Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theanimala

Help picking tile floors, pics included

theanimala
14 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has helped us with our other decisions. We have our cabinets arriving in 2 weeks, and finally decided on our countertop. Now we need to pick the flooring.

We are going for a slightly modern kitchen, using Shiloh Homestead inset cabinets in Softwhite for the outerwalls, and the island being a dark espresso.

We have narrowed down the countertops (with help from you all) to CeasarStone Raven on the white cabinets, and CeasarStone Misty Carrera on the dark island. Appliances will be stainless steel, and we plan on introducing more color on the walls and back splash (glass tile of some sort).

We are looking for tile that will pull some of the colors of the countertops and the cabinets. We are looking at squared tiles of 18" x 18" to be placed diagonally, or rectangular tiles in 12" x 24 staggered. Whatever we buy is going to go not only in the kitchen but in the powder room, laundry room, and front foyer, so we are looking at 650 SF, so we better LOVE it (or at least not regret it).

So far we have narrowed it down to these three tiles, although tomorrow we are going to try to find some that give the look of slate.

This tile is called Metro Leather, and it really does have a leather look to it.

Metro Leather Pic 2

This is a different colored Metro Leather. It is the very small tile on the bottom right. We ordered a sample today.

Ergon Mikado - this will be the staggered 12x24 tile:

Ergon Mikado Pic 2

Kitchen Layout:

Thanks again, and I welcome all opinions!

Comments (15)

• suzienj
    14 years ago

hey- i'm not going to be much help b/c neither choice is jumping out at me as being the best.. i think there might be better... but i'm also "traditional" in style- not a "modern girl" --

We are also doing the shiloh soft white with cherry island. We did the dark caesarstone on the island

sorry- i do love your countertop and cabinet choices but not loving the floors--- hopefully others can pick or atleast suggest what colors to be looking for.....

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I think the first choice is beautiful. I'm going to toss an idea into the mix. I thought of this when I saw your choices because I have a sample myself. I'm going to go with the Hickory color but the Heath below is actually a bit darker gray then it appears in the pic. It's almost a deep heather gray/brown color. Gorgeous

OH... it's Dal Tile Timber Glen Series

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

I LOVE the first Metro Leather color (not so much the second color.... too dark). It will really hide dirt (something that I look for in flooring!!).

But... the second choice (Ergon Mikado) is VERY modern and blends well with your colors. Not my style (but as suzienj said... I'm not a modern girl either).... but it will definitely put a modern spin on the kitchen.... more so than the Metro Leather.

But there is just something about the Metro Leather that I love.... to me, it is the perfect choice.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

oooooooh, I love the first choice too (and I too am not a modern girl).

I think it's gorgeous, that whole first combination - all of the elements. In fact, I would say it's the prettiest modern combination I've seen. I love it!

I can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I agree -- the first Metro Leather is very rich and really sets off your other finishes. It should also be easy to live with. But do you love it? I love it. Needs loves it. Starlight loves it. But do you?

The Mikado is gorgeous, but all those stripes and all that dark will probably be a lot of all that in all those rooms. It's also too "modern" for your fancy doors. It wants long, low, open plan integrated cabinetry that floats on the walls. It will also probably swallow your island.

• theanimala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everyone, thank you for the replies. We agreed with the replies, the Eragon Mikado is a bit much, and over such a large area may not work for us. Also, the kitchen is going to be contemporary, not crazy over the top modern. Plllog, one thing to note, the doors are the same color we are ordering, but the styles are not the same. It's the only samples that Shiloh sends out.

We did go to another tile store today and saw 3 more tiles, which we REALLY, REALLY like. Can't say we felt that way after the other samples. All are in 12 x 24 rectangles, and pictures are below. I believe we are going to go with one of these three, just need to pic the correct color. Any suggestions?

Glam Coffee

Fashion Black

Fashion Coffee

Thanks again!

• camargo
    14 years ago

just in case you do decide with the Ergon, Build Direct has it under another name (Torino Akad) at the lowest prices we could find...of course, have to factor in shipping. The boxes say "Ergon" and it is exactly the same as a sample of the Ergon we got, but for significantly less per square foot. Again, the colors have a different name, but they match exactly. We got the lighter one for our kitchen:

And we got the one you are contemplating for the foyer (don't have a pic). Both look great. The lighter is a more subtle effect; prefer it in the larger space.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I think I still like the Metro Leather best but also really like the Glam Coffee

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

My preference is still for the Metro Leather also. The newer pictures are "ok", but the Metro Leather just ties everything together perfectly (IMO).

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Well, I'm going to be the dissenter here. I don't like the Metro-leather. When I saw it, I thought "generic porcelain tile" - nothing particularly modern about it as it is muddy, splotchy and spotted, ie. generic porcelain. I REALLY like the Eregon Mikado and the 12x24 size really gives it a lot - don't know about it in 650sqft, though.
    BUT I LOVE Glam Coffee - I've seen this tile too and had I seen it BEFORE I finished my remodel, I do believe this is the very thing I'd have used. Don't care too much for the Fashion Black/Coffees but they're better than the Metro Leather. The 12x24" form factor is also a good thing.

BTW, I *am* a modern girl. ;-)

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Glam Coffee is beautiful and unusual. It gets my vote.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Another vote for glam coffee. Over that large an area especially.

Personally, I love the look of a dark floor, but it is a high maintenance choice.

• suzienj
    14 years ago

you nailed it with Glam coffee-- i LOVE that one-- goes much better... It picks up Raven countertop so nicely! good luck either way... keep us posted!

• theanimala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the replies, but man are you killing me! I do LOVE the opinions of everyone posting. My wife and I just keep going back and forth over which one we like the best. I guess that's a good position to be in, since we like 3 of them very much. I'm sure we'll be happy with any one, but it is very hard to make this final decision. Regarding the Glam Coffee, I am leaning towards that one, but in reality it has a bit more brown in it then it show's in the picture. The Fashion Coffee is actually has more silver and seems to pull more from the Raven CeasarStone into it, but it also has a more shiny finish where as the Glam Coffee is more matted. I will try to take some more pics tomorrow in the natural light to see if I can get a truer pic of the color and texture. In the meantime, thanks again!

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

I'm still sticking with the Metro Leather! I even called hubby in to look at your pictures (as he rolled his eyes and stumbled over to the computer).... and he loved the Metro Leather also. Something about those color combinations... gorgeous. I don't think that you will find anything that I like better... but then again, I'm not the one living with it! ;)