Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysfixin_gw

Special Installation Instructions for Tall Pre-Rinse Faucet?

alwaysfixin
13 years ago

We were going to get a pull-out faucet, but now we are thinking about one of the "wow-factor" pre-rinse faucets. A few that we have seen are as tall as 26-28". I am wondering if these tall faucets have any kind of special installation requirements. I recall dimly a mention on this forum about plywood or something under the counter to keep the tall faucet straight/steady/immobile? I do not recall the details, can someone fill me in? I can imagine that a 26-28" tall faucet may be more likely to sway or jiggle than a more average 9-12" tall faucet. And the weight of the dangling sprayer which is also quite long, would seem to increase the chances of leaning. How do you keep it from looking like the Tower of Pisa?

We will have 3 cm granite countertop, and a Blancoprecis silgranit Super Single sink. We don't know which faucet yet. I am also concerned our plumber will not have installed this type of faucet before, so any extra knowledge or insight to its installation would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Do you mean for a faucet like this(the one under the window?). We have 3cm granite and didn't do anything differently than with the other faucet on the island. DH installed both faucets. It doesn't wiggle or feel like it's tipping over.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

A commercial pre rinse sprayer has a brace that is screwed to the wall about two feet above the counter. A residential faucet with the pre rinse sprayer doesn't have this, they are not as tall and don't need it.

• alwaysfixin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I should have provided examples of what we are considering. One we would like which is out of our price range, but we are using for inspiration is the KWC Systema (31" tall). Another we are considering is the Franke FF-1700, but it is TOO tall at 35". A couple others we've seen are in the 26-28" tall we'd like, I just can't find the links right now. But I hope the links I've provided will give you the idea. The faucets won't be the true professional types that are screwed to the wall (the sink is in front of a window), but they will be tall.

• alwaysfixin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant to add to my last post - Mahlgold, your kitchen is stunning. Is that a marble counter? And, which pre-rinse faucet do you have? And, how do you like how it operates--anything you'd change about the faucet? TIA.

• clarep_dc
    13 years ago

To chime in here--I have a Kraus 1602 (or perhaps the 1600--they are very hard to tell apart) and am very happy with it. Here are some of the features I wanted--I wanted both the sprayer and the regular mixer (spout) to have independent volume controls so that either or both could be on at one time. And I wanted a latch to lock the sprayer in the "on" position so that the spray could be used without having to hold the sprayer. Also the temperature and volume control moves from the 12 o'clock position (cold) down and toward the front of the sink for hot water. This is great if you are worried about the space between the back of your sink and the backsplash. The one issue is that you need to give plenty of space between the hole for the faucet and any hole for the soap or hot-water dispenser that will be to the right of the faucet--at least 6".

There was nothing special about the installation and it seems very solid.

We use ours with a Touch Master foot pedal and it is a great combination, but I don't think guests will be able to use our sink. I'm going to have to write up instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: residential pre-rinse faucet

• canyonhome
    13 years ago

That Kraus 1602 looks really nice!

AF, if you're willing to spend that much (as the Franke), you might want to take a look at the Waterstone 3710. I went with that although we're still in the middle of the remodel so I have yet to use it.

• albemi
    13 years ago

I'm interested in this post since my husband has his heart set on one of these faucets specifically the Blanco model. however, we have a 38 inch double sink and I'm concerned about the reach of the sprayer since it doesn't pull out.I'm intersted in the KWC too. The hoses on the Franke And Blanco look yellowish ...is that the case?

• ctincc
    13 years ago

My DH just ordered the Krause 1602 a few hours ago. Got a great deal on Overstock.com. Can't wait for it to come in. It seemed to have all the features we were looking for. I asked him about the stability factor (he's a really handy DIY guy) and he said it would be no problem. We also got a really nice, very large Krause SS double sink on Overstock.com. Can't wait till my kitchen is finished to be able to use both of them.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

alwaysfixin - thanks for the compliment. Wish I could just pick a backsplash so I could finish up this project! The island counter is marble. The faucet is a Blanco.

• shoelvr
    13 years ago

Can anyone post a follow up if they use the Kraus faucet (1600 or 1602)..maybe even pics? Thanks!