Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlpearce

BenMoore Winter Solstice, Iced Slate, or Metallic Silver pictures

jlpearce
14 years ago

Has anyone used these paint colors? Pictures would be great. I am trying to decide on a color for my bathroom. I want a gray with a touch of blue in it. My BenMoore store does not have samples of any of these colors, or I would just do that. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

I looked for those colors online and the only one I could find was the Winter Solstice - which is a really nice color, BTW. So, I copied it for you and thought I'd also give you a few more to consider from my inspiration file. I hope these help.

BM Winter Solstice

BM Palladium Blue

BM Seattle Mist

BM Wythe Blue

BM Wet Cement

SW Comfort Gray

SW Quietude

SW Rainwashed

SW Austere Gray

RH Silver Sage

Farrow and Ball Blue Gray

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

I saw Iced Slate used in a model home and it was very nice!
    (lots of light coming in) I've also considered Metallic Silver in my home (office), but have not tried a tester yet...
    Feather Gray is another colour you may want to check out.

I had been looking at these colours when painting our family room.Ended up going with Beacon Gray and although defifintely more blue than gray, I love the colour.
    Very soft & serene...

L.

• jlpearce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

scarlet-Thanks for all the pics. Very helpful. I love the Winter Solstice picture, but DH is weary of a color that is too gray-thinks it will be depressing. And I am weary of a color that looks too blue. Hopefully I can find something in the middle!

lisa-Did the iced slate look really blue, or could you see definite gray in it? I want more gray than blue.

snicky-same question as to lisa. Can you definitely tell that iced slate is gray/blue and not just a light blue?

The bathroom just has one small window on the north, so it won't get that much light. I definitely want it to look gray/blue and not just blue. My DH thinks gray is depressing, so I want to make sure it is not too gray.

• jlpearce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Feather Gray is really pretty.

If you have a Sherwin Williams near you they can mix those colors up for you in a Color To Go sample! All you need is the color name and if you have the #'s and collection that they are from even better!

I've tested all of my BM paint colors in the SW Color To Go Samples.

• jlpearce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttodd-Thanks. I got my feather gray paint strip out. I think I have every paint strip that BM has in the blue to gray color range. Unfortunately, the closest SW is 2 hours away. If it was closer, I think I probably would be going with SW paint. BM is the closest good quality paint around here. I think feather gray is similar to metallic silver, I need to look a bit closer.

• snickysnacker
    14 years ago

Sorry I took so long to reply!! I think the Iced Slate is more blue than gray. Maybe even along the lines of a pale periwinkle??? Not exactly, but sort of. Let me try that photo bucket again in a few hours after I run errands.

• jlpearce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks snickysnacker. That would be great! Maybe the Iced Slate is going to be too blue for me. I really can't tell a difference between Metallic Silver and Feather Gray from the strips. I think I am leaning towards Feather Gray over the Iced Slate, but a picture would surely help.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I really can't tell a difference between Metallic Silver and Feather Gray from the strips.

Good job looking at strips. Online rooms with paint color examples provide some color information, but can't count on them for accuracy especially when it comes to the nuances of color.

Metallic Silver is more toned, or grayed down more and has a slightly stronger edge of purple to it. My guess is that Metallic Silver has just a snidge more magenta in the mix. LRV is 57.9

Feather Gray is just slightly more clear in color than Metallic Silver. They're really close. And it would read with a truer, bluer edge to the grayness of the color than the M. Silver would (in a balanced light source any way). LRV is 58.8.

LRV is number that tells you how light or how dark a color could feel/look once it's up. Metallic S. and Feather G. are really close in LRV, wouldn't say one is darker or lighter than the other.

• PRO
    Bliss Studio Design
    4 years ago

Here is a photo of sampled Benjamin Moore Iced Slate on left and Metallic Silver on right. It’s very hard to tell by the photo but Iced Slate definitely has more blue relative to metallic silver which has more gray.. Though we did not sample feather gray, based on the chip, it appears to be somewhere in between these two other colors. For this project, we selected paint for a main floor residential project, most of walls in the home were painted simply white me the French doors were painted iced slate. we were aiming for a fresh Hamptons vibe. We changed it up for this living room space which is horizon (top) and Swiss coffee (chair rail, trim and lower wall).

Hope this helps!

Helen Bernstein

Bliss Studio Design