Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

View of neighbor's houses from kitchen

needsometips08
14 years ago

Do you stand at your kitchen sink looking out the window and see your neighboring houses?

If so, how is it? Do you get used to it? What do you do to mitigate it?

Our current kitchen sits deeper into our house - and our yard is raised, so you don't see any houses at all. I love that. Total privacy even with the blinds open.

The new plan would put me looking squarely at the house behind ours while at the sink, and the sliding glass door to my side displays the house beside us. I don't like the feeling it gives, like I could be watched at any time, not to mention that houses are not the prettiest view and I don't want to be reminded that I live in a development daily.

But is this reason enough to forgo a reno? There is literally no other layout option in my kitchen without adding on.

Comments (16)

• sfcitydweller
    14 years ago

Needsometips08-

I live in a urban environment, where our house literally shares its side walls with the house to our right or left. I can look directly into my neighbors kitchen from my window, we share about a 6ft wide light well with the house next to us. The window is original to the building, 1920's, and it is seeded glass. I usually keep the window about 1/4 of the way up so I'm not starring at my neighbor constantly. Are you able to do frosted glass or something similar that would let light in but you would not be glaring at the house behind you? My other idea was to plant vegetation in your back yard in order to maximize privacy.

I thing I may have an exaggerated case of looking at my neighbors house :-)

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Needsometips, like sfcitydweller, we are smack dab in the heart of a high density city neighbourhood. As I sit here at my island, I can look out and see three houses whose backyards abut my property line - and these are not big backyards! To add to the proximity, we incorporated four *big* windows into the kitchen design - no window covering - so there is a good view both out and I'm sure, in! I just posted a couple of photos on another thread of our roofline and in those you can see just how close we are.

This is an extension so we are *much* closer to our neighbours than we used to be. Although I thought it would bother me, we've been in this house for 12 years now and I'm accustomed to the proximity, and being even closer hasn't been an issue. Plus those windows were a priority for us as we wanted to get as much light into the kitchen as possible.

Right now, with my lilac trees and honeysuckle starting to to really explode, it looks quite pretty, but for sure it was stark in the winter. We chose seeded glass as sf mentioned above and for us it's just the right balance between clear (which we did not want) and opaque (which would have impded our ability to enjoy the bit of garden that still surrounds the extension).

It's a long way of saying that there's no way I would not have done this extension because of that. But only you know what you'll be comfortable with, in the end.

HTH,
    Eliz

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Trellis with climbing roses or other viney things suitable to your area - moonflowers, mayapples, clematis are some possible examples. You can size the trellis so the upper part of the window area still has a sky view.

Some hollies, boxwood, euonymous and evergreens are great screening materials. Small flowering trees also make good part-year screens. Before selecting check the height, width and the rate of growth to make sure its going to do what you want it to do while you're still alive.

Privacy fencing - short runs in the correct places. The absolute best one I've seen was for an old, narrow townhouse that had a pre-existing very tall chain link fence in the back yard. The person attached metal hubcaps in a pattern to the chain link and grew non-invasive vines around them. He had put a huge pond in the center of the yard and did a Japanese garden around it - spectacular and very private without being dark or feeling confined.

• katiee511
    14 years ago

Our kitchen is at the front of the house, in a development. My kitchen window over the sink has an unobstructed view of two neighbor's kitchens across the street. While I can clearly see into theirs if their blinds are up or the lights are on, ours is not as clear due to a front porch with an overhang roof line. Do you get used to it? Yes, you do. Is it ideal or private? Not at all.

Since our remodel started, my cellular shades have been down and our window is completely exposed. While I would love to have no window treatments, I will end up putting in something just because I grew up with a Mom always stating you don't walk around at night with the lights on without covering the windows! Old teachings do stick with you, I guess.

Would I suggest you forego a reno because of it? Absolutely not!! A great functioning kitchen that you love to work in beats any wierd feelings caused from it, hands down! If your neighbors have nothing better to do than watch you cook and eat, that's their problem. Mine don't watch me (I think) and I don't watch them. You really do get used to it. I glance out the window when I am at the sink, but there is nothing worth staring at..... LOL.

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

My previous house had a similar setup to what you are describing. I hated it!! I never got used to it. My house was basically a starter house. It would never have been worth it to do an addition. I would not have gotten any money out of it. I just added on to the kitchen of my current house. It is a huge headache. I could not have justified doing this unless I loved where I live. If your lot is irreplacable and you love your location it will probably be worth it. Everything cost more than I thought it would. A lot more. My lot is a private 5 acre lot on the Mississippi River. It would be impossible to find a lot as nice as mine to rebuild on. You already have some reservations about looking into your neighbors house. If you do love your house maybe you should consult with a different architect. Maybe a different perpsective will yeild a better plan.

• bugbite
    14 years ago

Seriously, buy the fastest, tallest growing bushes for your area. Get them right now, put them in and keep them watered. Don't wait for 5 years trying to determine what to do. Do it now. Some Viburums (sp) are good. Ask the Garden forum. Trees can take too long. I planted 6 more bushes 3 years ago. They are 14 ft tall now. Wish I planted 20. (I already have huge palms and magnolias and other trees growing but I want more. And the house is at least 125 ft behind, on 100ft wide lots, but my yard dips and a 6 ft fence doesn't protect a thing.
    Crazy, but it's what I did recently: layer it with 2 or 3 types of bushes. Which ever grows fastest wins.
    I live in a nice area, but I don't want to see everything that is going on in my neighbors backyard.
    Bob

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I bet you love being able to keep blinds open and have
    total privacy. Nice. I too can only see lilacs, peonies,
    daisys, hydrangeas, hostas, large trees, shrubs, ...from
    my ktichen windows. I can not see a house.

My DH wanted privacy. We have a long private drive 1/4
    mile. We can not even see our mailbox from our home.
    We have 8 or so acres. This neighborhood of 25 homes all
    having such large lots that it is difficult to see your
    neighbors, was designed around the natural habitat land.
    The land can never be developed part of the neighborhood.
    We pay a huge price to live here but I love the wildlife,
    ability to walk around in pajamas all day, blinds open
    and being just 45 min from Boston.

We have lived in everything from a row house, town house,
    micro mini city apartment, urban suburban with 10 feet
    between houses, zero lot lines, a home with a
    3 acre lot and this house is the best as far as privacy.

Let me tell you why my DH wanted a home with a long
    private drive.
    We once lived in a lovely house with neighbors that could
    look right into our home. The wife would watch us for
    hours and hours. She rarely left the home and may have
    had some mental illness. The only reason I found out was
    one of my kids pointed it out to me.

Mrs. X is looking at us mommy. I about flipped.

I figured out pretty quick why the previous owner had the
    most elaborate security system with eye beams, cameras,
    otion detectors, voice alram in several languages... It
    was like Mission Impossible. Because of that wacky
    neighbor my DH wanted freedom without worries of seeing
    himself on the internet oneday. LOL.

The other neighbors all knew this poor woman suffered some
    sort of illness. We named her Mrs. Cravits from
    an old tv show called Bewitched. DH and I encouraged the
    kids to wave to "Mrs. Cravits" so they wouldn't be afraid.
    She waved back.

I like our privacy, but Sometimes I miss being in a close
    knit neighborhood. Back then we would all sit out side on
    Fri nights with margarittas and chips. Fun and friendly.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I am in an urban setting with close neighbors. Right now, I have an impenetrable "forest" of trees outside my window and cannot see my neighbors. However, in the winter we can all see each other. I think there are two questions that need to be answered: (1) is your climate allowing year-round greenery, and (2) what are your neighbors like? From my POV, close neighbors are just part of life, and I really don't notice it much. But I have nice unobtrusive neighbors. How are yours? I am reminded of a TV commercial for window blinds where the homeowner could see her neighbor, an overweight man, in his undershirt, with hairy shoulders and plumbers crack, every morning. Pretty funny (unless it's you!). The ad showed how she installed top-down blinds so she could still get light and not see him. So, I say your situation depends on how your neighbors are, and whether blinds and/or greenery can be an easy solution for you.

• rosie
    14 years ago

We're also in the middle of four acres, and when the trees are leafed out we can't see any of the several houses around. We wanted that, but now we really like being able to see a little scrap of the road curving below from our porch. If we look quick, we can see who's going by. :)

Needsometips, it sounds like this particular plan would cost something precious and important to you and seriously impair your enjoyment and comfort in your home. How about a nice tour of China instead?

• Fori
    14 years ago

My last house (1920s vintage) had the kitchen window about 6 feet from the brick wall of the neighbor's house. We joked about painting a mural on their house...it didn't line up with their windows fortunately.

A garden window can be just what you need if you can squeeze it in.

Right now my kitchen faces the street. I'd rather face the neighbors...

• joann23456
    14 years ago

As AKChicago said, close neighbors are just a part of life where I live, in a northeastern city. We have a screen of trees on one side of the house which affords some privacy, but looking out our kitchen window, you see the neighboring house (actually, a 3-story house converted into condominiums) about 25 feet away. I can look out my window and see my neighbors sitting in their kitchen, and I know they can see us.

I don't think about it much anymore. We do have shades, if we want complete privacy, but there's really no good option for privacy otherwise. (There's a porch and a patio and a fence in between, so no space for shrubs or trees. Anyway, you'd never be able to block out the view from the neighboring third floor.) I wouldn't want anything but clear glass, as it would obscure the view of the garden, which I love.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I think the right window shades and a well-planned landscaping is the answer.

My kitchen is at the back of the house, which is 20-25' from the property line. Our neighbor' house sits 4' higher than ours. When we moved in, we had no privacy (new construction, no landscaping). In went the privacy fence and a row of strategically placed arborvitae. But that's boring so I also planted a very nice garden in front of them, layering trees, shrubs and perennials. Fence and hedge faded into the background. I now have the prettiest view out my kitchen windows that brings me joy every day. Neighbors? What neighbors!

I could have chosen plants that grew big quickly, as another poster suggested, but I opted to rein in my impatience and choose carefully so that my quickly found privacy didn't turn into a gardening nightmare overnight. There are exceptions but in general, fast growing plants tend to be weak growing with aggressive root systems - and sometimes they can be short-lived to boot. Going this route may give you a quick solution but perhaps not the best long term result. You could also find yourself pruning those rapid growers several times a year just to keep them from taking over.

If funding allows, hire a garden designer. Ask for references, go see their work and interview them the same as you've interviewed people for your kitchen remodel. If funds are tight, ask for selection assistance at your local reputable independent nursery (not a big box store). Also try the county office of your state's Master Gardener program. Google "(your state) Master Gardener" to find them. They are affiliated with your state's land grant university. A well designed garden will net you a sizable return when you sell, not as high a percentage as a kitchen remodel but still quite respectable.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Hey, my kitchen is situated on the second floor at the rear of my attached rowhouse in Brooklyn, New York. The kitchen's windows are a triple bay which take up the entire rear wall and are nearly floor to ceiling in height. Very similar to Joann's situation, I have partial side views into my neighbor's kitchen that can't be denied and vice versa! Luckily, though, those immediate neighbors and I have large trees in our backyards which help to block direct facing views -- except during the winter months when the limbs are bare. However, I can't block views from all potential onlookers that way. For example, my house is in the sight line of several taller apartment buildings the next block over, including a nearby 17-storey apartment complex, complete with terraces. No fence, trees or shrubbery alone can stop the residents of those taller buildings from gazing over and down into my kitchen if they want to! :->

Still, as a single female and empty nester living in the Big Apple, I do try to preserve my privacy in this involuntarily intimate urban oasis. :-> As such, I've hung off white, French macrame lace curtains at the bottom half of my double hung windows. These curtains not only work well with my design scheme, but also allow light and air to come in, and don't give a clear view into my kitchen during the day or at night (at least I hope the latter statement is true!) In the winter, when the trees are leafless, I bring my house plants which have been summering outside,back inside and hang them in the upper half of the windows.

Clearly, my privacy challenge is alot more difficult than the one you will inherit with your reno. But, by all means, go ahead and renovate your kitchen! At least, if some folk get a kick out of looking into your home from time to time, they will get a much nicer looking view, will they not? LOL! And, yes, take it from me -- you can do definitely learn to live just fine with a more challenged sense of privacy. Especially, if you apply some of the great suggestions you have received in this thread.

Good luck!

• morton5
    14 years ago

I agree that landscaping is your friend if you have views of your neighbors-- and even if you don't! Plan for it in the budget, though-- over the years I have spent much more on landscaping than I did on my kitchen. If you are willing to do the labor yourself and buy younger plants you can of course save $. Either way, the results are soul-satisfying.

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

I am going to have the same problem with my kitchen window when our reno is finished. I really, really wanted a huge window behind the kitchen sink--I have never NOT had one. The architect thought it was a bit weird, I am sure, since the side of my neighbor's house is only about 10 feet away, along with several windows from which they could see our kitchen goings-on.

I don't want to sacrifice the light to a window treatment (although Marthavila's crocheted curtains sound like a good compromise) so I just had this beveled window made. I intend to hang it over the window, so as to still allow the double-hung window to operate. The style works with our 120 year-old house, but could be made with cleaner lines, too.

Definitely go for the layout that works--you will be able to resolve the privacy issue without too much trouble!