Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windrunner

harman p38 - stopped

windrunner
18 years ago

purchased unit last 0ct0ber...

working fine till it stopped without warning this afternoon...

did the obvious: checked outlet; turned feed control off and to full (turbo mode), blower fan isn't working either...

just before checking fuse, the burn pot was cleaned; outlet slash exhaust checked as was the air intake checked...

unscrewed control plate on side of unit to gain access to electrical board to inspect fuse....

fuse looked fine as filament within the cylinder was not broken...

at a loss...

any input would be appreciated...

thanks in advance...

windr

Comments (8)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

I can't remember if there is a reset button or not. If there is, press it. In the meantime, get out your manual and call your dealer.

• windrunner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi xanndra,

i was hoping you would reply...

already spoke with the dealer, but because i am a canadian and the unit was purchased in the states they will not send a service person to look at it....

in the meantime, i am looking for the manual...

will phone dealer again in the morning and rather than talk to a salesperson, i will talk to a technician...

what i find strange is that both blower and auger shut down...

that's what got me thinking of a fuse, reset button seems logical...

are there any sensors that would shut both down...

again, thanks...

windr

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

I may be dreaming, but look underneath the stove near the back. There should be a red reset button. Maybe its another brand, but I'm sure its Harman.

The owner's manual can be found online. I have provided a link for you. I did not read the whole thing, but I did read the troubleshooting section. It didn't address your situation. Schematics are included in the manual and it sounds electrical to me. However, your electronics are covered for another 2 years under the warranty so you shouldn't be doing anything that the factory didn't tell you personally to do to the unit otherwise you will void the warranty.

Did you contact the dealer that you purchased it from? If so, that dealer was supposed to have contacted the factory. Read the last page of the manual. It outlines the warranty procedure. It does not state that the purchasing dealer is to make the repairs. It just states that the purchasing dealer is to be contacted first, then that dealer contacts the factory to get its approval to get it fixed. It seems reasonable to me that the factory would contact your nearest dealer to fix it. The warranty DOES NOT state that the original dealer is the only one that can fix it. Actually, it explicitly states that your warranty is with the factory, not the dealer. So don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I was a paralegal for 2 years and I will tell you that if Harman tells you that only the purchasing dealer can make the repairs, then it wouldn't hold up in court should it go that far.

Wish I could be more help but I don't have a unit in front of me to look at.

Here is a link that might be useful: P38 manual

• tsco29
    18 years ago

There is a pressure switch located in the unit. Remember Xanndra, if the combustion blower isn't working properly then the feed motor will not work. Same with the pressure switch.

There is not a re-set button on the P38+, you will need to turn the unit to the off position and unplug the unit for about 30 seconds to re-set the circuit board. see if this works.

As for warranty work, any authorized dealer can do the work. However, the selling dealer sign a agreement with Harman that states that the selling dealer must service what they sell, so keep that in mind also.

• windrunner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

with regards to warranty, the salesperson contacted harman and they are willingly to foot the bill for parts and labour even though the closest dealer to me in ontario is 4 hours away...

from that stand point you gotta give harman full marks...

rather than take that route we decided to trouble shoot with step by step over the phone instructions provided by selling dealer....

the jury is still out but i think we are looking at a faulty circuit board...

board is receiving power and has power leaving board on route to combustion blower; however there is no power at the blower itself...

in order to eliminate a faulty blower, i ran a direct power line to the motor and viola it works...

by the way, once the feed line from the circuit board was disconnected at the motor voltage meter showed power...

thinking is that there must be a faulty relay within the circuit board that is cancelling out the motor...

bypassing the circuit board with direct power only confirms that blower works but that's all because there is no power going to the auger motor...

that in mind, i then put power through the circuit board (with leads disconnected to the blower motor as it was alreading receiving power from alternate source) thinking here was power through the remaining ciruits would run the auger...no such luck...

need to talk to technician first thing in the morning....

given the above, i am open to suggestions...

windr

• windrunner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

update:

make a long story short, after circuit board was replaced it started to blow a fuse...

at this point, i decided enough is enough and yanked the unit out , loaded onto truck and returned it to dealer on american side...

received a call a couple of days later informing me that stove was fixed and the new circuit board was faulty...

so far so good...

phoned the next day to arrange pickup and that's when i got a whole different story....

essentially they wanted me to pay for the circuit board and two hours labour because they said i had crossed the wires (ground hooked up to white)...

this i took as an insult to my intelligence and power of observation because i numbered each wire (1 thru 12), drew a schematic and did a double check...

furthermore, visually it would have been obvious even to the novice if the green wire was out of place because of patterning (all four green wires lined up on right side of board....

after standing my ground owner relented and he asked that he be paid for one hour labour (69.00$USD) to cover costs of cleaning...

should i walk away satisfied or should i bring this to the attention of the harman district sales rep and/or head office...

at any rate, thanks for allowing me to rant...

cheers,
    windr

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

I would let Harman know that you think you are being had.

• tsco29
    18 years ago

Make sure you find out if they also replaced the ESP Probe as well as the circuit board. Harman recommends to replace both due to power going through the ESP probe before going through the board. If they didn't I wouldn't be suprised if something happens to the new board that they put in if the defect was located in the ESP probe rather then the board itself.
    xanndra - keep in mind that many dealers now a-days are charging extra for their services over and beyond of what Harman will pay for labor. Unfortunately contacting Harman about this will result in a "their's nothing we can do" factor due to the fact that every dealer is a sole propriator (sp). Since Harman does not own them their hands are tied behind their backs when it comes to these issues. Sorry to say but very true.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz