Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbsohio

Storage of spices if no pull-out/spice drawer?

rbsohio
14 years ago

Where do you store your spices, if you do not have a pull-out or spice drawer?? Thanks!

Comments (31)

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

I use one of those revolving trays (well, several of them actually) on shelves in the wall cabinet closest to the stove. I want them at eye level, not have to bend down to see what I want.

• iceqween13
    14 years ago

I have mine in little pull out long plastic baskets (wide enough for each jar) in the upper cabinet to the left of my cooktop. I just slide each one out quick-like.

To the right are my baking stuffs!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I use a wall rack. Check out the site below for many, many ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spice Racks

• rbsohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas. That's a great site, warmfridge--I just may have to shop some more:)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I've been trying to figure this out myself as we prepare to start our remodel. I have a plan to mount an old wooden shelf above the stove and will also have an open shelf upper to the right of the stove. Right now the plan is to have pretty baskets for the spices that sit either on the open shelves or on the shelf directly above the stove. I would probably divide them according to how I use them -- baking spices, savory spices, herbs most used, less-used herbs and spices, etc. Still figuring it out but that is one idea I've thrown around.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I have a spice draw but I recently purchased a gift for a friend who just finished her kitchen and I got her this:

It has a very small footprint and she has it in her cabinet next to the stove. When she takes it out she has her entire selection of herbs and spices at her fingertips

Here is a link that might be useful: TEST TUBE SPICE RACKS

• merimom
    14 years ago

I have one of these expandable spice racks in the 24-inch upper cabinet next to my range. Works ok...Sometimes I have to move bottles around a little to find what I'm looking for but it hasn't been a problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: I bought this one from Bed Bath & Beyond

• roobear
    14 years ago

I bought one of those inexpensive Rubbermaid wire spice racks that mounts to the inside of the cabinet and that you can just pull down and out of the cabinet for easy access. It's a quick fix till we remodel the kitchen but it's actually been really nice and I may consider just using it in the new kitchen instead of building something custom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubbermaid Spice Rack

• judydel
    14 years ago

We have ours in a cabinet that is 24" wide x 7" deep at the end of our island across from the range.

Still waiting on the third shelf. We received the pins in the mail yesterday though!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I currently have one like merimom but with wire material like roobear's. As merimom said, it works OK, does its job in the upper cabinet, but I am frequently knocking bottles over that are in front of or around the ones I'm trying to get to. I look forward to having them in a less sensitive arrangement.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I have two racks like merimom in the wall cabinet to the right of my range. They work okay for me although I also knock some bottles over to get to the ones in the back row.

• johnorange
    14 years ago

This is just my impression and I haven't checked temperatures but doesn't storing spices close to heated areas reduce thier shelf-life? I have seen a few pull-out drawers right next to the oven where it HAS to get heated frequently. I'm going to be doing kitchen cabinets soon so I'm interested in feedback.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

I remember hearing or reading the same thing about shelf life and spices as johnorange. Yesterday, I was with my friend who is a pastry chef and she told me to make sure to store them in a dark cool place. So I need to research but any GW's know the ideal conditions to store spices? Does it vary by spice? This information might help decision making concerning spice storage.

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

my cabinets are in production right now, so nothing to show but the drawing. spices are in an open wall cabinet on the right hand side ...all the way in the corner.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I use a shallow drawer. It's tall enough for 99% of the spice bottles to fit in standing upright. I got a pack of circular labels and a skinny Sharpie marker and I just label them on top. It looks nice (even with varied manufacturer's bottles, the top labels are all the same, and the 18" wide drawer is big enough for my extensive spice collection. i did try to keep them alphebetized at first but I gave up after a while :)

• barbse
    14 years ago

My spices are really handy in an open shelf between the stove & range. I got little tins on the internet (80 cents each) and spent a lot of time with my label maker.
    {{!gwi}}

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

I was thinking of putting them in a shelf in the upper cabinet doors to the left and right of the stove. I had seen a display like this and thought it would work well. I have a lot of spices so would probably need to use 2 cabinets. Hadn't thought about the heat of the stove though. Does this make sense?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Very, very cool solution, Barbse! I really love that.

• rbsohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbse--your spice area is fabulous! Is your kitchen in the fkb? I would love to see more pics. And thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. Robin

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

A normal jar of basil broke my glass cooktop!!! I was digging through the shelf looking for something and it dropped onto the edge of the stove. It started as a small crack on the edge, but spread quickly across the entire top once I tried to use it (the heat made it expand). So, for all of you storing your spices next to the cooktop, beware. Replacement isn't cheap.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Oh, wow, Barbse, that's awesome! You have me racking my brain to see if I can do that anywhere within reach of the stove.

Thanks for the heads-up (literally) Miss Muffet!

• barbse
    14 years ago

Robin - I had posted pics here when we finished the kitchen, but it was one of those posts lost forever in Dec. I'll make it my weekend project to put it in the fkb.
    Thx for the compliments - I LOVE my spice shelf!

• jeri
    14 years ago

Barbse  I too love your solution and saved a copy for future inspiration!

MissMuffet  Thanks for the warning  it is good to learn from others experiences. :-)

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

but I don't...

here's an easy pic as I jsut took this picture for painting backsplash ideas and the cabinets are off because I was staining....

here's my spices...

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Mine are in a shallow drawer in jars from The Container Store.

• judydel
    14 years ago

Barb where did you find those cool spice tins? What are they made of? TIA

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Double layer carousels about 10 inches in diameter in a cabinet.

There are two in there, with some room between them behind the face frame for a few larger bottles.

• barbse
    14 years ago

Judy - Specialtybottle.com, they're 4 oz. tin, I stack 2 on a shelf. The spice rack is 4 ft. tall, 23 3/4'' wide and 3 3/4'' deep and it's about 18'' away from the burner.

• Maria410
    14 years ago

I use the small carousels on cabinet shelves as well. Two for spices and one for vinegars and sauces. Even DH can find stuff!!

• datura-07
    14 years ago

loves2cook- I love the test tube rack. Since it was a gift I suppose it is hard to ask her how she likes it. What a great gift! WILL you be my friend?????

My only concern would be putting it down and having it roll away.