Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinlo

Turkey Plates!

cinlo
14 years ago

So after seeing all the really great turkey plates, I began a hunt for some. First I went to the Home Goods store and found these 4 Johnson Bros. Autumn Monarch salad plates:

Next, I tried a T. J. Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross & they had nothing. Then, yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment, and stopped at a different T. J. Maxx. They had a lot of the boxed 4 salad or dinner plates by Queen's China (can't remember the pattern name.) I didn't like those as much because they seemed to have more mauve/pink in them, and I prefer neutrals and jewel tones. But they were a great price, so it was hard to pass up! I think $9.99 for the 4 salad plates and $14.99 for the dinner plates.

So, I was still wanting some dinner plates, and I tried one more T. J. Maxx that usually doesn't have much. I must have timed it just right because I found these:

3 Spode Festival dinner plates

2 Spode Celebration dinner plates

How do you think they look paired with the Johnson Bros. salad plates?

I'm not one to mix patterns so I'd like your opinions if you think it's too busy.

And with my Lenox Eternal China?

I think I like them so much because they can be as informal or formal as you like. Now I have to be on the lookout for a few more! I don't even host Thanksgiving! My sister does. It will still be fun to have for the boys, and DH needed something to give me for my birthday so I helped him out.

Comments (15)

• cinlo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just went back and reread my original question about Turkey dishes and saw that Betty has the soup bowls like my Spode Celebration plates! I'll be happy just to get the plates though. I think it will be OK to mix the Spode Celebration & Festival patterns. Again, I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Cindy.. I think the plates work wonderfully together and I don't think they look busy at all.
    I was in Marshall's & TJ Max on Thurs, and saw all the Turkey plates you mentioned. I didn't care for the colors in the Myott Queen's Thanksgiving plates.
    I did see Betty's Spode Celebrations, and now yours, at Marshall's. That pattern and the Johnson's, I like the best. I think they work Very well together.
    I've actually layered three plates together, with them working well. Did you try them using the Eternal first, then the Spode Celebration and then the Smaller Johnson on top? That would be an elegant look. Or, is the Eternal plate not large enough for the Celebration on top of it?
    The two together look beautiful as well.

I'm laughing, thinking how you're not hosting Thanksgiving, but got caught up in all the Turkey Plates you've seen here.
    You can definitely start a tradition with your DH and sons, to enjoy. And, your right..they can be used for both formal in informal..however you dress it up or down.
    Great finds..Cindy..enjoy them.

jane

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh, I love the mix. I went to TJ MAXX Thursday and didn't buy any of the plates because they didn't have any Celebration and I was afraid to try to mix.

But I'll go back now and try my very best find some of those beautiful Johnson Bros. Autumn Monarch or Spode Festival dinner plates.

My bowls will be proud to sit on them! TFS

Betty

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

And don't forget that you can use them as decorations in a wall hanger or displayed on a countertop like Karen did her platters and plates! They are really pretty!

Now stop it all of you! You know how susceptible I am to suggestions. Please don't make me want to go buy turkey plates--I don't need more seasonal dishes to try to store--pleeease help me noooot to give innnnn! LOL

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Its funny how you never know you need something...till you see it here. LOL.

That Johnson Bros plate is my favorite turkey of the several they make. And I do love my Queen's Myott as its the one with several colors.
    Of the the three 'mixes' you showed, Cindy, I really love the second one with the brown-est plate. Tho all look nice to me.

hugs, Karen

• cinlo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much ya'll! I didn't think I liked transferware (is that the right name?), but I'm really liking my dishes! Plus I'm mixing patterns which I never really do.
    Betty, it will be neat that we share a china pattern (or 2!). I'd like to get the bowls, mugs, and a couple of serving pieces eventually, but I'll be happy with my set of 4 dinner & 4 salad plates for our immediate family. I can always gradually add more, right?

Jane, I'll have to dig out my Eternal plate again and see how the Spode dinner plates work with it.

Luvs, I really need to stay out of Marshall's, T. J. Maxx, etc. They sure feed my addictions for pretty, nice things, but they are always such good buys!

Karen, the Queen's Myott was hard to pass up and I'm sure they make a lovely table. Somehow, I saw more pink tones in them than I prefer. I looked at them again on Ebay & there are lots of other colors in them, but the mauve just jumped out at me for some reason.

Thanks to all for the comments! I really needed something else to collect ; )

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Man, ya'll are killing me, I love the turkey plates. I don't have any and I am not going to let myself start. I have a few different turkey plates and platters that I use to decorate my buffet, and I'm going to try to stick to that. But those are really beautiful.
    Syble

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

I was in Home Goods yesterday, and they had Spode Celebrations... A few of the dinner plates, and several soups.
    They're probably starting to put them out now.
    I'm thinking of getting 4 of the plates myself...Because YOU ALL ARE SUCH BAD INFLUENCES ...but nice ones!! :)

jane

• cinlo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one being tempted! You know I would never go into a department store and buy these. Even when I look at Ebay, by the time you add shipping costs, they are too pricey for me. I only allow myself these purchases because they are at such a discount at Home Goods, Marshalls, etc.

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

You ladies are something else with all your gotta have its. I'm not sure I should stay and play with all of you cuz I can already tell what's ahead for me.haha I'll just stay STRONG and keep repeating to myself I'm here to enjoy all of YOUR dishes and tablescapes and post a tray here and there.LOL

Punk

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Good luck, Punk. I don't entertain, or have any idea how to do pretty table settings in spite of all the great teachers here...but they still had me buying dish stuff to do so. LOL. If this group aren't The Great Enablers, no one is! It make take them a bit if you are determined, but I have a feeling they won't fail in helping along your purchases. LOL

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Love Your Company and Trays, Punk...but
    remember the saying...

Never Say Never !!!

jane

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Punk, just ask Karen what happened to her and the color "pink" after being on here a year or so! LOL

Several of us never worried about a pretty table except for maybe Thanksgiving or Christmas--then this forum proved that dressing up a table could be fun and a great "creative" outlet too.

Cindy, I really like the two patterns together, and I'm so happy that you were able to find what you wanted at great discount prices.

Luvs

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Cindy, Just thought I would let you know how it turned out with me.

I went back to TJ Maxx and they had NONE of the Johnson Bro's Autumn Monarch.

I ended up buying 4 dinner and 4 side plates and a serving dish of the Queen's Myott that Karen has because I liked the very thing that you didn't like... The colors. Especially the pink! Thanksgiving dishes and pink, too! That's my idea of a great thing!

Several other things caught my eye and I came out with a much lighter wallet! Pictures later.

Be sure to show us the final pics of your table when you get it all "gussied up".

I still haven't quit tweeking my Halloween table. I try to start early because it takes me so long to dig through my stashes to see what I can find to add.

Punk, Believe me. You won't be strong long! But, you will have soooo much fun in your weakness!

Karen, What is stopping you? You have the dishes. JUST DO IT!!

Go in the kitchen (or where ever the table is) and set those dishes on the table and start digging through your stash and sit other stuff on the table and move them around for a little while. Take a break and dig through your goodies some more a little later and keep adding stuff you find. Sleep on it, and do it all over again the next day or the next.

It may be better to use a little side table and set it for just 2 people the first time. (Not as much space to have to fill up!)

The thing that helped me the most is, I have a built in bar in my kitchen that we just about always eat at. So, that frees up my dining room table, which is right there in sight, to play with. FINALLY I'll finish tweeking, adding and taking away, etc, etc. (Or just give up 'cause I just can't figure out how to make it look any better).

Then I take pics and post them.

Do you have any idea how long I've tried to get something done that I even BEGAN to think might be just a little bit good?

When DGS helped me do the beach table and you put it in your photo album I went crazy! I showed EVERYONE who would stand still long enough that KAREN THOUGH IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR HER ALBUM!!!!!!!! I'm still floating on air!

You ALWAYS have your home and porch decorated so beautifully for the different holidays.

It's time to take this next step. If you never serve a meal at that table, you will still enjoy the fun of playing with it.

I will be waiting patiently for your pictures. Besides, we have the same dishes now!

Hugs and encouragement coming at cha,

NOW GO DO IT!!!!!!

Betty

• soinspired
    14 years ago

I had to kill a little time yesterday afternoon before an appointment and stopped in T J Maxx. Oh my goodness, they had a nice stock of turkey plates and I believe similar to the Johnson Bros. Cindyloohoo pictured above. They were just lovely. I didn't buy any but was sure tempted. May go back payday... Price was very reasonable I thought and if I remember correctly, salad plates were just 4 for $10. Because of visiting this forum, I would have never given them a second look before. And, incorporating them with my good china like you all do would be so pretty. I am so inspired! Thanks.