Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash8177

Help with dining room -pics of furniture and space

ash8177
13 years ago

All our furniture is in storage so I sifted through family photos to find pics of the furniture we have to put in the dining room. I have to choose between a few pieces because it won't all fit.

Here is a pic of the dining room.. I still have to paint and we are putting hardwood oak flooring in eventually...

{{!gwi}}

And here is some furniture I have to work with...

Hutch behind my 3 yr old dd

{{!gwi}}

Oak table and chair set (she was hiding chocolate cake behind her back, lol it was the best pic I could find that shows the style of the set, sorry)

{{!gwi}}

You can see the tops of the chairs in this pic and my corner cabinet, err part of it at least.

{{!gwi}}

And this is a larger hutch.. I don't like it as much but have considered keeping it just because its oak, like so much of our other furniture. I can't keep it AND the smaller hutch and corner cabinet though (which I *think* are walnut).

{{!gwi}}

I also want to replace that light fixture but I have no idea what kind of fixture to put in its place. Suggestions there would great!

We also have an oak Granfather clock which I don't have a pic of. It doesn't have to go in there though, but it's an option I guess.

Paint color suggestions would be helpfull too. :D

Basically.. when it comes to home decor I'm hopeless. So ANY suggestions will be helpful!

Comments (12)

• domesticdivantrainin
    13 years ago

Do you know the room dimensions?

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Photos of the other end of the room would be helpful too. It would be easier for me to visualize if the photos of the furniture showed the whole piece. But I am sure someone else here can help.

• User
    13 years ago

Now I know what Golddust was talking about! Your kids are adorable!

Is storage a problem? I think I would keep the smaller hutch and corner one if it will fit. It looks like once the table/chairs are in place it will take up most of the room? From looking at the photos I'm not sure all that, plus the grandfather clock will fit.

For the light fixture, what is decorating style? Traditional, country?

• User
    13 years ago

Oops. *what is your decorating style?*

Maybe something like this for a chandelier? I know the price is high but you could probably find something similar for less.

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor chandy

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

One place I like to look at for lighting is Lighting Direct. http://www.lightingdirect.com/ They have a huge selection in a wide price range. I've ordered from them a few times and always had good service.

About your corner cabinet that you said wouldn't fit in the dining area, can you use it elsewhere in a different room?

• User
    13 years ago

I love the legs of your table. I also like the smaller cabinet, the walnut one I belive it is. You could refinish your table and chairs if you wanted to a darker stain. I had an oak table same color as yours and I sanded it down to the bare wood and stained it a walnut stain. Turned out beautiful. The darker furniture would stand out more against your floor. If you didnt want to do that it is perfectly fine to mix wood colors as long as you keep it down to 2 or 3 imo.

I would definately replace the light fixture, sorry cant really help you there as there are so many styles to choose from.

As far as paint colors for your walls, what colors are in the rest of your home that we could help you coordinate with?

BTW, You have very cute children.

• ash8177
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lets try this again.. (think I got the redirect problem figured out thanks to Les!)

The room dimensions are approximately 10x11.

I don't have photos of the other side of the room right now but I will get some. I can tell you that there are two arch doorways.. one on the wall to he left of the window and one on the wall the picture was taken from.

Thank you again Sheesharee. :) You could be right about all that not fitting. I think it will be pretty close. I guess I will have to wait until we get it all moved in before I know for sure.

As far as style.. I don't know what my style is. I know I don't like most modern looking decor. I think I am going for a country look in the dining room but maybe not through out the whole house. I googled traditional and I like what I see. I also took a couple online quizes to find out what my style is and it varied.. I got classical, traditional, country, eclectic.. I guess eclectic would be most accurate because I like so many different styles?? I'm not sure.

Thank you for the suggestions for lighting.. I like that fixture and can probably find something similiar at an estate sale or auction for a lot less!

Susan, I'm not attached to that cabinet at all.. I'll just have hubby through it in the auction (we have one about once a month).

Thank you all for your feedback. :)

I will be back in the next fews days.. maybe a week with more pics.. full views of the room and furniture *in* the room. I wanted to get the painting done before moving but I can't decide on a color and we need to be moved before the 9th!

Thanks again everyone! :D

• ash8177
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you roseabbey. I love the idea of refinishing the table and chairs in a walnut stain. I have to refinish it anyway because the top is in rough shape! I had thought about staining it darker but was not sure exactly what direction to go there so thank you for the re-assurance. :)

The only main rooms I have painted are the living room and family room and they are both a yellow-toned brown (Harvest Brown by Behr). The plan at the moment (I've changed my mind SO many times) is to paint the foyer a shade lighter which is Gobi Desert by Behr.. sorry I know most here aren't familiar with behr colors. I want to paint the kitchen a shade of green that will look nice with the brown in the living room and family room because they open up to it. The latest color I *thought* I had settled on for the diningroom is Raffia Cream which is a shade lighter then Gobi Desert and two shades lighter then Harvest Brown.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Are you interested in painting any of your furniture?
    That would be my first direction.

• ashleywilis
    13 years ago

hi, Well first tell the room dimension and also tell about the dinning table shape, It seems that it is round shape table

Here is a link that might be useful: Microfiber sectional sofa

• User
    13 years ago

Except for my foyer which is a beautiful red now, the rest of my house is Harvest Brown. The ceiling in our dining room is Raffia Creme. Gobi Desert is downstairs. Love those colors!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

In a small space (we have a small dining room too), I think I would lean toward keeping the one larger china cabinet (assuming it fits) instead of the two smaller cabinets. Plus, of course, the table and chairs. I'd be tempted to paint the cabinet white or off-white (hm, or even a distressed, colored finish -- maybe a nice green? since you have green in the kitchen) and change the drawer pulls and knobs.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH