Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reshal_gw

Anyone Had Their Fireclay Apron Sink Crack or Craze?

reshal
14 years ago

My fireclay apron sink was installed in its custom cabinet May 9th. The soapstone which was custom cut to perfectly show a 1/4" reveal was installed last weekend. Since then I have noticed a cracking sound about every other time I used the sink. I couldn't figure out what it was. Was it the disposal? The cabinet? NO! I discovered today that my sink is crazed and cracked all over the bottom of each bowl radiating out from the drains. I went online to do some research and email the supplier, and found out that it's likely the plumber over-tightened the drains which can cause the cracking. Now what? Obviously the plumber is liable for my expensive sink, but was I suppose to warn him? My main concern is that it was handmade and another sink most likely won't fit the custom dimensions in the sink cabinet and the soapstone. Anybody else deal with this? What to do, what to do?

Comments (19)

• golddust
    14 years ago

Is your disposal supported underneath the sink or is it supported by the sink alone?

• reshal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Supported by the sink. The disposal was also installed by the plumber. Thank you for your input! :)

• reshal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Was there supposed to be a support for the disposal?

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry, that's really rotten luck. I assume that your plumber can cover a replacement out of his insurance, although he may growl about it a little. In terms of the custom-fitted sink cutout, it might depend a lot on the type of sink itself. What brand is the sink? Perhaps you can consult with your cabinetmaker/countertop templater?

My disposal is not supported by anything but the fireclay sink, FWIW, although it's the smaller 3/4 HP kind. I don't know what rules this decision (extra support for disposal or not), but someone here might have more experience with this scenario. From what I've read, your cracks are probably more from the collar being tightened too much around the sink than from the weight of the disposal, but I'm no expert.

Keep us posted!

• reshal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The sink is Whitehaus. Now that I've slept on it, I think we can remove the sink and put a new one in easier than I thought although "easy" isn't the right word for what's ahead. The counter is soapstone so I'm sure my fabricator can re-cut it on site for the new sink. It won't be as perfect a reveal as was done with the CNC machine, but beggars can't be choosers in this situation I guess. I'm still interested in what determines whether or not the disposal should be supported. I agree with you, circuspeanut, that it is from the collars being too tight as the cracks are radiating out from both drains although only one is supporting a disposal.

If I don't replace the sink, does anyone know what will happen? It's vitreous china fireclay. Will it leak? Could the hairline cracks just in the glaze or do you suppose they will go all the way through? Thank you!

• reshal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still looking for insight from others...thanks!

• singingmama
    14 years ago

I'm so glad to hear this info because I'm getting ready to order a Whitehaus apron front sink. I'll make sure the disposal gets put in carefully. My question has to do with where you purchased the sink. I've seen some great prices on-line, but I'm hestitant about getting one with defects. What was your experience?

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh. What a bad story. I'm so sorry. I would call Whitehaus and ask if the sink is still usable with the cracks.

• reshal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Singingmama I bought the sink online and got a great deal at around $550 with free shipping. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one because the issue isn't the sink, it's how tight the plumber tightened the collars. But now that I have to replace the sink, the Shaw double bowl is tempting me. The Whitehaus double bowl wasn't big enough for me and I've had a hard time washing pots and pans in the few short weeks since I've had it hooked up.

• Htown1955
    12 years ago

I have a Kohler fireclay sink that cracked from the drain out, towards two corners and up one side. They are going to have to replace it. Kohler said it was because it was installed too tightly. I didn't even think to ask about the garbage disposal. Is the concensus that it should be supported so it won't vibrate too much? Kohler is replacing the sink because there was nothing in the instructions and hand tightening rather than using a wrench. We purchased through Home Depot.

• bianca97
    5 years ago

Hellllp!!! I'm going through the same thing. Cracks radiating out from the drain. It started as just one, then two, now i've noticed 4 additional cracks, though less pronounced. They feel deep though, as in I cannot feel them under my finger but they are VERY visible. Ours is a Blanco. The manufacturer has offered to replace the sink but does not cover the labor cost to replace, which is like $1k. Not to mention, our quartz counters are built around the sink and will have to be cut to slide out and replace the sink, meaning they'll never look the same again. Does anyone know of a repair that can hide the cracks? I'd rather go that route. And our garbage disposal is not supported underneath either. No one has suggested this before. Repair ideas????

• tishakleiman
    5 years ago

I have the 36 inch Franke Villeroy and Both Fireclay Farmhouse sink. What a lemon! We bought it in 2015. It began crazing around the drain within a year. We are very careful to never drop anything in the sink , and maintain it very well. I had the Franke Representative out to look at it after the crazing began driving me crazy. They refused to replace it. It looks terrible and what is worse is the fact Franke did not stand behind their product. I have a Kohler farmhouse sink (not fireclay) in a second home and it is heads and tails, superior to the Franke. Stay away from Franke.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

"Not to mention, our quartz counters are built around the sink and will have to be cut to slide out and replace the sink, meaning they'll never look the same again."

bianca97:

Your countertops will not need to be cut or removed. The sink is replaced by removing and reinstalling the cabinet front. Not a big deal; I've done it hundreds of times. I'd charge about $1,500.00 because I can.

Note the cabinet front has been tapped off in this picture. You can see the little yellow blob of hot melt glue and the staple that held it on.

It's the only way you're getting this sink in:

• Pam
    4 years ago

bianca 97. Where are you located? I am hoping near me. I have a cracked Franke sink but my contractor is saying it would be a dangerous and big deal to try to replace it. Meanwhile I don't know if I can use the sink with a crack in it. I am hoping you might be able to help me.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

" I have a cracked Franke sink but my contractor is saying it would be a dangerous and big deal to try to replace it."

Your contractor doesn't know what he's talking about. I'll change that sink in a day; no cracking. Have him contact me and I'll tell him how it's done.

• Pam
    4 years ago

Joseph Colett how do we contact you? My contact info is dbaamom2@gmail.com

• Pam
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Joseph Colett, my granite was cut to my Franke sink which now has a large crack eminating from the drain across the whole sink. I understand that the Franke sinks are not identical in size. Is that going to pose a problem if I have the sink replaced? Also, I saw that there is a repair kit. Do you know if it works for cracks as well a scratches and if it does the job or is replacing the sink the best option? My contractor says it is too risky to try to replace the sink. Apparently, you know something that he does not. Will you contact me at the email above so we can discuss this problem. Thank you so much. Pam PS What about refinishing the sink like they do bathtubs?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

" I understand that the Franke sinks are not identical in size. Is that going to pose a problem if I have the sink replaced? "

No.

"Also, I saw that there is a repair kit. Do you know if it works for cracks as well a scratches and if it does the job or is replacing the sink the best option?"

Repair kits won't work. You need replacement.

" My contractor says it is too risky to try to replace the sink."

His is mistaken.

" Apparently, you know something that he does not."

I've done several hundred sink replacements; virtually all without removing the countertop.

" Will you contact me at the email above so we can discuss this problem."

Joseph Corlett, 248-842-5693, loosedeckcannon@gmail.com

"What about refinishing the sink like they do bathtubs?"

Go ahead, set your money on fire. These folks did before they called me: