Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galleycook_gw

Help - Can this granite countertop be fixed?

galleycook
13 years ago

Granite countertops were installed, yesterday, with DH on site (I was at work). DH had Buehl's checklist but in the chaos of the installation, he forgot all about it and didn't notice these problems:

- Countertop overlaps Stages sink edge by quarter inch so none of the accessories will fit. Pretty much negates the whole point of this expensive prep sink. Fabricator had refused to take the sink after templating - said they only needed the sink template provided by Kohler. Now, they say the Kohler template was wrong and Kohler says "that's a new one! Kohler is mailing a new template to us so we can prove this one way or the other.) Can the facbricator fix this by widening the sink opening?

{{gwi:1914263}}

- Sink is secured with only 2 clips on back and one side. Wood strip on the other side and no clips on the front. Is this a big problem or will it work? Can it be fixed? And, will the extent to which the installer cut into the sink cabinet harm the integrity of the cabinet itself?

- Countertop and backsplash gaps from wall range up to 1/2 inch in points. Isn't the templating supposed to result in a countertop and backsplash that fits more closely to the wall?? Or, is the installer supposed to shave the wall to fit the stone? Or, is this normal? And, is the installer supposed to do something to close the gaps?

- Seam is uneven on the underside of the countertop. This is an issue the installer pointed out to DH and said he would fix on a return visit.

Any advice helping us to figure out what can and should be fixed would be appreciated. TIA!

Comments (4)

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Unfortunately I can't seem to open any of your photo links. How did you reseach this fabricator before the job? Have you paid them in full?

• azstoneconsulting
    13 years ago

First things first - IF you have NOT paid in full - do not do so until everything
    is to YOUR SATISFACTION. Based on what you have described - do not pay off
    your bill yet.......!

Give your Fabricator an honest chance to fix what's wrong, but do NOT pay
    anymore $$$ until the job is done right.

It's hard for me to comment any further (on your pics) as I can't enlarge them
    to see what is going on....

I have been in the trades for 32 years, and the mistakes you have are all
    of the "rookie" variety.

The lippage at the seam the seam should have been fixed at the shop - before
    they brought out the finished work.

The sink needs to be supported all the way around if it's an undermount -
    and IF it's a self rimming sink (surface mount) you still need more clips to
    secure the sink unit.

As far as the hole goes - you can always make holes bigger in stone - but
    never the other way around...

You can also make a top shorter or smaller in sive, but never bigger (the
    "Stone Stretcher" has not been invented yet......HA!

post your pics full size so we can see better - what is going on with your project.

hth

kevin

• galleycook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kevin. I really hoped you'd spot this and provide some badly needed advice. My own impression when I saw the counters was that it was amateur hour. Hopefully, they have someone experienced enough to fix the issues and, as you suggest, we will give them a chance to make it right. (If not, what is our recourse?) Here are resized photos which I hope show the issues more clearly.

Photo #1 - shows the gap between back wall and countertop at the seam(the light brown thing is actually a shim behind the cabinet.)The installer broke part of the backsplash so he didn't complete the work and plans to return on Tuesday. Seeing the 1/2 inch gaps between the counter and parts of the installed backsplash and wall, I'm wondering whether the installer should have scribed the counter or done something else to make this fit better? (One person told me they are supposed to shave the wall, if needed?) Since there are gaps, should the fabricator/installer have filled them with something that matches the granite?

Photo #2 - shows the broken,uneven seam at the front of the countertop. The installer asked to come back to repair this. Can this be repaired and should it happen on site?

Photos #3 - #5 - Show the limited support provided to only 3 sides of the undermount sink (front has nothing). At this point, will they or anyone be able to secure it better? It seems like such a careless, shoddy job, I'm thinking that we should get someone else.

1x2 on lefthand side -

2 clips on right hand side -

2 clips supporting back of sink -

Photo # 6 - shows the mesh running visible at the edge of the counter. On one side of the run, the mesh isn't exposed but on the other it is. Should it have been polished off the edge or is this a non-issue?

Photo #7 - This is a combination main/prep sink which comes with a lot of moving parts that slide along a ledge - chopping block, prep bowls, knife tray, etc. Because the granite cutout is smaller than Kohler's sink template,none of the accessories will fit into the shelf. If they can shave the extra granite off the edges - the sink should be able to function per its design. Is this something they can/should do on site (even though messy)? Or do they need to remove it and the sink and do it in their shop so the sink won't be destroyed? Can it be done or will they have to replace the slab? This image just shows the accessory tray not fitting into the sink.

Sorry for all the questions but I've never had a granite countertop installed. Thanks again for your help!

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

So sorry for what you went through with this. What an education reading about it.

What ever happened?