Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gb85

George Foreman is a genius - I'm just saying...

gb85
14 years ago

We are entering week 4 of not having a kitchen and I have to say our little George Foreman grill is the workhorse of the the temp kitchen. We first got it years ago when the kids were toddlers and cooking fast was a top priority. After the kids got old enough for us to focus on cooking again the GF grill went to the back of the cabinet. We pulled it out when we were cleaning out the kitchen and the kids thought it was a great novelty item and wanted to use it during the 'camping' phase of the kitchen remodel. Score one for the kids!!! We use the GF for everything - this morning I made french toast in it.

Maybe after the kitchen is done I will continue to keep it handy! Anyone else find anything surprising during their remodel phase they have continued to use?

Comments (11)

• jem199
    14 years ago

We just got our GF out for our temporary kitchen! Our remodel starts 6/1 so we're starting to clean out the cabinets and hauling stuff to goodwill. I suspect the crockpot and bread machine will get revived during this experience.

• pat_123
    14 years ago

Yes, the crockpot has been very handy during our remodel. So has the microwave, electric rice pot and tea kettle. The most useful has been the propane grill. We just finished week 4. Halfway home.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

My suggestion isn't a grill or crockpot, but those plastic drawer containers. Target had them on sale the week prior to demo, and they have been marvelous. That's where I put the utensils like the can opener and cheese cutter, the knives, plastic bags, paper goods -- I bought 2 of them and I don't know what we would be doing without them. Helps keep a bit more organization in our lives, and kept the fine dust off of it as well.

I need to go cruz Goodwill for a GF grill!

• mailfox7
    14 years ago

I kept some drawers and a couple wall cabinets from the demo to use in the temp. kitchen -invaluable and free. Fortunately, we planned the remodel in the summer. We set up a pop up on the deck in the backyard, some folding tables for counters and with the cabinets, we were all set. The gas grill was the workhorse! We even hooked up a medical hose to a plastic laundry sink and faucet for water.

• gb85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - I love the medical hose for a sink. Washing dishes in the downstairs pedestal sink has been the biggest challenge. Bathroom sinks are not meant for dish washing. My husband is the main dishwasher in our house therefore gets to make the decision on the sinks. I had to send him a text at work last week because it was final decision time. His simply text back on his decision - he just wanted a pedestal sink in the kitchen. I was in a meeting and had to really work to keep from laughing out loud.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I love my GF. I love it even more with the new kitchen! I put it on the counter next to the range, the exhaust hood is so strong that it pulls all the smoke/steam/smell stuff from the GF. I simply love the idea of marinating chicken breasts, throw them on the grill and while they are cooking I can prep the salad stuff, couple minutes later the chicken is done, I cut it up and throw on the salad. Just the fact that it cooks from the top and bottom is a huge plus!

My dh couldn't believe when our range was operational that I was pulling the GF out and also the toaster oven for small stuff. Well, he has since crossed over to the "dark" side and loves GF too. Now, if I could just get my Roomba working right again...

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

GB, LOL at your husband and the pedestal sink.

I bought a portable induction unit and I'm already liking it even before the demo has started.

• pat_123
    14 years ago

Cooking during demo/renovation:
    Protein from the grill (GF or propane) or slow cooker.

Rice in electric rice pot, couscous with microwaved chicken broth, or potatoes boiled on induction burner.

Veggies from the grill, steamed in the microwave, or sauteed on the induction burner.

Oatmeal in slow cooker or off induction burner.

No vent means no browning of meats on the induction burner.

Plastic storage drawers (like rjr220) holding utensils, plastic wrap/bags, condiments, spices, tea and coffee. DH was in disbelief that I transported all of the spices to the temp. kitchen, but has since decided it wasn't a bad decision since we're marinating lots for the grill.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I too think the GF is a "classic"!
    GF: paninis, chicken breast, turkey burgers, teriyaki skewers, french toast, grilled zucchini, you can even cook an egg on the GF by tilting it up...endless possibilities
    Blender: smoothies with every kind of fruit and yogurt are a yummy healthy breakfast (add spinach to a blueberry smoothie, they will never know)
    Crockpot: do you know you can slow cook a meatloaf in a crockpot? Stews, soups, casseroles, baked potatoes
    Rice cooker: add lentils to the rice and cook, add edamame too.
    BBQ: pizza and everything you would normally BBQ!
    Fondue pot: bring back the fondue--my kids love this cheesey goop!
    Toaster: turned on it's side and lined with aluminum can heat a slice of pizza
    Breakfast for dinner using an electric skillet: pancakes, sausages.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

The discovery that my very basic rice cooker works really well as a crockpot, and also as a big electric saucepan: I made soups in it, but it turned out to be great for cooking pasta: just don't put the lid on it, and it stays boiling. If it switches to "warm", just keep clicking it back to "cook" - that plus a single electric burner meant we had completely 'normal' dinners throughout the remodel and I still use the rice cooker as a crockpot!

• doonie
    14 years ago

You all are making me wish I had one of those George Forman's! Be that as it may, I did splurge on an electric rice cooker and that, along with the wok in the garage, have allowed us to continue to eat our veggies. We did revive an old Smokey Joe charcoal grill (we can't access our gas grill any more with the remodel), so that has been very helpful too. I did buy a portable electric hotplate, which was definitely not worthwhile. I It took 25 minutes to cook pasta! And I am sadly lacking in crockpot cookery.

firsthouse, looks like you are running a gourmet camp at your house;)!!