about my new kitchen is NO more washer/dryer in the kitchen and the granite. I do everything on it! I'm no longer afraid of my granite!!!

Before

Before

Before

After

The island is the same color as the cabinets, just looks different in the pictures. The island stool is a different color, I need to find something different.

Our pantry and phone center

Some pics of my favorite things :)

I did the tile myself. Hubbie cut the tiles and I did the rest. Quite simple and came out awesome!!

Cabinets: American Woodmark, Maple Spice
    Countertops: Giallo Veneziano Granite with 1/4 bevel edge
    Backsplash : American Olean white subway tile
    Fridge: Whirlpool
    Range: Fridgadare
    Dishwasher: Maytag
    Microwave: Maytag
    Sink: Kohler, Staccato
    Faucet: Moen, Annabelle
    Flooring: Shaw Laminate, Merlot Cherry
    Under counter lighting: Kitchler track
    Hardware: MNG Hardware, Oil rubbed bronze
    Paint: Behr, Valley Mist
    Garbage: Rev-a-shelf
    Kitchen quote: quotethewalls.com
    Slider: Anderson
    Doors: Jeldwen
    Window: Trimline

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Inspirational! I hope I can post here one day soon....

• machel
    14 years ago

Wow! your kitchen is beautiful.You have the cabinets that I love,but it is out of my price range.I wished that kraftmaid would get a maple spice stain.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

jillempa - is your counter top butterum matt? I'm thinking of getting butterum. I usually like matt but have only seen a piece of it in radiance. Some others here have it too but I think their's is also in radiance (a slight shine to it).

and what make/model is your faucet? looks nice and isn't as big as some. some are way too big for me! thx!

such great kitchens w/o spending a fortune! wait... 20K IS a fortune to me - lol!

• bohtieque
    14 years ago

I've got one--I don't have the final pictures, but some day I'll get around to it. Here's my Flickr set:

Flickr Kitchen Set

This included replacing all the subfloor as the original builders didn't seem to think the nails needed to be sunk into the floor joists, flooring with oak into the main hallway, cutting in a new opening between the kitchen and living room to better the flow, all new oak trim (including crown). I reused my appliances, and we did no work ourselves, aside from staining the trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen Flickr Set

• dfzmom
    14 years ago

We are hoping to start our under $20k reno in the next cople of months. Bohtieque, your kitchen looks great, big transformation! Can you provide more details, specifically cabinets and countertops. Thanks so much!

• bohtieque
    14 years ago

Hi, there :)

The cabinets are Schrock, door style Huxley and finished in light oak. We got 20% off this summer when Menards ran a special on the full-plywood construction upgrade, so they ended up being less expensive than the original quote for the level down.

The pulls are Belwith/Hickory Metropolis; I can't remember the name of the knobs, but they're also Belwith.

The countertops are Formica Basalt Slate. I LOVE it, especially since it hides my husband's coffee spills so well.

Julie

• svey
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1930643}}

Not yet finish but I'm below 15,000 cdn including the new appliances. The island or table should cost 200$ in material and the flooring (cork from duro design is 2600$).

1200$ in birch plywood
    700$ for ash face frame
    800$ for Blum hardware and handle(richelieu)
    600$ 2 square 10" deep kitchensinks (ebay)
    2800$ granite counter top(54 sq. ft Yellow Brook)
    3600$ Blue star cooktop
    1000$ Broan 42" range hood
    350$ Bosh wall oven
    260$ 2 faucets
    1600$ 2 Blomberg dishwashers
    500$ lighting (schoolhouse style and track)

I wanted a white kitchen but compromise for stained ash for the time being. Wood can always be painted. I've done all the work myself except for counter top.

• poppy09
    14 years ago

Bump!

• bri29
    14 years ago

My kitchen is almost two months old, and I still love walking into it every day. Ours came in right at $15K (including appliances), with a LOT of elbow grease and diy know-how in the family.

Before:

After:

Cabinets: BM Simply white painted alder-all plywood.
    Granite: Delirium
    Refrigerator: GE Profile 22 cu ft
    Range: Electrolux slide in electric
    DW: Electrolux
    OTR Micro: Electrolux (because the Panasonic one to replace our favorite microwave wasn't going to be available in time.)
    Hardware: Stainless bar pulls from yourhomesupply.com Great deal, the total cost was only $170!
    Sink: Ticor S112
    Faucet:Grohe Ladylux
    Floors: Bellawood prefinished 2 1/4" natural oak
    Undercabinet lights: Kichler Xenon
    Recessed lights are all 4100K fluorescent

Here is a link that might be useful: Picassa Album

• catkin
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for sharing!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

I'm at about $13,000 with all the appliances. Our renovations begin next week. I'll keep everyone posted and post pictures once completed.

• korney19
    14 years ago

Any updates????

• korney19
    14 years ago

Any updates????

• korney19
    14 years ago

Sorry about the duplicate posts, for some reason it kept asking me to login again so I hit back and resubmitted again... a little twitch on that glitch!