Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanenk

Pricing on new Carrier heat pump

vanenk
14 years ago

Hey everybody,

Really love the site! Between here and another forum, I've gotten a very good education on HVAC/home energy savings. The other forum is more for professionals, and they don't allow pricing, so I've come over here to get add'l input.

Recv'd 2 proposals (waiting on #3) for replacement of 5 ton heat pump unit. All 3 reps were impressed with ductwork design/integrity, no add'l work other than standard to connect return air to unit. Quotes for Trane and Carrier equip. I was leaning toward Trane, but one Trane rep didn't want to quote the XL14/15, said the 13 series was just as efficient in 2 stage for the same price(?). I am waiting on the other Trane rep who is going to quote the XL15, I'll be able to compare to this guy. The Carrier rep offered 2 systems, as follows:

#1 Infinity

HP- 25HNA660A003

AH- FE4ANB006

60000 11.10 15.30 57500 9.00 34200 (this is based on the A32 HP and +UI AH, see below for question regarding- ratings are same regardless)

20kW staged heat strips

2 stage recip compressor

This would include the Infinity control system thermostat

Includes 10C/10P/10L warranty + 1 yr service agreement

***Total cost including $1000 rebate- $8633.53***

#2 Performance

HP-25HPA560A003

AH- FV4BNB006

59500 11.5 14 59000 8.3 36000 (again, HP is A32)

20kW staged heat strips

Single stage scroll compressor- variable blower

Includes 10C/10P/5L warranty + 1 yr service agreement

***Total cost including $400 rebate- $8390.76***

Trane guy was $11629.36+tax(NO KIDDING?) for an XL16 system, warranty was slightly less, didn't provide model #s, and I was kinda sticker shocked, decided to wait for the other Trane guy's quote. Sorry, at this point, I don't see the price justification

Right now, I'm liking the Carrier Infinity system, which seems to be well respected.

These include new thermostat, refrigerant lines, filter dryer, power whip, primary float switch cutoff, drain pan/float switch, and whatever sheet metal to transition to the plenum as needed. In other words, turn key package.

Please give your thoughts on the proposals, as well as pricing. I live about 40 mins north of the Little Rock, AR area. I don't have a breakdown of labor/equipment, but so far all involved have indicated minimal labor/rework to install. I will be contacting the Carrier rep to ask about the new rating on their 5 ton unit that would qualify for the fed tax credit.

All input is appreciated!

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

vaneck

Trane is clearly losing its competitiveness both in pricing and performance/eff numbers particularly in the larger size condensers both AC and HP. I would not have the XL16i period.

I would not want to leave the fed govt tax credit lying on the table. Carrier has recently introduced their Performance 16 HP model and it has two configurations that qualify for the tax credit. see below.

3496081 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 16 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA660A30 FE4ANB006+UI 56500 12.60 16.00 59000 9.50 36600 1

3496011 Active Systems PERFORMANCE 16 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HPA660A30 FV4CNB006 56500 12.60 16.00 59000 9.50 36600

the only negative I see is they are a little light in cooling BTUs, excellent though on heating BTUs and efficiency.

one other thought. based on the size of your heat strip, you must live in a climate that has cold winters. you do want your heat strip staged based on demand required.

IMO

• vanenk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tigerdunes,

Thanks for the input. A couple of follow-ups:

My understanding is the Performance series HP is single stage scroll compressors. The first set you listed can be paired with an Infinity airhandler, correct? But it would still be a single stage scroll, rather than 2-stage recip. In your opinion, which system would be the better choice, based on what price differential. With only $400 diff in pricing I was quoted, and an upgrade from single to two stage comp and Infinity control unit, I'm trying to determine which has most bang for buck.

As far as our winters go, we have about 3500 heating degree days here. The rep told me these are staged strips, come on in increments of 5kW as needed.

I would appreciate any light you can shed on the pricing I've listed.

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

VANECK

I would prefer either of the two configurations I listed over the two you listed. I would assume either would be no more than your quotes. with the tax credit, that's the best bang for the buck.

IMO