Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scanmike_gw

'It's Complicated' anyone see it?

scanmike
14 years ago

Saw It's Complicated and loved the house. Such eye candy!

Here I am thinking I want darker color walls and yet I loved the decor and neutral wall color. Does wnyone know what color they used?? That vegetable garden is a dream too.

I found myself looking at her shades, pillows, bath, just everything and taking mental notes. I also loved her daughter house in the movie and those sheer roman shades. They would be perfect in my hall where I don't want to block the light. Anyone know what I am talking about??

Comments (16)

• indygo
    14 years ago

I loved the movie and the house. Hopefully, I'm attaching a link to a blog with photos of the movie. The walls look like a light buff to me, or a darkish cream. Hopefully someone will have a good guess!

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Complicated house

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I saw the movie a few days ago and loved the house. Especially the island in the kitchen and the pillows on the sofa's.

Yes, the garden's were wonderul.

And, I too loved the daughter's house. Wasn't her back yard pretty all covered in those big white party lantern's and white lights?

.....Jane

• natal
    14 years ago

That vegetable garden is a dream too.

So true ... because it's not real! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: the dirt on the garden

• fluffybutt
    14 years ago

Yes, I LOVED that movie, and the house! I remarked to my friend, who probably thought I was nuts, that I loved the barstool slipcovers and wanted to copy that idea.

• charlikin
    14 years ago

I ***WANT*** the lamp on the table next to the chair Meryl Streep was sitting on in the living room. With all the circles on it.

Well, I want the HOUSE, but in lieu of the house, I'll take the lamp.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Haven't seen it yet, but looking for it out on DVD soon. That way, I can stop the scenes and really take a look at the rooms. :)

• scanmike
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • ttodd
    14 years ago

There was a tiny feature on the decor and set in the Dec. 09 Traditional Home magazine and here is a link to sort of 'Steal the Look' of the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steal This Look

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I just put a picture of Meryl's kitchen from the movie in my new post No upper cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Its Complicated Kitchen

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

If you have a small kitchen, no upper cabinets doesn't work very well.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I agree it can be a challenge in a small a kitchen but I have seen several where it works very well. Generally open shelving is added where the cabinets used to be and the glassware and dishes become part of the overall decor. Additionally, if all the cabinets are being redone a thoughtful cabinet plan with a lot of extras, drawers and pull outs can increase the storage area below significantly. If you love the look it generally can be accomplished with minor trade offs.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting. I saw the title of the thread & thought you'd posted in the wrong forum. lol :0) I haven't seen the movie, but loved looking at the house!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I can't imagine living in a house with open shelving in the kitchen. I cook in my kitchen, and I also clean it. I know what would collect on those shelves, and I would never serve food on dishes that had been sitting on an open shelf for a week - and probably longer - collecting dust and cooking particulate. As for not having upper cupboards at all, why, I have a real kitchen and I need real options for storage. I am much more concerned with functionality than fakery. Working kitchens are not necessarily good movie props, and movie props are not necessarily good kitchens.

Just like the fake garden in the movie that won't feed anyone in real life, this decor concept makes for beautiful movies, but has no practical value in a real home.

• User
    14 years ago

I agree with sherrman, I would not want open shelves in my kitchen. I have a hard enough time keeping the dust off the floors, let alone my dishes!

• pps7
    14 years ago

My new house will have open shelves. I'll let you know in about a year
    how I feel about it.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I saw the orange accents in the kitchen, wondered if that was a "hot" color. This article says 2008 -2009....it
    was"....:0)

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange accents are in?