Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtrshop

Bathroom vanity P-trap Location

gtrshop
14 years ago

I'm going to install a sink (Kohler "Serif") in an old reconditioned sideboard/dresser - that will become our new vanity. This particular dresser has a nice space between the top 2 drawers that will allow me to route the incoming water and the drain through. It also has a 4" (if not more) space behind (the drawers do not go full depth) the larger full-length middle drawer that I could use for other plumbing details if necessary.

Looking at the sink and the drain sitting in place in my dresser I was pondering over where "exactly" the P trap has to be located. Must it be directly connected to the drain (with appropriate adapters, of course)or is it possible to angle the drain flow via a 45degree elbow fitting to locate the p-trap further back in the dresser? All P-traps I've ever seen are immediately under the drain they serve, as inconvenient as that it to the use of the under counter space. I am just trying to figure out if there is a reason why I couldn't "nudge" the drain's flow with a couple 45 degree elbows and a very short piece of straight ABS. There will be no horizontal flow off the drain - even though that would make reworking the dresser drawers so much simpler and convenient.

Thanks

Comments (15)

• gtrshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The offset drain tailpiece would serve me well with one hitch...the faucet set came with it's own which incorporates an integrated drain stopper mechanism. Could I fabricate the offset piece out of ABS and install it after the mechanism and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 adapter? That would be idea, actually.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

This is exactly what we did in our new vanity. We went from the drain back the the back 4", then rotated the trap so it's lying "flat" against the back wall as mongo said. We cut a slot in the back of the drawer to accomodate the drain. Works great!

Stacey

• gtrshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stacey:

That is exactly what I planned to do, I was just wanted to make sure there was no blatant code violation for doing so.

Thanks to both of you...

Steve

• davidro1
    14 years ago

gtrshop,

Consider whether a flat offset will work too. Like mongoct's image shows. The fact that your sink tailpiece has a drain stopper doesn't change its end connection. (Or ?)

Yes you can route the pipe under the sink drain over to a distant P trap. Ikea even has a product for this, the Norrviken (shown under the Godmorgen sinks in their showrooms and on the web).

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I don't think you can purchase Ikea's drain seperately, can you? We seriously wanted to do so, since we styled our vanity after the Godmorgen to begin with.
    Oh- and the Ikea setup relies on using THEIR very low-profile drain, too. I just remembered.
    I wanted to use the drain that came with our nice Kohler lav faucets (with a lever-operated drain closure) but the tailpiece was so low that it would have made the top drawer next to useless. Instead we used a vessel-sink type push-down drain, with a much shorter tailpiece. This allowed us to keep the plumbing pretty close to the bottom of the sink. Of course, we did have to modify the parts a bit, but it was easy enough to saw off an inch or so...

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Yes, I also cut the tailpiece to shorten it. The threads are easy to get back in shape if you leave the nut on it while cutting; you turn the nut and it pushes the cut metal edge of the cut threads back into shape.

I used a "tight elbow" made of copper for DWV.

• gtrshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I knew no matter how things played out that I'd be cutting into the middle drawer - and that's not a problem. I am fortunate that this particular dresser has a pair of 4-inch shallow drawers on top, and that they do not meet in the centre. There is an area right in the middle between the two small drawers about 5 inches wide that is empty... perfect for drain. With e exception of the middle drawer slot nothing needed to be changed. The p-tray is conveniently located in the space behind the drawers - for whatever reason the depth of the drawers themselves don't extend the full depth of the cabinet.

We considered a vessel style sink, but with small children the 36" counter height will already require a stood for the smaller one - the sink sits up another 2" above that. A vessel would have been much too high - as would the farm style that we thought we originally wanted.

All that's left to do now is hook up the supply and drain to the wall...and enjoy our new bathroom.

• galleyette
    14 years ago

gtrshop, could you post pictures of your project when it's completed? We are also on the lookout for some kind of period piece to use as a small vanity. If we don't have your luck, we may end up having to have something made. The only cabinetmaker we know is no plumber, and a picture would be...priceless.

Thanks!

• gtrshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Galleyette:

It's far from finished, but it is fully operational..running water and the ability to get rid of same.

Because of the limited space below the vanity we chose this sink - somewhat of a cross between a vessel-style and a counter level basin. The extra inches above the top made for an easier fit underneath.

Here you get a good idea of the unique construction of this dresser that made for an easier installation. Notice the space where the p-trap is located...unused space behind the drawers. You can also see - right under the sink drain - a rail on either side for the smaller upper drawers. Another unused interior space, we routed supply lines here. Easy access for drain.

Another interior view. bottom of basin is visible between two upper drawers.

This scrollwork sits on a maple veneer 5" spacer between the two drawer fronts. Nice detail on the outside - you can see how convenient this is when you compare to location of drain fittings.

Still needs a bit of refinishing work, but the whole idea is it looks well loved! We couldn't believe how well it turned out.

Steve

• galleyette
    14 years ago

Steve, thank you SOOOO Much! It's stunning! The pictures are all crystal clear. You should go into the custom vanity business!

It's an absolutely brilliant solution. I hope we'll be able to do something similar.

Thanks again!

• gtrshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're too kind :) - thanks. The vanity is only one portion of the whole project, but it does become quite a focal piece. The cabinet definitely directed our choices. Don't invest in a new sink (as an example) and be disappointed it doesn't fit. Good luck finding a suitable cabinet!

• tofu_flavored
    13 years ago

Stacey - I'm wondering where your supply pipes/valves for the faucets are... I just posted a similar message on the plumbing forum. I'm wondering what I'm going to do about my plumbing; I've got an old dresser that has 4 drawers, which extend all the way to the back of the dresser. I was going to install a marble top with undermount sink so I'm going to lose the top and possibly second drawer. The plumbing stuff is about 16 inches from the ground, which puts it at the level of the 3rd drawer. I hate to lose 3 drawers, but I'm not sure what I can do... Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: my plumbing

• jacobse
    13 years ago

I don't know whether moving the supplies is an option, so maybe approaching it from the other end would be the way to go: shorten the drawers by a few inches so they don't run into your supply valves. Losing a few inches beats losing the drawers completely!

-- Eric

• tofu_flavored
    13 years ago

Well, turns out the piece of furniture I bought isn't deep enough to accomodate the sink and the faucet. I don't want a vessel sink, so that isn't an option... So sad!