Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glacierdave

Xtrordinair FPX 44 Elite wood burning

glacierdave
14 years ago

My wife and I just looked at the 44" wood burning model today, and we're thinking of having it put in this Summer once we get the money together. I've known the owner of the shop who we're thinking of getting it through, and he swears by it, saying that it's the best of the best, and will heat our entire house, hands down. My concern, however, is that I've read mixed reviews...I suppose that's always the case with nearly anything these days, even the almighty apple products are mixed...but that doesn't make me feel better when getting ready to throw down 6k on this fireplace.

So, wanting to get some feedback. The greatest consistent pro I've been hearing is that the heat output from this thing is crazy great. Is that true?

Consistent con is that there is a cold draft coming in through the vent, yikes, is that true??

Comments (7)

• sniffdog
    13 years ago

I have one of these and the heat output is great. I use this beast mostly as a backup heat source when I lose power and my geothermal system can't run. With this single unit I can keep a over 4000 sq ft of my house at a 65 degree temp when it is zero outside - and that is without fully loading the unit with wood. This thing can throw so many BTU's that I don't have to run the 2 other fireplaces (which are propane burners)that I put in to serve as backup heaters too.

I have the XPS on a small backup generator to run the blower fan - which I found was a must to move the heat away from the fireplace and distribute it around the house (I also use 2 vornado fans to help with air movement as well).

I also bought a portable whole house humidifer that i run when I am running the fireplace for an extended period of time as a backup heater. I found that the hot air blowing from the fireplace is very dry and the portable hunidifier really helps keep the moisture level comfortable.

I haven't noticed any issues with drafts but that could be because I have my unit installed at the back of the house away from any blowing winds. I guess I could see that being an issue if the vent was installed facing the wind.

If you get one of these, make sure that the directions for install and operation are followed precisely. Read and study the manuals yourself and watch the installers - this is not a simple fireplace insert.

• jackgambler
    7 years ago

Have the elite 44 and happy with the way it heats. It is set on inside walls and cold vents in attic, no cold drafts. Problem with fan going on and off approx. every 30 seconds. Anyone else have this problem?

• Joe Davis
    7 years ago

Those heat perfect, its an investment but well worth it i got my Fireplace & Heater Repair by Pacific Coast Heating and Air

• fredrn
    7 years ago

Wanted to respond to jackgambler......have the same unit....only four weeks of use....doing the same thing, going off and on every 30 seconds. Comments appreciated.

• petervbalasky
    7 years ago

I have used the elite for 5 years no problems with cycling of the blower by making sure the heat is concentrated in the lower right corner where the thermostat is located. mine will continue to run for 20 minutes with only the coals left.

• Vince Lee
    3 years ago

For those that are having issues with the 44 elite's fan turn on and off, you need to always start your fire on the right side of the fire box. The thermostat that controls the fan is located on the right side wall of the fireplace (facing the fireplace).