Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Who's kitchen is this? (pic)

adh673
13 years ago

I really want to find out more about this window, but I dont remember who's kitchen it is. Does anyone know?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

It's mine. :)

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

The window is a custom wood window by a company called JT Windows out of Southern California. The two little side windows open in on hinges (like little doors). There are no screens on this window.

Our framer did the bump out which is about 13 1/2 inches. It is actually a little too deep. I can't reach the windows to open them without standing on a chair. I'm only 5'4 1/2'' though. My 6' husband can reach them. Our counters are high also at 37 3/4, so that may make it more difficult for me to reach as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will try to answer them.

~Wendy

• countrygirl217
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Would love to see more pics :) What is your faucet?

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Thanks countrygirl. :) The faucet is the Kohler Vinnata. I love it. Had it at my last house too.

I haven't posted to FKB yet. I still need to complete my lighting and I have some other fixes as well. And, I've been procrastinating. Yada, yada. ;)

Here is a link to some additional photos from Christmastime:

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/zz280/cali_wendy/Christmas%20pics%20of%20house/

And, here are some before and after shots from when we were just finishing up:

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/zz280/cali_wendy/Before%20and%20After%20Renovation%20Pics/

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmastime pics

• snoozingpug
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love all the windows the last pic in your link shows. So warm and inviting.

What sink do you have? What size is it?

Looking forward to seeing it on the FKB!

• countrygirl217
    13 years ago

Stunning! LOVE everything...the cabinets, pulls, sink, faucet, countertop. All gorgeous! And what a complete transformation of the house! Thanks for sharing!

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Oh, thank you for the kind words snoozingpug and countrygirl. :)

My sink is the Kohler Executive Chef. I also had this sink at my last house and loved it, so I went with it again. Kohler gives the dimensions in the link below. I use the dish drainer insert on the small side for all of the things I hand wash and I love not having them on the counter any more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Executive Chef Sink

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

cali wendy, your kitchen is beautiful and it was so much fun seeing how beautiful your house is at Christmas. Your floor plan is so nice, you must really enjoy it. I think your screen name should be Martha Stewart :)

• snoozingpug
    13 years ago

Thank you for the link, this sink is now one of our top two choices!

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

That is so sweet Nursetammi. Thank you. I am no Martha, but I suppose most of us could be if we had her staff! :)

Oh fun Snoozingpug. I'm glad you are considering it. Our architect had recommended the Kohler Smart Divide, which is similar but with the lower divider in the middle. But, after seeing it in person, I still liked the Executive Chef better.

• shermp
    13 years ago

Can you share the name of the granite and color paint on your fabulous cabinets?

Thanks!

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Shermp, our granite is honed and textured Colonial Gold and the cabinets are BM Linen White.

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cali_wendy! Thank you so much for posting. You have no idea how many people I have shown your kitchen window to trying to figure out a replica for my kitchen! I love it!

Could you give me the overall dimensions of your window- how big is the middle one and the sides?

Thanks!

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

I hadn't seen this kitchen, but I love that window, too!

I've been obsessed with push out casements and actually just ordered a similar push out casement window trio from Marvin (Marvin Ultimate Push out casement.) I love it because it has the push out and not the hand crank. You can also have the hardware mounted lower so it is easier to reach above the sink.

We selected a 28" picture window in the middle flanked by two 16" operational push out casement windows. 16" are the smallest casement they offer, I believe they go up in 2" increments.

It is wood interior, extruded aluminum exterior. There is an interior wooden screen currently available and they will soon be introducing an available disappearing screen that rolls out from one side of the window. (They only have it currently listed for their crank casement, but I have been assured the modifications have been made by Marvin for the push out and they will be officially rolling it out for the push out models in the next week or so.) I can't wait!

Marvin's website sucks-they don't even show a good picture of this window- but if you work with a local Marvin dealer, they can help you configure this window all different kinds of ways and give you a diagram of what it looks like.

It's great too because if you have an older home (ours is 1913) you can also select other more historical details like a thinner 5/8" mullion (vs standard 7/8") and a taller bottom rail to give your window a more old-fashioned look, which is what I did.

I did cottage style=full divided lites: our 28" window is a 4 over 4 pattern and the 16" is a 2 over 3. (I made it work out so each lite was roughly 5" inches) But, you could do just a row of lites across the top, or like cali Wendy do no lites in the middle window and 3 lites on the side windows, etc.)

You can also get this style window from Kolbe, (I linked their website so you can at least see the details of the product, the Marvins are very similar.) I had never heard of the Kolbe windows, they are less than the Marvins but I came across some less than stellar reviews, so in the end opted for the Marvins.

Hope that helps you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kolbe push out casement

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump- hoping Cali Wendy will see this and give me the window sizes :-)

thanks littlesmokie for the info, I will look at some of these vendors- I contacted Cali Wendy's vendor but they say it would be a million times easier to source locally (in so many words).

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Thanks for bumping. Sorry I didn't see it sooner. We just got back from Canada late Wednesday and I've been crazy since we got back.

Ok, so I just measured the window and it is approximately 63'' wide overall. Weird...I thought it was supposed to be a 5' window, but I guess it ended up a little bigger. The two side operable windows are approximately 11.5'' each, which would put the middle section at about 40''. I say approximately because I can't tell exactly with the trim work. The actual glass on the small side windows is only 5 1/4'' and the middle glass piece is 33''.

They are all wood. The glass is dual-paned. The one thing I really like about the way they do their windows is that the panes are close together and they use a dark metal spacer instead of the bright silver that some manufacturers use. I know that is such a silly thing, but I really hate the silver metal spacers. Weird, I know. The side windows are "true" divided lights and they really do look a lot like the older single-paned windows would look because of the way they do their spacers.

The side windows are actually pull-in casements with the hinges on the inside. We have some other casements by the same company in our house that push out and they have the retractable pull-down screens. The kitchen window doesn't have any screens though. I almost always have my french doors open so I figure I'll have bugs anyway. ;)

I opted for the hinges on our windows because I really liked the look. They could only do the casement "arms" in bright brass and that would have just ruined it for me. Again, I realize I am nuts. :) We do need to install the casement stays that go on the inside window sills for our larger push-out casements to keep the windows in place when they are open. The little kitchen windows don't need them though since they open in.

I *may* have some drawings from the manufacturer with the exact sizes and other design details. I'll have to check in the garage tomorrow...too dark tonight. If I can find it, I'll scan it for you.

I agree it will be easier to work with a local company. We did have a few issues after installation and the manufacturer had to come back and make some adjustments. A word of advice...make sure you hire a well-qualified painter who has experience with wood windows. Our painter made a mess of things and we have to hire someone to repaint them all.

So, I'll get back to you tomorrow about the drawings. :)

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Well, I did find some paperwork, but I can't find the drawings. The framer must have ended up with them.

The specs on the paperwork specify a window that has a three section window (1' flanker - 3' middle - 1' flanker), but when I measure in real life it is 3'' bigger. I have no idea why. The window is 3' high.

Some of the other specs are: 3/4 jamb with eastern brick mould, 3 3/4 sill horns, dual glazed low e, bronze spacer bar (1 1/4 bar), parliament hinges with ball tips, Baldwin bronze casement latches.

There were other details they did that were specific to our architect. They had worked together previously and so the window company kind of knew what he wanted, but I'm not even sure what all of those details are. I remember sitting in one very long meeting with my architect and the window company merely trying to keep my then 3.5 year old entertained.

Just as an FYI, we paid $1,781 for this window.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your window. I'll be excited to see a photo of it installed!

• adh673
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cali Wendy,

Do you have any pix of the window on the outside of the house? My husband is trying to figure out how far it will stick out from the exterior wall. TIA!

• edie_g
    13 years ago

Sorry to hijack your thread adh673, but I would like to know how Wendy likes her higher counters (and sink).
    I wonder if I will be sorry in the future because counter height is not something easily modified.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Nice wood valance too, btw.... Sometimes it is the little touches that stand out, though your larger touches are sweet too ;)