Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Function v. Look: Induction v. Gas Range?

gobruno
14 years ago

Hi all,

I have always pictured the kitchen we are planning for our house to have a large Wolf range. I have always just loved the look of the big professional appliances. That being said, I've recently been reading a lot about the superiority of induction cooking, and now, I'm thinking seriously of going with an induction cooktop over a big range. I'm a bit torn though bc the cooktop doesn't have the same professional high end look. Does it matter? I love the fact that the induction can boil water so much faster and that it has precise temperature controls. I think that functionally, the induction cooktop makes more sense. I've noticed though that most people in this forum opt for the big gas range, and I was wondering if any of you have struggled with this dilemna?

Thanks!

Comments (73)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

pbrisjar is a frequent contributor here, and I see no reason to doubt her word, Gary. Different people often have different experiences and I, for one, having read the entire saga of her dilemma from start to finish, fully believe her.

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

Hey, Gary, the only wind I feel on this thread is from you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and people can have different experiences with the same appliance.

Why go to the trouble to savage her post that way?

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

I will refrain from ad hominem attacks...

Whatever.

My experiences and impressions are mine and I stick by them. It's not just me, either. As someone else posted above, just go over to the appliances forum for more.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

If money and space had been no object I would have installed 4 induction burners, an induction wok burner and 1 gas hob and put a huge hood over the whole deal. The best of both worlds! Maybe someday.

Plus, I'm looking forward to zoneless induction technology that I'm sure will be out by the time I'm ready for the next kitchen remodel. =)

Erika

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

Holy cow, dodge! Anyway what we have there is a "Gas Hugger" plainly biased, and short on facts but long on wind----course gas needs air. Calling pbrisjar a Gas Hugger sort of shows your own bias. She's documented her own personal disappointment with induction after having high hopes for it in a previous thread. The OP asked for those personal experiences. Additionally she had started a thread over in appliances several months ago regarding boiling times of induction vs. gas in which she asked others to join in on the experiment of how long it takes a specific amt of water to boil in a specific sized pan on each poster's induction or gas burner. The 30 seconds she cited is directly from forum member's experiences.

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

Forgot to answer the original question. We chose gas because in upstate NY we have to contend with possible power outages due to snowstorms/ice storms. I like knowing that I can still cook at home even if the power is out for an extended period of time. My future kitchen will probably have an additional induction burner as well as gas like elizpiz.

• niffy
    14 years ago

Thanks for this post- I am currently in the very same dilemma and considered posting the same question. I am leaning toward function (induction, for me) over form. I told my cabinet guy to go ahead and design a giant mantel hood as if I was doing a 48" rangetop. I'll just have a bigger landing area on each side of the cooktop if I choose the induction. Within the induction category I still have to make another form versus function choice: I can get the Wolf for just a few hundred $$ more than the Miele (rather than the usual 1K. Builder Wolf/Subzero program). In this case, I may choose the form (i.e. the nifty patterned glass on the Wolf) over function (the timers on the Miele burners).

• sailormann
    14 years ago

When we bought our appliances we had actually planned to get a nice dual fuel range with double ovens...to the point where the sales person had calculated our costs, estimated delivery and was writing up the order...

We chickened out and went with induction. We have had a smooth, easily cleaned cooktop for so long now that the idea of having to scrub around burners began to assume monolithic proportions. (particularly for the char because she's actually the one that gets stuck with the bad stuff ).

I am not expecting particularly great things from the cooktop, just that it will boil water faster than the last ceramic unit.

In a way I wish we had gone with gas but, we need to keep things in perspective here - it's a stove in a kitchen. What's important is not what cooks the food, it's the people who are there to eat it with us.

Note to Gary:

Have not seen your name here before. There are some internet forums where your message would have been perfectly acceptable, however it's a little abrasive for the general tone on this one. Please tone it down because it makes everyone uncomfortable and does nothing to further your oppinion.

Now let's move on.

• sally123
    14 years ago

I had an induction cooktop from 1992 to 2001, when we moved. I had to buy all new pans for it, but completely loved it and vowed never to go back to gas. We recently remodeled our kitchen and I am thrilled to have induction again. It responds immediately, it gets hotter on its highest setting and is cooler pn its lowest setting than any gas cooktop I have ever used and it cleans up in a fraction of the time. I use water and a miracle cloth. If something is burned on or hardened I put a bit of water on it and let it soak for a few minutes. That's it. My first one looked great after 9 years of hard use. I got the 5-burner mirror-finish Thermador and love, love, love it. I have never had a problem with pans sliding around, but use All-Clad which are very heavy. I would think light pans would be a problem on gas as well as induction. I also have never noticed clicks or noises. I will admit that a big gas range looks much cooler than a flat induction but that, to me, is its only advantage. It is really too bad you can't try one out for a couple weeks; I really think that's all it would take.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

OK, lest you folks think I posted, then "Ducked out", I didn't. Those of you that have corrected me are right!!!
    I kept rereading and rereading pbrisjar's post, trying to justify my earlier post. Was she just attacking her induction or "induction in general"? Lil more thought(hard at my age),--came to conclusion, it doesn't matter--She has the right to do either and it's certainly not up to me to "Correct her"---So My apologies to the lady and the other folks here for just wasting your time with a useless post.
    I can certainly relate to having something in your kitchen that becomes a "Chore to use"---something you don't look forward to using----hence cooking becomes a job, instead of something we really look forward to----which all of us deserve---as we all know how much thought, work and money and sacraficing(waiting for the new kitchen to be completed)goes into our "Dream Kitchen"
    Function v. Look is certainly a worth while "forum" , I wished I had found one before I had bought that fancy curved cooktop.
    It not only became a chore to use, but actually a Nightmare!
    I came downstairs one night, to get some icecream (usually I just go straight to bed). I looked over at the fancy cooktop, It had not only unlocked it'self, It had turned on one of the large burners all the way to high and not that far away was a distowel----I mean that was scarey---good thing I had a craving for icecream or good chance the whole house could have been burned down.
    Yep, "Guilty" I chose form over function. That cooktop
    gave me the whole idea for the curved kitchen.
    Anyway, my "long winded" way of saying, I was wrong, Sorry pbrisjar , your inputs as well as the others will hopefully keep our kitchens a joy to use, instead of what was a (Near Disaster), for us.

Sorry about not "Moving on" but I figgered you folks deserved an apology as this site have been invaluable to me.
    Never would have had Induction, or even know much about it, were it not for this site.
    As my arthritis is "Kicking up" in my hands, I may have to do more lurking, instead of posting---so you guys may be "Saved" by my stiffening Fingers (LOL)
    Kindest Regards:

Gary

• lucypwd
    14 years ago

If you really want the look and function of gas, then I don't think you will be happy with induction. I switched mid remodel and put in a 5 burner DIVA induction. I am perfectly happy with my choice. I love the clean, sleek look. I love that it is a breeze to clean and looks good. I love that the unit turns off if there is no pan on the burner. It is extremely responsive, maybe more so than gas. Pans DO NOT slide. I have NO scratches. the kitchen is NOT hot. There IS a slight buzz or hum with certain pans and/ or settings. I can also hear the cooling fan at times, very softly. At low settings, 1 or 2, there is a clicking that is heard while the unit cycles on/off. However, I don't think I would be happy if in my heart, I really wanted gas. It doesn't have the snap, crackle, pop of gas... It's really a matter of personal choice.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Gobruno, sorry to be late getting back - been on the road.

You're right - our induction is NOT under our hood. For what we use it for (so far), such as simmering soups, sauces, the tea kettle etc., it's not an issue. The hood is a high powered Modern-Aire and really does draw in well. In hindsight I might have made the hood even wider, but am extremely happy with both the set up and the performance so far.

HTH,
    Eliz

• golddust
    14 years ago

Dodge,

I'm glad you apologized to pbrisjar. She had it coming. I thought maybe you were an induction stove salesman because you took her 'asked for' opinion so personal. (snake oil and gas hugger?) LOL! She's just an induction stove owner, that is all.

Way to man up! :+)

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I also have a Wolf gas module and an induction module, plus the steamer. I've been using my son's kitchen (in his apartment at our home) during the remodeling and I'm so glad I didn't get the gas range because of the clean up. I tend to spill as I stir or lets just say I seem to every time I use his stove. And I just hate cleaning it.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Thanks Golddust, I'm not a saleman, but I do admit to being a "bit" over protective of induction. Part of it is old age the other part is due to the experience we had with that curved cooktop. For a while , didnt know what to do, even thought about running a gas line to kitchen, but fortunately Induction came to our rescue. Like I said, that was quite an experience to see how that old cooktop not only unlocked itself, but selected a big burner and turned it fully to high. I hate to think what would of happened had something been left on that cooktop. As you probably know an induction stove will not come on unless there is a pan on it and we never leave pans or pots on the stove.
    We usta shut off the circuit breaker to the cooktop, now we don't.
    Yep I over reacted also should have said Her Critique instead of attack----Oh Well Super Afterthought.

Gary

• ludy-2009
    14 years ago

Induction vs. gas ia tough decision. Draw whatever conclusions you choose when making the choice, but for either be informed about the health risks. The risk to those with pacemakers and the suggestion that for everyday use we use only the back burners, as well as the fact that they are too new in the US to tell whether Americans will like them, drove us away from induction. (See excerpt below.)

Health concerns and EMFs

Because these cooktops use an electromagnetic field to cook, all the manufacturers give cautions about people with a pacemaker using or standing near one while its in operation, as the electromagnetic field may affect the working of the pacemaker.

. . .

If youre concerned about EMFs(electromagnetic fields), there are a few things you can do to limit your exposure further. EMFs drop off substantially the further you are away from the source aim for a distance of 30 cm or more. For everyday use of the cooktop, use the back hotplates this should automatically give a 30 cm buffer to your body. And even though the active element should adjust to the size of the pan, use a pan thats the same size as the hotplate youre using.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I will chime in on Ludy's post to confirm that you might not choose induction if you have a pacemaker or similar implant, or at least until the technology evolves somewhat. I have a parent with an ICD (defibrillator implant) and they were warned off an induction hotplate by their heart surgeon.

Other than that, induction seems like a great choice, especially for folks who value speed for things like boiling water. We personally stuck with gas out of love for the romance and the look (we have an enormous 1949 vintage gas stove), and we like doing things like roasting garlic or peppers over the flame.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Cell phones and microwave ovens also generate electromagnetic fields.

I researched the pacemaker issue because my mom has a pacemaker and she wondered about being able to cook on our stove. See my link below to the Induction Site page where they compiled abstracts from a number of medical studies that have been conducted on the subject.

One 2006 study concluded that induction cookers are only of concern to people who have left-sided, unipolar pacemakers and are non-pacemaker-dependent, and even then only if they stand too close to the stove.

From the Oxford Medical Journals:

Patients are at risk if the implant is unipolar and left-sided, if they stand as close as possible to the induction cooktop, and if the pot is not concentric with the induction coil. Unipolar pacing systems can sense interference generated by leakage currents if the patient touches the pot for a long period of time. The most likely response to interference is switching to an asynchronous interference mode. Patients with unipolar pacemakers are at risk only if they are not pacemaker-dependent.

I probably would still tell my mom to try and keep her distance from the stove when she's at my house. It's actually a good excuse to make her sit down and relax for once. =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction Site: Health Concerns

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Continuing the discussion on health concerns, gas stoves emit nitrogen dioxide which has been shown to worsen asthma symptoms in children even at low levels. Many asthma doctors advise their patients to avoid installing any gas-burning device in their homes, including cooking appliances.

Here's an excerpt from an article entitled "Cooking with Asthma Control in Mind":

When it comes to cooking with asthma, the key is to keep cooking fumes at low levels. "Any kind of combustion produces gases and particles that can provoke respiratory disease, including asthma," says Gregory Diette, MD, associate professor of medicine and epidemiology, Center for Global Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Md. Gas stoves release nitrogen dioxide (NO2), a potent asthma trigger. Diette was part of a research team that looked at how far NO2 could spread in the homes of 150 preschool children who had asthma. They found that even if a childs bedroom is on a different floor of the house, away from the kitchen, levels of NO2 from gas stoves are high enough to be asthma triggers and that children living in a home with a gas stove were more likely to have asthma symptoms. "We know that electric stoves dont produce NO2 and natural gas stoves do," says Diette. "What I am telling people is, if you have a choice to put in one or the other, you should probably opt for the electric one."

And here are more citations I found on the Alive Magazine health and wellness website. I haven't researched all of these back to their source, so take with a grain of salt:

The founder and director of the Environmental Health Center in Dallas, Tex., William J. Rea, MD, states that, "Of 47,000 patients, the most important sources of indoor air pollution responsible for generating illness were the gas cook stoves, hot water heaters, and furnaces." (Chemical Sensitivity: Sources of Total Body Load, 1994)

Acute short-term exposure to nitrogen dioxide from single episodes of gas cooking was associated with immediate airflow limitation. Continued exposure from repeated episodes of gas cooking in asthmatic women was associated with greater use of rescue bronchodilators (Thorax, 2001).

Gas cooking generates very high concentrations of oxides of nitrogen plus more ultra-fine particles than electric cooking. Recent epidemiology suggests that cardiac effects cannot be excluded (Occup Environ Med, 2001).

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking with Asthma

• ludy-2009
    14 years ago

Without a doubt, both present risks -- health and otherwise -- which is why we almost went with electric. We entertain a lot, so my concern was not for those who we knew had pacemakers, but for those who we might not know have pacemakers.

It's just a matter of knowing what is written and then finding a comfort level. The above posts are great and very informative.

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

I'll admit to being a newbie when it comes to kitchens and appliances, as I didn't even consider induction simply as I didn't know about it! But I most likely would have stayed with my choice of gas after my last horrible experience with an electric ceramic topped range. I understand that induction is superior to the ceramic topped electric ranges, but they look alike to me - and I had such an awful time keeping mine clean. Plus, when I made jam one summer, and was distracted, sugary stuff spilt on it, never ever to be removed (actually, I managed to scratch the ceramic top). Plus there was the time that water boiled over and down into the controls. All of the controls read "HE HE HE" (I assumed that it was laughing at me).

My gas range has some draw backs in terms of keeping it clean - I find the grates to be heavy (they are continuous grates across the stove - quite big), and I'm worried about dinging the sink if I wrestle them into there. So dirty, they stay!

I really like my gas range, and if I were to do it again, I'd stick with gas, but go bigger (would be nice to fit two large pots on the same side).

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

chloe_s_mom: Your ceramic top got etched/damaged by the sugar. Any kind of sugar spill (including something like tomato sauce) is to be absolutely avoided as it can/will cause pitting / scratching / erosion of the top that is irreparable. And yes, induction cooktops are indeed the same ceramic tops, just with different innards so they would have the same, exact issues.

Gary, no worries. People often get over-emotional/emphatic on a variety of issues for a variety of reasons. Then there's the text with no tone issue of the internet. Live and learn and go on to struggle again another day (or something like that).

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I think there must be different types of ceramic cooktop surfaces. I cook a lot of Italian food and spilled tomato sauce on my old electric smoothtop many, many times during the over 10 years that I owned it, and it didn't hurt it one bit. I also spilled sugar syrups, caramel and pastry batters on it. I have never heard about sugar itself causing scratching, pitting or erosion, and that has certainly not been my experience.

I had a really tough time getting the burnt-on food off my old electric smoothop until I discovered Barkeeper's Friend. I'm not sure why my induction cooktop is so much easier to clean. I haven't had to scrub it or use cleanser on it, just a soapy nylon sponge. The bottoms of my pots and pans don't get dirty either.

• whyno
    14 years ago

We have the 36" Diva, absolutely love & would never ever settle for gas again.

Cheers,

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Sugar and glass/ceramic cooktops is a well-known issue that just comes with the territory. You were either just lucky or cleaned the spills soon enough to not cause any damage.

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=31488.0
    http://www.weiman.com/tips/top_care.php
    http://www.betterservice.biz/Page/340/Show.aspx

I believe the induction cooktop is easier to clean (and I have noticed this as well) because while it still gets hot, it doesn't get as hot as the old-fashioned ones and it's an indirect heat.

BTW, I do believe I've found a way to be more "at peace" with my induction stove. I bought an enameled cast iron dutch oven at Costco last week (KitchenAid brand) and it worked wonderfully well.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

I'd like to suggest that Ms P's condemnation of her range is more an issue with Kenmore than with induction itself. I've looked at that range too and have not been all that impressed. It is way overpriced. The induction option raises the price by nearly %80.

• kafey
    14 years ago

This is clearly a hot issue (ho ho). We completed a kitchen remodel about two years ago in MA, and couldn't have done it without all of the information and opinions I received from this website. From Kitchens, to Appliances, to Laundry, I became an informed consumer!
    At that time I chose the 36" Wolfe Gas Range, plus a wall Miele oven with microwave and warming drawer. Great combination all around. I love the Wolfe. I like the look, the power, and the exacting flame heights for the dial settings if desired. Although I don't mind cleaning it so much, the grates never look clean or new again. And, when placing them on the burner, if the placement isn't exact, the enamel top scratches in that immediate area. I find I don't use the oven that often because the wall oven is so much more convenient. I knew this when I planned the kitchen the gas oven would be the secondary oven for holidays, parties, roasting large cuts, etc. The kitchen came out great and I love it. I'll get around to posting some pics.

Now we are starting on a total kitchen remodel in our FL home. We got all our appliances just as Expo was bailing out, so we did get some good deals, and we also made a few compromises as well. This time I chose a 36" Miele Induction. (this choice was also the result of all my lurking on this site) The Kitchen part of the renovation won't start 'till mid-summer but I am looking forward to the experience of cooking on the induction. I chose it in order to minimize heat, because of the sleek look since it will be in an island, the safety, and for something new! We eat out more often in FL (at least for now) and also have an outdoor kichen that has a built-in gas grill. It is helpful to read all the comments and opinions regarding spills, cleaning, pads, etc. I already have All-Clad in both locations although I will need some additional items in FL, but I think I will look for something different so I don't duplicate everything when we finally relocate for good.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but once I start cooking on it I will probably post again, as someone who goes from one unit to the other and compare my experiences!

• gobruno
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the great discussion on this topic. We are still a little bit torn, but for now, we think that we are going to do what elizpiz did, and get the best of both worlds. We're planning on a 36" Wolf range with a 2 hob induction burner next to it, all under one big vent. Hopefully, this won't look like it's completely overkill. Elizpiz's looks nice, and hopefully, we can pull of something equally as nice. We still have time to change our minds another dozen times though....

• lilleth
    14 years ago

does the kenmore induction range come in white?

• lilleth
    14 years ago

I just heard from Sears that it does not come in white. Evidently it only comes in stainless. Boo.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I have a close friend with an induction...she and Pb could be twins when commenting online about their cooktops. She hates it, and nearly killed her husband the weekend she was out of town and he cracked the top...then to hide it from her replaced it with a new one. She would have killed for that excuse to replace the thing.

Now I look at Erika's kitchen pic (which I clipped...what a fabulous combination of old and new, especially the marble and we love stainless). I said "honey this is a perfect look for our victorian" his reply...except for that horrible cooktop. We both felt the same there. It has nothing to do with the obvious beauty of that kitchen and everything to do with both our use of induction (function which we don't like) and the form which in our opinion is ugly.

That said, anyone who has read my posts in the hot topics forum probably does know I'm in reality a gas (oil fossil fuels) hugger LOL but still, in my opinion induction isn't a form verses function issue at all. If I were buying erika's house, I'd fall in love if the rest of the kitchen is as fab as that pic...but discount the price significantly because we'd have to get rid of that cooktop day one and put in a gas range.

I'll have to boil some water on the range...we have some HUGE burners and I can't imagine having any issue waiting the few seconds more it might take to make hot water LOL

• morton5
    14 years ago

Wow, Igloo, where did you get the impression that Erika doesn't have any feelings? Surely you could have commented on your dislike of induction without a direct attack on her kitchen. Also, must you mentally place a $ value on everything you see?

It only takes a few minutes in the FKB to realize that there are many ways of arriving at a beautiful kitchen whose function will suit the owner. I thought this thread had also already made that point.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Well, of course knowing people think my cooktop is ugly is going to sting a little, but what's most important to me is that I like it and my family likes it and we definitely do.

I've had gas stoves before too, so unlike many people I have personal experience cooking on both. In my opinion, induction has many more advantages over gas than just boiling water a few minutes faster, but I think they've all been covered, so no need to repeat them.

Igloo's comments are relevant because I'm sure when we go to sell our house there will be similar people who love gas and won't have an open mind about induction. I probably would have worded it differently and just said, "I love gas and wouldn't want to buy any house with any sort of smoothtop cooktop" and left out the "horrible" and "ugly." But that's me. Vive la difference, right?

Erika

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Personally, although I wouldn't particularly go out of my way for induction (or gas, for that matter), I love the way your cooktop looks, Erika. Very sleek.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Erika I'm sorry if I offended you, I actually wanted to do just the opposite because I do love your kitchen. Your kitchen is (as I said Morton) fabulous! But (as I also said Morton) to ME (in my opinion) I do thing the darned smooth tops are ugly.

How many times have we seen or said comments that involve an appliance that IN OUR OPINION is ugly? People have often said that they think granite like mine is tacky or terrible or ugly. They have also insulted the style range that I have, and the hood. They've beat up anyone putting in any industrial style piece (ie my stainless countertop)? But I can read that appropriately without getting on a high horse Morton. What they mean is that in THEIR OPINION the thing being discussed is ugly, not me or my kitchen. I repeated in my comments what DH said and what I thought because I was answering the question being asked. Had erika posted her kitchen and said "all done" I'd not have commented on how I feel about her induction cook top, because she does love it, and no one is asking for an opinion on the two options in a "here's my kitchen" thread. Some people thing induction is ugly, some thing big gas ranges are ugly, that's ok. We all have our opinions and without them this forum is a complete waste of time.

I particularly picked out Erika's kitchen for two reasons. One, because it's the best example I could possibly imagine of a kitchen where the form verses function issue would come to play. The form in her kitchen is stunning. The mix of textures for design verses glaring colors is a mix I personally love. Her use of the classic with the modern is beyond wonderful (that clean lined counter with the very traditional cabinets and hood. If her kitchen were half arsed I'd not have mentioned it. Sometimes the most fabulous kitchens are the best examples when pointing out likes and dislikes. Because it's not the kitchen you're disliking, it's an element that is a contentious object verses a design she must hold to her heart. Again Erika, I didn't mean to say your kitchen wasn't beyond fabulous. I saved it for a reason...I'd love to encorporate 99% of what I see in that picture into my victorian kitchen aside from the cooktop :oP Please, if offended, I'm sorry. I meant to do just the opposite.

The second was because it was there :P But had an ugly or half arsed kitchen been in it's place, I wouldn't have commented on it at all.

"Also, must you mentally place a $ value on everything you see?"

I'm sorry you find me so danged offensive Morton. Perhaps putting my name on mental ignore might be a good idea if you're so offended by seeing my thoughts. I've been touring homes for sale for a year now looking for the right one. I learn valuable lessons in doing so (a pretty basic one) and that is that kitchens sell homes. In the form verses function question you also have to ask is form or function more important to resale value unless you plan on living in the home for the rest of your life (and frankly I don't believe in the word "forever home" because I've been a banker too long and know that it's a very very rare thing, even if you think it might not be). When chooising a contentious item for your kitchen you should be able to swallow the cost when you sell. If you can't than you shouldn't add it (ie a deep fryer, wok specific burner, crazy whatever or specific type of cook top). In Erika's case, the countertop would need to be replaced to remove the induction function (because ss is welded into one piece) so her choice is an expensive option to "fix" But to someone who wanted induction only...my choice in her kitchen would also be an expensive "fix" because it would break up the ss countertop so adding a drop in would mean a new counter top.

This is a forum where we discuss kitchens, in all aspects including their saleability. Again I've seen commments like that so many times I can't count them, so it didn't occur to me that it was terribly inappropriate. Options cost money, now and later and that is a consideration in most people's design choices as well as appliance choices.

"It only takes a few minutes in the FKB to realize that there are many ways of arriving at a beautiful kitchen whose function will suit the owner. I thought this thread had also already made that point."

Well DOH really? I've typed the next three lines four times now and can't say what I want to nicely so I'll say nothing at all. Happy now?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I coulda run a gas line and choose to go with induction precisely because I prefer a sleek seamless look. I also admire the chunkiness of a gas cooktop but the sleek lines fit more with my vision of my kitchen. erika... I adore the look of the stainless top and hood with your marble and cooktop.

My adorable Daddy used to say... that's why Baskin and Robbins makes 32 flavors. To each his own. I know I SO enjoy looking at other styles of kitchens that wouldn't work in my home. I find something to admire about almost all of them. I hope to be able to "marry" some old pieces into a informal contemporary space.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

igloo, no hard feelings I promise! You're a plain talker and I much prefer that to a fake person.

I posted fast and forgot to say that you also had lots of really nice things to say about my kitchen in addition to the critique of the cooktop. I did read them and appreciated them.

I also appreciate morton5 worrying that my feelings would be hurt and speaking up.

Still friends. =)

Erika

• ilmbg
    14 years ago

Have you looked at the Wolf Integrated Cooktop? It has 2 induction and 2 gas. This way you would not have to buy 2 different cooktops- it is already made to use both types.
    There are so many kinds of cooking appliances!! I have always wanted gas, but I have asthma- gas is a 'no-no', and like the idea of induction in a warm climate. This might fit the bill for me- I could occasionally use gas, but more frequently use the induction.
    The Wolf is very nice looking.

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

Eeeks! I had never read about the gas/asthma link.

I also use the gas grates as a built in cooling rack for my bread (a silly thing to mention, but I do like this aspect). Of course, it contributes to the mess.

I also like that when the gas burner is off, it is off. My electric one would stay warm forever (or the little light would make me think this). I had also managed to melt plastic a few times on it by turning on the wrong burner (with gas, it is way more noticable - the flames are obvious - ha!)

As for heat, I've started baking bread on my bbq! I also plan on getting a decent power burner for my bbq, which would allow me to take more cooking outside.

• cookie08
    14 years ago

Rangemaster makes a stainless steel contemporary induction range. It's called the Professional + 110 and is 44" with two ovens.

If you live in America, you can have these ranges imported.

http://www.chef-rangecookers.com/aboutus.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Rangemaster Professional 110 Induction Range

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh dear, I had no idea that it was a health issue
    for children and those with breathing concerns.

Erikanh I appreciate the information about asthma.

Boo Hoo, I love my gas range. I am a big chicken when it
    comes to trying something different. Induction for me is
    like texting or twitering to a 80 year old grandma.
    Learning to cook on an induction stove top is a little
    scary for me.

How does it work? Are their magnets?
    New Pots and Pans? Oh no, I love my pasta pot.

My best friend told me before I even bought this I needed
    to get an induction. I did not listen. She is a super cook.
    Needs precise tempertatures and makes amazing meals.
    I am a messy cook. Like a Witch over a cauldron, a little
    of this, that and eye of newt. (Okay no newt) .

Can I be this kind of laid back cook with induction?

I always thought induction was for the real chef.
    I like the old fashioned Duel Fuel Range. This is the way I
    grew up cooking. I wonder if a super vent hood would help
    with keeping air cleaner? Health is a big factor for me. I
    am going to read more on this.

~boxerpus

• erikanh
    14 years ago

boxerpups, so sorry if I frightened you. =(

I certainly didn't mean to cause any alarm to people with gas stoves, but someone had pointed out the concern of people with pacemakers (like my mother) and induction cookers. The discussion reminded me of a little boy in my daughter's old playgroup who had severe asthma. His physician had recommended a whole laundry list of changes in his home environment to help alleviate his breathing problems. The gas stove was only one of many factors.

My husband has mild asthma ... it only bothers him if he has a very bad cold. I don't think the gas stove we had in our old apartment aggravated his symptoms at all.

• morgne
    14 years ago

It's true that gas appliances in the home are being nailed for lowering overall air quality in a home. There have been direct links from the use of natural gas to increased asthma and allergins particularly for those with weakend immune systems (including the elderly).

Beyond that, they are considered prime offenders in cases of chemical sensitivity. MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and SBS (sick building syndrome) have both become more accepted as far as doctors are concerned but also more widespread. 15 years ago they was a joke now they a seriously considered diagnosis by many doctors.

Some links that are pretty straight forward on the subject:

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/summer01gas.html

But others can agree with portions. For instance EPA agrees that gas stoves and appliances has Nitrogen dioxide as an offproduct and they agree that it is known to cause breathing problems in healthy people and increase problems among asthmatics with possible long term exposure issues.

http://www.epa.gov/asthma/no2.html

It's worth noting that many of the same people who belive this (and I do) believe in the possibilities of radiation from Granite and dangers that are not widely accepted or publicized. These ideas are widely accepted outside the US but we are either behind the times or ahead of them.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Hold on! People have been using gas ranges for many, many generations and yet asthma has only been on the rise for the past decade or two. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the idea that gas cooking causes/worsens asthma. My daughter has asthma and multiple allergies. She sees a very highly regarded pulmonary/allergy doctor and it has never once been suggested to us that we get rid of our gas range. Sadly, we had to find a new home for our beloved cats but the gas range was never mentioned. Even my mother's boyfriend, who has severe emphysema, has never been told to give up his gas cooking.

• ludy-2009
    14 years ago

Cheril27 -- I know, I am curious too. I wonder how a gas stove is different from gas heat. In fact, when they came to install the gas for the stove, I had read about the health concerns and asked the plumber how the stove would be any different than the heater we had in the house. He said it was not and he pulled off the heater line for the stove. I'm not saying that it is not different -- I just wonder how it is different. The heater is in the basement --but the fumes are still in the house, no?

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Oh for gads sake, can we add this to the granite arguments? Morgue do you work for an induction distributer? If rocks and gas have been killing us for years...why aren't we all dead? We're surrounded by both constantly.

My son has a weakend immune system (boy with the bubble if that means anything to you). His VERY qualified docs both here an in the lower 48 have yet to tell us to yank out the gas furnace and the range. Funny they haven't caught onto this terrible issue yet...what with being leading physicians in the field...

And I'm sure somewhere I can find a silly study that says induction causes some kinds of electrostatic waves (probably blue or purple because that's sexy) that will eventually give you brain cancer...

Frankly I do have to admit when we have marital relations on the granite counters (we're trying for a baby and figure the radiation might produce two..or a two headed one which would be almost two) DH has noticed an occasional shortness of breath...I thought he was just getting too old to climb up on the counter...maybe not :oP

• morgne
    14 years ago

Igloochic,

I don't in fact work for an induction distributor. I was deliberately non provocative in my post because I know, if I do not understand why, that many people are sensitive to the subject. I DID try to go out of my way to point out that my opinion is not shared by everyone and to include links to sources, such as the EPA that are generally considered credible. I find it dismaying that my remarks were were linked to a "terrible issue" and that I am accused of shilling for some corporation.

Rocks and gas HAVE been killing us for years. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US per the National Cancer Institute. It is associated with "15,000 - 22,000 lung cancer deaths each year". Please see the link to the National Cancer Institute for more information.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancerTopics/factsheet/Risk/radon

One of the reasons that indoor gas appliance use is now affecting asthmatics and allergy sufferers in a way that is showing increasing attention over the years is because houses are now being built to be more energy efficient. In other words, are newly "air tight" homes don't have the air exchange the older homes did so air quality issues in the home are much more prevelant.

Please see this link by the United States Enviromental Protection Agency. It will provide several links to other articles by the same governmental agency explaining that the process of "weather" proofing your home can decrease interior air quality as well and additional mechanical means of bringing in the new air to flush the old affected air should be instally.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/ia-intro.html

It's possible that you can match my links to the Eviromental Protection Agency with some more "silly links" that say induction use will give you cancer. I was never making a statement about induction. I was only speaking about statements our own goverment is making about gas appliances in the home.

As for having sex on the countertops I doubt that would be an issue. But if you were having a good time on the countertop for about a few hours a day (the average time spent standing at that same countertop for prep/cooking/clean up for several meals) then I might be worried.

I am NOT telling you not to buy gas. Nor am I telling you to buy induction. What I am saying is that the phrase "I have asthma and I live in a house with gas so it must be fine" in nonsensical. If you are perfectly well and live in a superinsulated house with gas appliances that would mean something.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh you are too sweet Erikanh,
    First off I am easily sacred. I scare myself. And
    truthfully there are probably far worse things floating
    about my house that may be causing future illness. And I
    am thankful you informed me about the Asthma and Gas
    Ranges.

Now let me tell you why I am so very thankful to you.
    I have a positive twist to this breathing without the
    proper venting situation in my own home. Ooooohhhh I am
    giddy with excitement over my new argument to my DH. You
    might remember I want a Modern Aire hood. Kinda of like
    yours. Yours is beautiful along with your induction cook
    top.

I can not justify spending money on a new induction.
    Especially if I wind up burning our dinners. But I can
    certainly argue that we all need to breath.
    We need to breath!

And what better way to do this than with a beautiful
    custom made elegant Modern Aire hood providing a healthy
    way to live. Do you like my argument? I do.
    I will let you know how it goes.

~boxerpups

• flseadog
    14 years ago

It pains me to say this but AARP has been in constant contact with me for many years. So, understand that these are comments from someone who grew up in Pennsylvania in a house without central heating of any kind. In fact the attic I slept in until I was 5 had no heating at all and my wonderful mother would iron my bed sheets in place before I jumped in to make sure I had a head start on staying warm underneath the homemade quilt.

The downstairs bedrooms and the living room had gas heaters in each room. The kitchen was the warmest room in the house because the gas range was in constant use in both summer and winter for our family of 7 so there was no need for an additional heater there. Our house was built shortly after the civil war and definitely did not meet modern standards for R values of any kind. My mother always joked about how we were lucky the house was so drafty or otherwise all of us would be dead of carbon monoxide poisoning from all the poorly ventilated gas appliances in the house.

All of this is by way of saying that houses today certainly are more airtight but we also pay more attention to proper venting. We live in Florida and all of our windows and doors meet Miami-Dade hurricane standards. My mother would have been correct about the hazards of the old gas heaters in this new house but the new gas appliances are different than the old ones. The only gas appliance I will have in my new house is a Lennox gas fireplace but that thing has its own venting system that the gas company and the township both inspected before we could get a c.o. I'm sure that if you have a proper venting system for your gas range and cooktop you will not be in any more danger from that than I will be from the fireplace.

I'm going to enjoy my new induction technology and I think if you prefer gas there's no reason to be fearful if you've paid attention to proper installation and venting requirements.

• morgne
    14 years ago

Yes, that's it exactly! Proper ventilation is absolutely the key to minimizing any effects. That's why it's dealt with by the building codes so extensively.

I think many people are just fine using gas in their homes. They either have older homes that have a high enough air exchange rate to mitigate the effects or they are upgrading their venting at the same time. Or they may simply have no issue with the exhausted fumes themselves.

I DO believe that proper venting is downplayed as unimportant, or certainly as less important than other remodeling items (as well as in new construction) but new and stricter guidelines are being put in place each year as we find out more of the possible pollutants in these air tight homes.

As far as a safety concern on the choice between induction and gas I think they are probably both equal. There are some possible air issues with gas, there are some possible magnetic issues with induction. There's almost never a right answer, dang it!