Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlr98004

island overhang without corbels or legs

dlr98004
14 years ago

Hi - we are getting ready to order our kitchen island cabinets and I want to be sure I have the support necessary for our planned overhang. Our island layout is pretty simple: 27" drawer + 18" sink + 27" drawer. Total working space = 72". Overhang will be 15" - but with a curve. Middle of curve will be about 18" and sides will be 15" (not sure of that though). We plan to have 3 stools at the island. All soapstone/granite at countertop height.

We want to do the island without any legs or corbels. What planning do I need to do to ensure the support necessary? One fabricator said to use 3-4 steel bars under the granite and allow 1/4" at top of wainscoting to chanel out for the bars. (Not to thrilled that those bars would show from underneath). Another said build a pony wall to secure island cabinets and then use steel L brackets to support the overhang. Seems like there are several options - what is best?

The great link about stone checklist does not mention overhang without corbels or legs.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Comments (17)

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Mine is in process right now. I will try to get pictures posted later. I will have an 18" overhang without corbels or legs.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of what we're doing. It is one inch square tubing-cold rolled steel. It is very strong. There will be 5 (I think) across the island that is 81 inches. Hope this helps.

• dlr98004
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks! Can you possibly take another picture showing the bars from the end of the island? How are your island cabinets secured to the floor? Normally secured into a 2x4 - did they do anything differently?

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Is this the picture you wanted? Only one of the bars in done right now. The island cabinets are not secured differently as far as I know. I can find out and get back to you. We are planning on capping the ends of the bars.

• dlr98004
    Original Author
    14 years ago

perfect image! Did your granite fabricator supply the steel? How are they secured to the cabinets?
    Thanks again!

• hgluckman
    14 years ago

Our extension is part of a raised bar top. Our GC had three steel bars - 1 flat and 2 that are "Z" shaped. Here's the best picture that I've found of the supports. The two lower ones in the picture extend back 33 inches across the cabinet. That's a temporary countertop that you see covering them:

From Kitchen Remodel

Here's a picture of it finished from a different angle - sorry I don't have one underneath right now

From Kitchen Remodel

I can tell you that the support bars are more visible than we would have liked. We're hoping that the bar stools we're getting will hide them. If not, we've talked about having some sort of black metal box built to cover them.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

We used the freedom bracket in the 10" size. They were very easy to install(DH did it himself) and I can't see them at all under the counter.

Also take a look at this post from Holligator(about halfway down the page)
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0420535421910.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Freedom Bracket

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

dianelouise - my son (also my contractor) got the steel from a local place, but is working with the fabricators to make sure they are ok with how things are done. The steel will be secured with a type of glue that adheres to wood, steel, etc. I can find out tomorrow if you need to know the name.

• nkkp
    14 years ago

We ordered the chemical concepts brackets called 'island balance'. They also make one called counter balance. Small and easy to install yet hold like 500 lbs each. I called the company and ordered them directly - they arrived a few days later.

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

If it were me, I would secure those steel bars to the cabinets with long screws. I would then secure the cabinets to the floor joists with angle brackets and long screws. The stone should be secured to the steel bars with epoxy.

Diane: you didn't say how much of the stone will be over the cabinets. 24"? So that would be 24" + 18" of overhang?

When the amount of overhang is less than 1/2 the total width, you have few mounting problems.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

dianelouise - just so you know my situation, my island is 54 x 81, so 36 in. of the granite has cabinets underneath with 18 in. overhang.

• PoorOwner
    14 years ago

I also vote on some kind of mechanical attachment between steel bar and cabinets (L bracket welded in correct spot would be best), When I needed to make support like this. I make the bar sit just a hair lower, a bead of epoxy (or whatever the countertop guys) use will take up the void and trasfer the load.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Just an update--the support system will actually be more beefed up than I originally stated. It is being worked on right now. I'll try to get pictures and explanations up later.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

For those not wanting corbels or legs...be very careful as plywood by itself is not sufficient support...you need additional support.

First, there's the "6 & 10 Rule":
    If your slab is 2 cm, you can have up to a 6" overhang without support.
    If your slab is 3 cm you can have up to a 10" overhang without support

Anything over these numbers needs to be supported. For example, with 3cm granite, if you have a 15" overhang you will need 5" corbels or other support so no more than 10" is unsupported.

If you don't want corbels or legs, consider the "CounterBalance" system instead.

See the following threads for more information on the above (and more!):

Thread: Stone Information and Advice (& Checklists)

Thread: Kevin - 'remember the 6 & 10 rule' [talks about the CounterBalance system, among others]

Thread: granite fabrication questions..what do you think! [also talks about the CounterBalance system, among others]

• momof3kids_pa
    14 years ago

I have 5 of these brackets (from home depot) supporting ou 12" soapstone overhang....

{{!gwi}}

• jb1176
    14 years ago

Google "Chemical Concepts Counter Balance Support" and see if this is something that might work. Here's a review from Stoneworld.

http://www.stoneworld.com/Articles/Products/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000300459