Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johneh

New Furnace/AC system quote and questions

johneh
14 years ago

Thank you to all of the experts who frequent this forum. I have lurked for some time and learned a lot but now finally have questions of my own:

Background - 3 floor single family home in VA, well insulated, AC and humidity control is more important that heating cost for me. Furnace room is located in basement which is fully finished.

We plan on moving in 3 years or so and will be replacing a 2.5 and a 3.0 ton matched system. Goal is good efficiency and humidity control operating for next 3 years and to leave next owner with a solid but not top of the line system. I must achieve the 16 SEER 13 EER for both federal tax credits and a Virginia State Grant of 20% of installed cost. I do not want to do new exhaust, so I will go with an 80% furnace solution. I want 2 stage heat and a variable speed blower. We run the blower 100% of the time, for air quality and to even out the temps in the house.

My Carrier guy (small company 40 years experience, worked for lots of my friends and neighbors over the year (and me for about 2 years) has proposed:

58CVA070-1-12 80% 2 stage gas furnace

24ACC630A**30 Comfort Series Puron A/C

C36A142C536 coil

Programmable digital thermostat (no model specified - he told me it could also regulate humidity)

New poly pad and electrical disconnect.

All duct transitions included, [including new 'filter rack'(?)]

Permits included as required.

Warranty 10 year parts, 20 year heat exchanger, no mention of coil (!!!), 1 year labor

Cost $5885 [This is 2.5 ton. He is working up a separate price for the 3 ton because I just requested that] FYI We are in the DC suburbs, so stuff costs more here than in many places.

I currently have AprilAire humidifiers on the supply duct and have bad allergies, so I now have a washable high efficiency filter for the return air to each unit.

Questions:

Will the quoted equipment meet my needs?

Should I request a heat pump model instead?

Which thermostat/humidistat should I request? Infinity Honewell IAQ?

Do I need new line sets? They could be pulled through the chase, but the basement is finished. [Existing R22 system is 13 years old]

Is there a warranty or other benefit in asking for a Carrier coil, such as the CNPVP?

Recognizing that I do not want to break the bank, because I am leaving in 3 years, should I ask for any different carrier model AC equipment than quoted?

Side issues:

Is there an efficiency or operating benefit by asking for:

an air filtration cabinet?

An integrated humidifier?

low voltage circuit protection?

EZ-trap condensate safety system?

Should I bother with teh extra $$ for a 2 stage AC?

Also, the Trane guy will be here Monday to quote us. He put in a XV80 and XL15i next door and will likely quote that or a XL16i. Anything I should ask for there, knowing the above? Any advice on which Trane system to request or which model alternatives to ask them to quote?

I thank anyone patient enough to read this for their advice! If I forgot to ask something important, please chime in.

John

Comments (9)

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

John

what size home? what size area will this system cover?

a couple of things bother me about your proposal.

1.has dealer provided you an AHRI matching number that confirms qualification for tax credit?

2.is evap coil quoted a Carrier coil or a third party coil? if third party, I would not have it. You want the correct matching tin plated Carrier coil.

3. for your area/climate, an 80% eff furnace paired with a straight AC condenser is a dinosaur. consider a good matching heat pump condenser.

4.The Infinity 80% eff furnace is good equipment. But you would be making a mistake not to correctly pair with the Infinity controller.

5.Yes, you should insist on a new and properly sized refrigerant lineset.

6.what kind of filter rack? for a 1" filter? if so, do it right and install a good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet. these filters last up to one yr before changeout.

stay away from trane's XL16i. XV80 with XL15i or XR15 heat pump would be fine but might be problematic qualifying for tax credit.

IMO

• johneh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tigerdunes
    Thank you very much for your response. I know from reviewing this site that you offer much valuable help to posters!
    I am replacing existing 2.5 and 3.0 ton units. The house is about 4500 sq. ft. and those always did the job.
    The coil is 3rd party. I will request a Carrier coil and new linesets.
    The furnace is a 2 stage Comfort Series with variable speed blower, not Infinity. I want a controller that can slow down the blower in order to dehumidify in the cooling season. We run the blower year-round. I am unsure whether the A/C and furnace need to talk to each other beyond that and am unsure in the Infinity controller can do what I want (with the Comfort Series furnace). I have read a lot about the Honeywell IAQ. Will that work with my system to get what I want?
    If a heat pump condenser is good for the MidAtlantic climate, then I will ask for one. I will also ask for pricing on a media cabinet.
    Thanks for the advice on Trane! I will post back what the Trane guy says, as well as any modifications from the Carrier guy. [He is very old school - maybe a dinosaur, too!]
    John

• johneh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am sorry - I misspoke.
    The furnace is Infinity and the AC is Comfort series!

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

john

you are correct about the Infinity 80 furnace mdl.

I don't mean to be so opinionated but again an Infinity furnace whether 95% eff or 80% eff without the matching Infinity controller is simply a mistake. work with the dealer on the pricing. ask dealer for AHRI Directory matching number to verify you qualify for the tax credit on the condenser side of the system.

IMO

• johneh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your opinion is valuable and appreciated. I will ask Carrier for the following changes:
    Infinity thermostat/humidistat
    Heat pump condensor
    provide ARHI number
    provide tin plated copper Carrier coil
    THANKS!

• mbwaldrop
    14 years ago

We have allergies as well and have a Space Guard filter (Aprilaire) system in our house which has been one of the best things in our house. We are getting ready to build and have already requested that the space guard be placed on both the upstairs and downstairs units. Some something to consider.

• johneh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here they are. one 3 ton and one 2.5 ton.

Carrier ARHI 3656405
    58CVA909-16 80% Infinity 2 stage gas furnace
    CNPVP3717ATA tin plated copper coil
    24ACC636A003 3 ton Comfort series A/C
    TP-PAC EDGE Programmable Thermostat
    Cost $6380

58CVA070-12 80% Infinity 2 stage Gas furnace
    CNPVP3014ATA tin plated copper coil
    24ACC630A003 2.5 ton Comfort series A/C
    Cost $6380

Both Carrier systems come with Perfomance series media cabinet.

Trane:
    15i A/C systems and XV80 furnaces
    3233365 Active Coil (Mix-Match) ASPEN TRANE 4TTX5030A1 ASPEN MANUFACTURING C(A,C,D,E)30D44+TDR *UD060R9V3 30000 13.10 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 216 Yes
    Cost = $5825
    3233463 Active Coil (Mix-Match) ASPEN TRANE 4TTX5036A1 ASPEN MANUFACTURING C(A,C,D,E)36D44+TDR *UD100R9V5 36000 13.30 16.50 1 RCU-A-CB 251 Yes
    Cost = $6023
    Tcon802 thermostats

Aprilaire 4200 series SPaceguard media cabinets 2 at $225 each

Both say I have super air flow and neither will change the line sets. They are in 'great shape' and run through finished space. WIll clean, flush, etc. Incl is new electric disconnect and poly pad for each system.

The above costs are the prices I pay the contractor. I also get a federal tax credit of $1500 plus a Va. state grant of $2000.What tips the scales in favor of one over the other?

• johneh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Correction - the carrier costs are $6380 and $5885, all in. The Carrier media cabient is the EZ Flex Performance one (likely good enough, as we are moving in 3 years and not gold-plating this set-up).

• johneh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here they are. one 3 ton and one 2.5 ton.
    Carrier ARHI 3656405
    58CVA909-16 80% Infinity 2 stage gas furnace
    CNPVP3717ATA tin plated copper coil
    24ACC636A003 3 ton Comfort series A/C
    Cost $6380

58CVA070-12 80% Infinity 2 stage Gas furnace
    CNPVP3014ATA tin plated copper coil
    24ACC630A003 2.5 ton Comfort series A/C
    Cost $5885

Both Carrier systems come with Perfomance series media cabinet.

Trane:
    15i A/C systems and XV80 furnaces
    3233365 Active Coil (Mix-Match) ASPEN TRANE 4TTX5030A1 ASPEN MANUFACTURING C(A,C,D,E)30D44+TDR *UD060R9V3 30000 13.10 16.00 1 RCU-A-CB 216 Yes
    Cost = $5825
    3233463 Active Coil (Mix-Match) ASPEN TRANE 4TTX5036A1 ASPEN MANUFACTURING C(A,C,D,E)36D44+TDR *UD100R9V5 36000 13.30 16.50 1 RCU-A-CB 251 Yes
    Cost = $6023
    Tcon802 thermostats

Aprilaire 4200 series SPaceguard media cabinets 2 at $225 each

Both say I have super air flow and neither will change the line sets. They are in 'great shape' and run through finished space. Will clean, flush, etc. Incl is new electric disconnect and poly pad for each system.

The above costs are the prices I pay the contractor. The are withing $50 in total, once I include the filter media. I also get a federal tax credit of $1500 plus a Va. state grant of $2000. What tips the scales in favor of one over the other?