Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Please recommend a decent vent hood

shelly_k
14 years ago

X-posted in Appliance Forum

I am looking for a stainless wall mount hood that will not be under a cabinet (duct will show in a transitional contempory kitchen). This is new construction. Here are my criteria:

*Nice looking chimney style hood

*Decently quiet

*Good under-hood lighting

I looked at the Kobe hoods which fit my first two criteria, but the lighting appears to be poor (2-20W halogens).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I loved the Kobe quietness!

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I'm redoing my second kitchen and put this in my second after loving it in my first.
    Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Futuro Hoods

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lisaslists -- can you tell me which hood you have? Your link just took me to the main page and there are a ton to choose from? Is it quiet? Adequate cooktop lighting? Thanks!

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

Yes. Quiet. I have an island hood. You want a wall one, right? Check out the sones. It is quieter than most, even maybe the kobe. 4 halogen lights which is plenty for me. The site isn't that confusing once you get into it. Just choose wall, then go to the size you want and select various models to see details. I do see that the wall one of PLANE - my model - only has 2 lights. Maybe that's standard for wall ones?
    Lisa

• susantiger
    14 years ago

On the question of vent hoods, exactly where do you go to see/hear these beasts? We need to get a 36" SS wall mount, but I have to find something to fit a budget. So where do you find something reasonable? Online and pray? I went to the big box down the street, and they don't even have one in their showroom. Any help would be appreciated! Thankyou!

• kleekai
    14 years ago

I couldn't find a place to view vent hoods - except the Miele showroom if you wanted a Miele. When I called Futuro to see where I could view them, the gentleman said only in NY where they are located. So, I will be ordering blind from Futuro based on their statistics and what people have said about them here.

• mls99
    14 years ago

I have a Kobe with 2 halogens, and they're fine: bright, clean. It's worked well for me. I have a 30" cooktop.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

I have a Bosch 36" Chimney wall hood and while it only has 2 lights it seems very bright to me. In fact many nights we just use the hood light in the hood as mood lighting vs turning on the undercab lights. We looked at a Zephr hood and almost went for it for the 4 lights, but it was quite a bit more $$. Glad we saved the cash as 2 lights really are enough for us.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Just adding to what theanimala and others have said, we have a 36" Best hood (over a 30" range) with two 20 watt halogens: the lighting is great. Being able to see what one is cooking, really does help!

• caryscott
    14 years ago

I have heard a couple of good things on GW about Ancona. In our market (Canada) they are pretty affordable and can be ordered on-line from Costco.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

fyi: I just reread the specs sheet on the Broan Allure III I'm buying. If I am reading it correctly, there's a non-hallogen option. Maybe other mfgs also?

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I have a Zephyr Savona Chimney Hood. It's 30" but also comes in 36". The halogen lights are very bright and it's fairly quiet.
    {{gwi:1571213}}
    {{gwi:1596302}}

• mondragon
    14 years ago

I have the 42" Kobe CH179 over a 36" rangetop, the three halogens are more than bright enough.

• texaskitchentoo
    14 years ago

florantha,

As long as the voltage and wattage are compatible, you can substitute Xenon bulbs for the halogen. The base of the bulb needs to match. Xenon bulbs burn with less heat and you can handle them with your hands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Xenon Bulbs

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Texas kitchen, thanks for that link - it's a great site. They have LED retrofit bulbs for mr-16 lights, which is what my hood uses.

• chinchette
    14 years ago

Zephyr Milano for me. Its pretty quiet on the lower settings. The lower setting are adequate for mostly everything I do. I turn it up high on occasion it I'm making bacon or something really greasy. The high settings aren't bad either.

• chinchette
    14 years ago

Zephyr Milano for me. Its pretty quiet on the lower settings. The lower setting are adequate for mostly everything I do. I turn it up high on occasion it I'm making bacon or something really greasy. The high settings aren't bad either.

• guajardo
    14 years ago

Speaking about lights, I found something that surprised me VERY much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Futuro Luxor Range Hood