Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellacucina_gw

Mirrored cabinet doors anyone???

bellacucina
13 years ago

Our kitchen designer has recommended that we do mirrored doors with mullions (they would look like window panes) on the upper cabinet doors of an inner pantry/oven wall. It would be opposite a window wall where the range and main sink will be, and other cabinets with upperwindowed doors. Her idea is that they would bounce light from the windows and make the narrow-ish kitchen feel more expansive, and she does not think they'll look tacky at all. (Rough kitchen dimensions are 23' long x 10.5' wide.)

My vision of mirrored doors is a tacky 50's/60's mirrored wall (remember those square mirrored tiles?) from my mother-in-law's house or hotel room closet doors- - I can't really envision how the mullioned mirrored doors would look in a kitchen.

I would love to get everyone's thoughts here . . . Anyone ever seen these? What do you think?

Thanks!!!

Comments (16)

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Frankly, the last thing I need in my kitchen is mirrors!

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay.... normally I wouldn't have thought windowed kitchen cabs were needed either but after seeing them in mags, I think they can be very aesthetically pleasing. Problem is, I haven't seen any mirrored cabs. . .

anybody else?

• dannie
    13 years ago

I have them in my bathroom. I really like them. The cabinet maker suggested them as I wanted a lighter look for the upper cabinets and was thinking of glass. However, I was concerned about seeing through and having to keep things tidy all the time in the cabinet. The mirrored doors were perfect.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Yeah, they look good in magazines. I wouldn't do it unless there was a serious lighting deficit. Absolutely clear glass in cabinet doors take some cleaning. They don't look good streaked or dusty, so you have to keep up with them, and polish, besides just dusting. If your family just grab for the doors (well, be glad they're shutting them) there are also finger streaks to be dealt with. I'm not scared of cleaning, by any means, but this is something that would need less if it weren't mirror, because mirror looks icky faster even than clear glass. Textured glass hides streaks until cleaning day much better.

The other issue, however, is the reflections. Which way does the window face? Does the sun come in? Do lights from the neighbor's houses come in at night? Headlights? Remember, whatever is outside your house is going to be inside if you have mirror. If you have a lot of overgrown trees, the mirror could help magnify the natural light. Otherwise, it could bounce a lot of strong lights where you don't want them.

• onelady1dog2girls
    13 years ago

I haveto chime in that I saw a beautiful photo, I think it was in Southern Living, using antiqued mirror tile backsplash with rosettes between the tiles I believe. I thought it was absolutely beautiful- so much so that I thought abought creating the effect in our bathroom behind a freestanding tub. You could google antique mirror tiles and see if you like the look. I didnotice it was fairly pricey. Good luck, always intriguing to see something new here.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I'm going to steal your idea for my bathroom. I won't have soffits but I will have that cabinet space W A Y up there. I think I will make those small doors with mirrors. My wallpaper is predominately black. The one little window opens to the breezeway and the room will be light deprived. Right now it's ivory everything, even the floor and I know the black is going to be dark. I have been wondering where I can hide under cab lights and rope lights in addition to the ceiling fixture and medicine cab sconces. Mirrored doors might be the answer. And for experimental purposes I might be able to buy some of those $10 door mirrors and cut them to fit....Hmmm. just threw my brain into overdrive!

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

You can always have the mirror aged by the glass shop. They can do it to varying degrees, and that will minimize the shinyness of them. Here are some (I think) very pretty mirrored cabinets in a kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirrored cabinet doors in kitchen

• bellacucina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks very much, everyone, for your input!! You raised some practical issues I didn't think about -- I can't see myself keeping mirrors clean. The aged mirrors are an interesting idea tho... Thanks athensmomof3 ---the photo link is beautiful.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I have mirrors inside my upper cabinets that
    reflect light into the rest of the cabinet making
    them appear deeper. And it also makes the lighting
    look better. I wish I had time to photograph them
    for you.

I love the idea of putting mirrors instead of glass
    for the uppers. I am just about to watch a movie with
    DH, So I don't have time to post. But check out
    Decorpad. I hope my link works for you to see an
    example.

Your decorator designer...kd sounds brilliant!

~boxerpups

Here is a link that might be useful: Decor pad had them

• californiagirl
    13 years ago

It doesn't get much more upscale than St. Charles of New York. Look at these mirrored cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: High end kitchen with beveled mirror cabinets

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Oh I love the pic that Californiagirl posted!
    Go for it! I'd think they would be more practical than glass. You can hide things behind them and IMO, mirrors are easier to clean than clear glass. I think your KD is on to something!

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Well, you people must be a lot better looking than me. When I walk into the bathroom in the morning, I thank God I can't see a thing in the mirror without my glasses!

Though I suppose if I had a full length mirror on a cabinet or refridgerator door I'd be much less likely to snack. (this is what caused me to walk away from buying a JennAir fridge a few weeks ago. Black mirrored glass on the front.)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I love the idea...it reminds me of ancient European villas. LOL weedmeister...might be a snack deterrent.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I am going to do three mirrored cabs (total six doors), two on each side of range and one near the refrigerator. The doors are the Madison style which is a sort of shaker with a little detail around inner edge. I had center stiles put in each door so the mirrored sections will be less than 5" wide on each side of stile. My wall cabs are painted butter cream yellow which is a similar color to the wall and will have 18" stacked cabs above with plain non-mirrored doors, the other doors on the 36" wall cabs will also have the plain painted Madison doors. I like the idea of having some mirror but not too much and I did not want a visual into the interiors. IÂm hoping for an open airy sort of casual organic chic look with the bottom cabs in stained Cherry.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

These mirrors are on range backsplash and below upper cupboards, but thought I'd share the images anyway....

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with mirrors on Kitchn

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Here is a unit...

Here is a link that might be useful: ebony dish cupboard with antique mirrors