Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyjo_gw

Olive branch & baby turtle dilemma?

kyjo
14 years ago

Please help. Paint decision process may be cause for divorce.LOL.

I love baby turtle but not seeing much green. I wanted to see it but looks too muddy. I know it has to be an issue with the lack of light.

It's a new build with a northeast facing master that has a huge window (facing the woods)and french door out to a covered porch.

Heavy white trim and white ceilings. Husband is traditional southern no painted ceilings for him.

Almost another reason for divorce.lol.

I have a dark cherry sleigh bed and inherited Davis cabinet Lillian Russell bedroom dresser and end tables.I had the sleigh bed made to match the Davis set. The full bed that came with it was too small. I know the furniture screams vintage but I want more modern paint color. My first thought was BM olive branch but too gray in room.

I am looking at the fan deck of porter paints and 'woolen vest' looks alot like baby turtle. Maybe alittle more clear. I am thinking that will give me the effect of baby turtle I was after? Has anyone used that color?

Can I do olive in a low light room? Any color suggestions would be most welcomed.

So please help save a marriage.........Thanks

Comments (24)

• User
    14 years ago

When I was looking at green for my kitchen Baby Turtle was one of the contenders as was BM Olive Branch, Hancock Gray, Providence Olive... probably some more I'm forgetting. In the end I went with Olive Branch because compared to the others it had more green. The others seemed to muddy out and at some points during the day the green seemed to leave the paint sample! Weird. I'm happy with the color I picked.

Lots of people here have used Baby Turtle and are happy with it. I also love how it looks in their homes. I'm not familiar with Porter Paints so I can't be of any help there. I thought both BT and Olive Branch had a more muddy green/brown going on.

I went to the easyrbg site and converted Olive Branch to Porter Paint colors and came up with Prairie Sumac, Dull Green Gold (more brown), Autumn Olive, Autumn Leaf (more brown).
    Baby Turtle isn't showing up as a color on the easyrgb site even though we know it is. I checked out Colorcharts.org then and Porter Paints is coming up in the match or close match for Baby Turtle or Olive Branch.

Here's a photo of Olive Branch in my house. Don't know if this was of any help thought.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

"I checked out Colorcharts.org then and Porter Paints is coming up in the match or close match for Baby Turtle or Olive Branch."

That sounds all mumbled. When I checked both colors out on the Colorcharts.org site there were no matches of other paint brands that were similar to those two colors.

• kyjo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks shesharee. I love the way olive branch looks in your kitchen. That is what I'm going for. How does it do in low light?

You are so right about the green getting muddied and leaving the sample. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

I use BM paint but have other fan decks. I had SW (they were closer) mix a sample of olive branch from the sample chip.I wonder if something was lost in the mix? It looks real browny gray.

I am rgb challenged. For some reason I can't figure that site out. How do you find what matches? All I'm getting is formulas.I also looked at Ralph Lauren khaki. Is it the same as olive branch?

Thanks again Sheesharee

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I have a northeast facing bedroom and splotched Baby Turtle in here in 2003, but gave it up because it looked too muddy. However, I also splotched in it my NE living room 3 years ago and it looked muddy.........but, that particular evening, I was running out of patience with finding a new color for my vaulted ceilinged living room, so I decided to pour the rest of my BT test quart into the roller tray and just paint it out on that wall.

This photo is the opposite end of my LR where you can see the green a little better. I have to say that putting the whole quart on the wall, (wall wrapping into hallway that I painted UP as far as I could reach and DOWN to the baseboard, about 6' wide) made a lot of difference. Suddenly the swatch that seemed so muddy began to look pretty darn good. I wrapped it around the corner and took it down my hall a few feet. Eureka! I found what I wanted!

I have Olive Branch in my laundry. To me, it's quite a bit darker than the turtle, but you may like it in the bedroom. I think it's too green and too dark. I finally used a gold in my bedroom and don't think I personally would go much darker than that. I might also suggest Ben Moore's Dry Sage. I have it in my entry and really love it!

It is the same value as the Baby Turtle, which is why it works so well for me, coming off my Living room, but it goes to green, to blue, and sometimes almost gray, in various lights. It's a color that might be beautiful in your bedroom.

Red

• yborgal
    14 years ago

This is Olive Branch in a room in the NE corner of the house.

Same color in a NW room.

Same color West facing room.

Upstairs bath, no windows.

Olive Branch just looks different depending on the light source.

• kyjo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks red! Thats how I wanted my baby turtle. I see green in your room and love it.

I just painted a huge section of both olive branch and baby turtle. Still not quite dry but you are right the olive branch is way too dark. The baby turtle well hmm not so sure about it yet. It seems like it depends on what color its next to. If that makes sense? By itself yuck but when I put my warm burgandy chair next to it it looks amazing. Blue looks great too. I think what I'm trying to say is its a color enhancer. It makes other colors pop.

With that being said I still am alittle hesitant about it being a bedroom color. I also have several splotches gold on the wall. I almost went with restrained gold but too dull or dirty looking.

If I dont end up using baby turtle it in the bedroom I will find a place for it.

Off to the paint store to get a sample of dry sage....

Thanks again Red

• kyjo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Monablair Love your Olive branch too! It does'nt look too dark in your house. I love the way it makes the cherry furniture pop.

Do you have it in any bedrooms?

Both the turtle and olive branch look so good in everyones pics. Now I'm really confused......

Thanks monablair

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I think Olive Branch is such a perfect green!

Just my 2 cents... :)

Haley

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

After much agonizing, I used Olive Branch in my master bedroom (NW exposure). I have white trim and cherry furniture. I love the way it looks. I don't feel that it is too dark, but then again I had been living with pastels and off-white tints for so long that I was dying for a color with something to it. In my room it doesn't get too green, although it will occaisionally "brown out" a little.
    I wish I had a picture (and knew how to post it). I'm sure that would be more helpful than a verbal description.

Totally Confused

• jant
    14 years ago

Hi,

It's probably the covered porch that's killing it. Although I probably started this darn Baby Turtle thang about 13 yrs ago in my LR in very BRIGHT, SUNNY Denver, I'd have never done it in a bedroom. You might be like me...I like warmer, lighter and softer colors in an MB. You can always enliven with accents and fabrics. :)

Maybe another room you could use it in? Houses have their say ya know. :) It sounds as if it's already worrying you and it will only get darker. Not to say it wouldn't look nice, but maybe you're just not the type who wants to wake up to darkish walls. I had a VERY pale greeny beige painted in our MB with great light the first year...it was gorgeous but I couldn't stand it. :((( Painted it a great yellow the next year and was very, VERY happy. Went with everything.

Might look at BM Standish White (NOT white!...deep cream/tannish/yellow) if you veer away from the greens. Lori B's house is painted in that. Works in all lights and with all colors. I had it for some time in my kitchen.

I admire a lot of colors online too but know that my house just can't "do them". Or I can't lol.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Sorry to bore you with more pictures, but thought seeing the wall colors might help you.

This is Olive Branch in our Guest Bedroom.

And Olive Branch in our LR.

I just don't find this color too dark even in rooms without windows.

But if you're not locked into a sage green, I happen to love Stuart Gold.
    Our Master BR is in the NE corner of the house with only 1 window. It does have a door that leads to the Sun Room but we don't get a lot of light in the room.
    We chose Stuart Gold and it was perfect for our BR.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I used LAGold #3 in my bedroom, it's a soft brown gold in the daylight, more intense at night. (A Laura Ashley signature color from Lowes)

Daylight above

More like this in the evening

As Jan says, once you get your stuff in the room, the BT sets off everything. And it works as a neutral I think?

Red

• homersmom
    14 years ago

We have BT in out foyer and I wanted something a little lighter for our master bedroom (northern exposure.) I went with Flowering Herb, which is on the same strip with BT. It's a very soothing shade and it seems to look good any time of day.

• Irish2
    14 years ago

I also use BT in my guest BR...(Black & Cream toile
    accents) I used Flowering Herb on ceiling...love it
    I do prefer the dark shades of paint after years of
    pastels. The only light painted walls are kitchen
    with BM Provence Creme (pale yellow). I also used
    LA Gold #3(LR)(FR)...Sorry no pics to show at the moment

• susanilz5
    14 years ago

I used BM's Rosemary Sprig in my NE facing Master bedroom. Originally I considered Olive Branch & Baby turtle but they looked like dirt in the northern light. Put a swatch on your wall and see how it looks. It's lovely.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

I have sample painted a fairly large swatch of BM Rosemary Sprig to test for my future kitchen/breakfast room remodel. I will have 2-3 windows on a south-facing wall, but there is a covered porch there, too. Looking at the sample, I was afraid it would be a little too dark for that room, so I added white in a 3:1 ratio and love it! I then had the 3:1 version colormatched at Sherwin Williams (I really like our SW store/personnel better than our BM store) in a sample quart (Colors to Go) and tried a large sample of that. I really, really like the lighter version a lot better; it remained the green I loved, just not quite so dark. If you decide to go that route, I have the formula on my Color to Go Sample I'd be happy to share w/ you.

Oh, I did try just going one shade lighter on the paint card (Soft Fern), but it was way too light; kind of glowed :-o

• kyjo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you. Everyone has been so helpful.

Red I went today and got a sample of dry sage. Very moody color. Its reading blue gray so far. Not thinking it's the one but wont rule it out til tomarrow.

Most of the house was painted BM match to Laura Ashley gold 2. Including the master. I said I wanted to move in before I picked the colors to get a feel for everything and we could just paint over the gold 2. I know...not too
    smart.

I just had the kitchen and breakfast painted last week in Ralph Lauren lincolnshire olive matched to BM paint. Love that color. Alittle too gray for master though.

Jant Since the room is light now I don't feel the warmth in the room. I really need some coziness in there. but I dont want it to feel like a cave either.

I am in agreement with totallyconfused and irish on the pastels of the past. Went there myself and have no intentions on going back.

monablair I love seeing your pics. They make me want olive branch more than ever. It shows me that it goes with all my elements. Cherry furniture, white trim and burgandy.

I have'nt tried rosemary sprig or flowering herbs.

I think I figured out my problem with the baby turtle. The decorators white trim and stark white ceiling. Which might be ok in good natural light. If my trim was wood I think I'd like it more. Or atleast a warm white trim. Maybe even no trim at all. All the white makes it more muddy (or something) than it probably is. Where as the olive branch and white compliment eachother. Am I in a late night paint fumed delusion or does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks again everyone. You all may have saved a marriage. lol

• chispa
    14 years ago

How about a slightly "brighter" green? I used BM Georgian Green before, with good results. It looked great with white trim, dark cherry furniture and red accents.

Another green is BM Saybrook Sage, but it is more gray/green.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Funny that you already have one of the LA Golds in your house, although #2 is much more subtle than what I have in the MBR. And yes, the Dry Sage is quite changeable. I thought it was green, then, in the evening light it is almost blue gray. I like that in the entry. But you have to find a color to suit your bedroom. I hope you are edging closer. I have to say that all the many, many, many, samples that I painted in my entry when I first repainted the red, helped me know what was not going to work. Do you know that I was aiming for a grayed-brown? And I have Dry Sage? What I thought would look good, did not. And what I thought I absolutely did not want, is now one of my favorite colors in the whole house.

Red

• kyjo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Red I am getting closer. I have made alot of progress in the last 24 hours. This board is really helpful.

I'm finally realizing that any color with brown or blue is
    not going to work. So that rules out everything I thought I wanted.

Chispa was on the right track. So I started looking at yellow greens. I used georgian green before but wanted something alittle deeper.

Susanilz5 suggested rosemary sprig so I got a sample too dark. Then jbrig suggested cutting it. Have'nt tried that yet. But maybe..

What I am liking alot is SW garden sage. Maybe SW lemongrass. On my way to get samples...again.

Thanks again

• kyjo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update............ Baby turtle it is!

The sample area I painted seemed to cure to exactly what I wanted. I now see more green in it than brown. Did it cure or did my eyes adjust to it?

I had a alot of company today at different times and when I gave the house tour I had to tell them to excuse my paint mess and that I'm trying to pick a color. Well everyone loved the turtle hands down. No one even gave any of the other colors a second glance.

This is the best feeling to finally found the one. Sheer Bliss. Until I start on another room.........

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

That's great, kyjo--can't wait to see the final results! I know what you mean about feeling so relieved to have found "the" color..

• TDA371_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been banging my head trying to pick the right green for my living room and after reading everyone's posts about baby turtle...I'm sold. So, it's off to the store for me!