Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

GW acting weird?

lisa_a
14 years ago

For the past two nights and again just now, GW has gone blank on me. The past two nights it happened when I scrolled down to read. This time, it happened right after I posted as I was returning to the main forum page. GW freezes up and nothing is visible at all. The only fix I've found is to close the site and try again later. And then, of course, I have to log back in (grrr).

This isn't happening on other sites, only here.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments (14)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Um...maybe. For a long time it's been doing that, mostly at GW, sometimes elsewhere. It seems to be ad-associated, and also a tracking cookie thing. Try running something like Ad-Aware to find pernicious cookies and the like.

Meantime, I find that hitting the back button then the forward button usually resolves it. Have you tried that?

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've hit the back button, the forward button, the refresh button ... same result, blank page, frozen site, no change in the status message at the bottom of the page. Lights are on but nobody's home. ;-) It's weird.

But now that you mention it, I think that two of the three times I noticed that the status message read something like "waiting for (so and so ad)" so perhaps it is one the ad schemes that is hanging things up.

I run Ad-Aware, AVG and another virus scanner. I momentarily added No-Script several weeks ago but it really messed with the formatting of another site I visit regularly so I deleted it.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It just happened again! The moment I tried to scroll down, the page went blank. At the bottom was the message "waiting for as1.suitesmart.com." Refresh didn't help. Hitting the back button sort of worked momentarily - I saw GW - but the minute I started to scroll (doesn't matter whether by mouse or arrows), the page went blank again.

Very, very weird.

• plllog
    14 years ago

It might actually be the AVG not liking the third party call, or the two virus scanners fighting for primacy.

I'm assuming you also tried hitting Stop before Back?

Do you have Ad-Block Plus? That might help. I hate No-Script. You can easily disable ABP from the browser bar if you think it's interfering with a particular site. I've only had to do it for certain videos.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

I am getting that on occasion, too, and it just started in the past 3 days. I close the site, then go back on immediately, and it seems to work. Annoying, though!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tamara (gwtamara) emailed me to say that this glitch should be fixed. It was due to a malfunctioning ad. If anyone still experiences this, please let Tamara know.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I spoke too soon. The glitch is not fixed, at least not for me. I had a minor version of the problem surface twice and then a full blown version occur just now, requiring computer reboot to correct. I emailed Tamara.

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this problem occur again.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

There is an ad with a script file that hangs.

• darbuka
    14 years ago

I've been experiencing the magical blank page, too. Happened again this
    evening...soooooooo Lisa, you're right on. The problem is not fixed!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tamara asked for a screenshot with the ads when the problem occurs. I emailed a reply that the page is completely blank so not sure if that will help. Anyhoo, if this happens to you today and you can capture a screenshot, send it to Tamara.Amey@nbcuni.com.

I'm heading out the door and since the problem may not occur while I'm online, I thought I'd recruit help.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

This has been happening to me sporadically for that last 3 days.

• adh673
    14 years ago

can you also mentioned that search barely works at all?

• shanghaimom
    14 years ago

exact same for me. says "waiting for suitesmart..." and I have to reboot to get rid of it.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Some threads don't load at all, then others load, but disappear when I try to scroll down. Sometimes I go up to the address bar, put the cursor at the end and hit return to refresh or reload the page and it helps. Are they ever going to update this site except to increase the number and types of ads? I know we get this for free, but yikes.