Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deardre_gw

Kitchen renovations,help w/layout please

deardre
14 years ago

Hello all!

I hope I've included enough information on my plan and thank you in advance for all suggestions!

My husband and I recently purchased 1973 ranch home with a small u-shaped kitchen.

We are opening a wall between the kitchen and family room.

My wants are; wall oven, gas cook top and island workspace. I do not want the sink nor cook top to be in the island. I want a flat work surface with seating for two.

Currently the wall with the pantry has a 30" cabinet next to it, the wall itself cannot be moved. (I think this area might work well for coffee/tea making, although it's far from the sink.)

The fridge I've inserted is 36", but will actually be less wide.

The house is brick construction, so windows and doors stay as they are.

I'd like to keep the eating area.

Can, or should I have less space between the oven and island?

Of course the big question is, will my layout work?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

it looks like you have a nice LO.

• deardre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just noticed one of the numbers doesn't show.
    I am planning on a 24" double wall oven. (I've had 24" single wall oven in the past so two that size will suit my needs.)

Currently dismantling the kitchen. Removed all the popcorn from the ceiling. Came off fairly quickly and easily. Used a garden pump sprayer to wet it, then putty knife in one hand and a tray in the other to catch the pieces as they fell.
    Previous owners installed 10 recessed lights, wondering if I'll keep them or if it's worth the trouble to remove and patch, patch, patch, etc. :)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

DH did the same with our popcorn. Tedious.

I think the aisle widths you have will work well. We have 42" + around the two working sides of our main island, and it's great so far (haven't gotten to use it to its full extent yet).

The only other thing I can say is... bump (to give the experts a chance to see it).

• User
    14 years ago

It's the space between the fridge and the island that could be a problem. "Regular" depth fridges are around 32"-36" from front to back. Counter depth means just the box is the 24" and you have about 6" of door and handle sticking out. Your layout will be tight around the fridge if you are using a regular depth refrigerator as you are measuring your aisle width from the sink, which isn't the narrowest portion. You need to measure the "pinch point". Also, all full sized fridges will be 36" wide, and you need to plan the kitchen around standardized appliance dimensions, even if you don't plan to use that size. When it comes to replacement or resale, having a fridge spot that will only fit a 33" fridge is a big mistake.

Also there really aren't any choices to speak of in 24" ovens. 30" has become the standard, and you barely can find 27" ones anymore. 24" are virtually nonexistant and if you ever have to replace it, you won't find a match. I would never restrict myself to such non standard choices.

• sclee
    14 years ago

dearde, your LO should work. I have similar dimensions (43" from island to range) and 40" from fridge to island (sticks outs abt 6") like what live wire oak said.

It does look tight in the LO the way you placed the couch and it's proximity to the fridge, but otherwise, it should work. If I were you, I would keep the recessed lights! Good Luck!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Any chance you could move the window? The door on the right wall?

I agree that the refrigerator is too close to the sofa in the FR. I also think you should be careful about how much space is b/w the refrigerator & island...my CD refrigerator is 31" deep once you count the doors & handles. If yours has similar dimensions, that leaves you w/36" b/w the island & refrigerator...a little tight, but livable if you have two doors instead of one.

Yes, keep the recessed lights.

Wall oven...while I do agree with Live_Wire_Oak that you shouldn't be limiting your future choices to 24" ovens, I did do a search and found approx forty 24" double ovens. Of what quality and "features", I don't know.

BTW...you're probably not receiving emails of follow-up postings, even though you checked the box requesting them. This is b/c you don't have the email option turned on in your profile. See the "Read Me" thread for more information. Scroll down to the post with the subject "Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process".

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I am wondering, since you will have a layout that has an island and sofa hovering near each other in close proximity, if this wouldnt be a better kitchen for a peninsula (A U shape kitchen in essence) to open the space while still defining it.

• deardre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I apologize if I post twice, my browser is giving me trouble today.
    Thanks for the suggestion for 27 inch oven. Everything I read said standard is 24, 27 and 30.
    Couch shouldn't be sitting there, I was concentrating on kitchen layout and didn't move it, sorry.

buehl-- House is brick, I'm not moving the window nor door.

palimpest-- Peninsula is an option, I wanted to exhaust island idea first.

• deardre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

buehl--
    wanted to expand on the house brick,
    the window I absolutely don't want to move. The door could possibly be moved as its wall is in the carport and not as noticeable. As I wish to retain the eating area though, I wouldn't want to move it more than 6-10 inches. I would gain important counter and oven space, but don't know if it's really worth the trouble.