Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Medicine cabinet at your back? No mirror? Please vote!

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Due to space/light considerations in tiny bathroom with vanity in corner and very limited storage, I'm having a hard time fitting in mirror, medicine cabinet, and sconces. Please vote on 2 alternates:

#1: Mirror above vanity, med cabinet behind the vanity. It's only a 5' wide room. Would that be too weird to have to pivot to get to essentials, do you think? If so, I would offset it so it would be behind and slightly to the left of the vanity so that one wouldn't have mirrors facing each other into infinity and beyond.

#2: Get rid of mirror idea altogether and use it somewhere else in house (but it's so pretty! RH pivot mirror), get big med cabinet with mirrored front to go above vanity.

TIA! (may try to x-post on decorating forum, as this is both an aesthetics and layout question)

Comments (7)

• jillian08
    15 years ago

Hi, bluekitobsessed....two things I thought of:

Use the mirror you want, but have a medicine cabinet (w/no door) put behind it. In other words, install the mirror on hinges (if possible) so that it can swing open, and you will have the medicine cabinet storage behind it. Or,

Put the medicine cabinet on the wall behind the vanity you're talking about, only don't use the kind with a mirrored door. In my small powder room, the vanity/mirror is front-on, and the medicine cabinet is on the wall to the left of the mirror. It is not mirrored, rather, the door matches my vanity doors. I really don't think it would be that awkward to have to turn around to get things out.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Number two. It's too small of a room for two mirrors that close to each other. If it were a different style, I'd say hang it above the toilet (the pivot one) but since it's not...ditch it (but put it in your bedroom or walk in closet? for a dressing mirror).

• User
    15 years ago

Hi
    I have an alternate idea that I just saw in this months Better Home and Garden (Sept 2008 p 56). There is a bathroom in there that has a recessed medicine cabinet but with a framed picture on the front. It might be a way to avoid the 2 mirrors facing each other.

Good luck

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I vote for medicine cabinet above vanity. Really, I don't see what's wrong with that option - they make some very pretty medicine cabinets now!!! I just ordered a simple frameless Kohler with beveled edges, but my bathroom's going to be very contemporary and I wanted something minimalist. As I was looking at cabinets, I saw some beautiful framed ones - made me (almost) wish I was going more traditional!!!

Can you recess the cabinet? It helps if it doesn't stick out as much... then it's more like just having a mirror.

• jessicam79
    15 years ago

There's a company that makes a recessed medicine cabinet with a picture frame door that may be a solution for this problem. It's called The Concealed Cabinet. Here's the link.

Jess

Here is a link that might be useful: The Concealed Cabinet

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Don't know if this is feasible... In our last house DH built a medicine cabinet into the side wall perpendicular to the vanity mirror (that was in the days of full wall mirrors- medicine cabinets were so passe in the 80's). We had a mirror made for the door, cuz I wanted to be able to see the back of my head- remember the intricate braids of those days too? Don't know what a whole generation did without medicine cabinets!!! :>)

• stu2900
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if your bathroom is configured this way, but this is what we did. (The walls aren't done yet, even though they look painted in the picture.)We didn't have a medicine cabinet for 30 years and I couldn't wait to get one. This is "The Concealed Cabinet" the previous poster talked about. I love it! (And I have no association with that company what-so-ever). I will say it's a bit pricey and if you're handy (which we are) and have the time (which we didn't) you could probably build one yourself. In fact, I remember someone on this forum recently did just that. I don't know how I ever got along without a medicine cabinet, so if your only alternative is to put one on a wall behind you, DO IT! You won't be sorry