Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanders_gw

Tile patterns--does your floor and backsplash pattern match?

tanders
13 years ago

We just put in a tile floor--12" square tiles laid in a brick joint pattern (I think it's called?). Now I'm trying to decide on the backsplash. Will it look funny to have the backsplash tile laid in a diamond pattern, for instance? Should we use the same brick joint pattern on the backsplash as well? We will probably use 4" square or 3x6 subway tile for the backsplash.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• allie22031
    13 years ago

I think backsplashes tend to be more liner then some floors. I am doing a coblestone type pattern on the floor, but will be in the diamond pattern.

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

Mine matches but more by accident than by planning. It wasn't a consideration at the time nor will it be in the future. I personally don't think there's any need for the patterns to match.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi tanders...

My sister just remodeled her kitchen. She did a diamond backsplash, and her floor...well, I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it is a varied rectangular/squarish pattern. Hopefully you can see it in these pictures. I think it all blends nicely.

KA:)

• plllog
    13 years ago

It'll actually look better if the floor and backsplash are noticeably different. 12" faux stone laid in a square set on the floor is different enough from glass 1" mosaic set square on the splash, just in the different materials.

If they're more similar, like in Kitchenaddict's sister's kitchen where the tones are both neutral, having a different setting pattern helps the two surfaces have their own identity and keeps it looking like the floor is running up the walls.

There are many other considerations, including what the other surfaces do, and how long the expanse of backsplash is. Are you trying to keep a very linear and elongated look? Do you want to break the linearity up? Do you want to draw the eye up? Do you want to draw the eye along the wall? Etc., etc.

• mellfiera
    13 years ago

I'm struggling with this question right now. Our floor is white ceramic tile in a diamond pattern, and the only backsplash I've seen that I like is diamond pattern much like kitchenaddict's sister's gorgeous kitchen. I'm afraid that it'll be too matchy even though I want to do the backsplash in a different color. Maybe I'll be inspired when we go start looking around at tile shops.

• tanders
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm just trying to keep a more traditional look. My home is a 1920's brick bungalow. I've always thought I would keep the original hardwood floors and have a subway tile backsplash, but...the kitchen floor was in really bad shape. We were unable to save it and couldn't find 1-1/2" wide unfinished red oak strip flooring to match it (and the rest of the first floor), so we put in a slate/quartzite tile in instead. I'm still open to subway tile (and still love it), but frankly, I'm getting tired of seeing it everywhere and was trying to think of other options.

I'm loving the hand-glazed tiles lately, maybe crackle glaze, in a 3x6 subway or 4-6" square. Also considering laying the square tile in a diamond pattern. Just trying to get my head around other ideas that would still be appropriate for my home. The floor is rather colorful, so I'd like to keep the backsplash simpler, but with some shine, to contrast with the matte counters and tile floor. I appreciate all your input.

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

We have a tile floor in a pinwheel pattern (18x18 and 12x12) and tile backsplash in a grid (6x6) with glass accent pieces. Agree with other posters that the patterns for floor and wall can be different.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• mom2sethc
    13 years ago

Hello,

We have a 20 inch tile on the floor, then used the same tile in a 12 inch size, on diagonal with black granite inserts. Later when we upgrade the laminate to granite, I think about replacing the backsplash, but maybe not, I really do like it. We decided on it pretty quickly, before I had found this board!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

here is a pic when the floor and backsplash were first done, tile hasn't been cleaned yet in this pic.
    {{gwi:1470846}}

Elaine

• jacduf
    13 years ago

Hi
    We did an 18x18 travertine in a straight line pattern on the floor and used a 3x6 travertine subway tile for the backsplash.
    Here's a picture, hth:

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz