Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsesis

Dacor Vs Thermador Vs Other Brands Packages

dsesis
14 years ago

Hi All,

I have been researching many of the higher end appliances for a new home. I was on Dacor's and Thermador's website, and both of them are running great specials right now on appliance packages that include free hoods and dishwashers and more.

I am not seeing any consistent good reviews for either of these brands, maybe a few more positives than negatives for Thermador.

Does anybody have any other ideas in looking at a package deal that we could take advantage of. I'm sure this is not the best situation to have all the same manufacturer, but the savings does help us now. KitchenAid would be a choice only if reviews were better than higher end brands.

I have been looking at Wolf and Miele as well.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (23)

• Jan Russak
    14 years ago

I would absolutely not recommend Dacor.
    I have 3 dacor appliances: a dual fuel range, a double wall oven and a hood. Each one of them had one or more components that failed soon after they were installed.
    The range's microchip failed. Consequently the igniters do not work and the oven does not work. The gas is fine - as long as we manually light the burners.

One of the lights in the hood failed almost immediately - it is not a bulb issue.

One of double wall ovens slowly failed over the course of several months. The other lasted two years but is also now failing - In fact I was out shopping for a replacement wall overn today. The appliances were installed about 3 years ago.

I have not been able to get these appliances serviced - this despite the fact that I live in suburban North/Central NJ with lots of support theoretically near by. The store I visited today told me they dropped Dacor because they could not get Dacor to adequately service their appliances.

If I were you, I wouldn't consider Dacor a truly viable option.

I can't speak to any of the other brands you mention.
    I've had my fill of "high end" that isn't.

• antss
    14 years ago

The problem with "packages" is no one company makes the best of everything or even a good unit that fills your needs.

At the end of the day you should focus on units that meet your needs for features and aesthetic value. Then weigh the total cost for the best indiv. units versus the "package" .

A free dishwasher is not so free if it doesn't clean very well, catches fire, leaks, or is just a pain in the hooey to use everyday. It's also not free if the cost of 5 appliances indiv. is the same price as 4 + a free whatever.

Don't get caught up in the marketing or hype. As a general rule it's for products or services that can't sell themselves on the merits.

• home4shore
    14 years ago

We just started looking at appliances for our new house today and really liked the Electrolux wall oven and fridge.

Likewise we haven't seen any packages for them.

We are open to other brands for a Slide-In Cooktop and DW.

• antss
    14 years ago

just to keep the facts straight:

Dacor's core appliances - ovens/tops/ranges/DW/warmer drws are made inhouse.
    Their micro control panel is diff. than the Sharp so check it out before you get one. The # pad is not like a caculator/phone but just 2 rows of 5 numbers. Not very intuative IMO.

Viking's stand alone fridge is made by a 3rd party. Their built in line which is the bulk of sales is totally done in house.

Home- ELux is not a great brand for fridges, look nice but a big crap shoot in terms of performance and reliability.

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

"ELux is not a great brand for fridges." Another reason, as the posters here mentioned, "Diversify" We have the Electrolux 30" Convection oven and their speed oven. Both perform Flawlessly and are a joy to use. The ball bearings racks that glide way out, the door with the big glass that stays cool and we really like the "Intuitive controls on both ovens.We have had them for over 3 years now. We also have the Electrolux 30" induction cooktop, which replaced a "Fancy" Electric cooktop that started giving trouble after the 1st year and did a "Decor" Died within 2 years.
    We bought a Jenn-air 48" SxS Paneled fridge and it has been trouble free and quiet, since 2006(it was rated #1 for reliability by CR in 2006).
    We have the Miele Optima Dishwasher since 2006--bought that cause of the silverware tray on top and we just toss the silverware up their "willy Nily" and they all come out clean--Ya dont needs to line them all up in neat rows (everything in it's place) as some may lead you to believe, Here.
    Anyway, long way of saying, stay away from pkg deals, use this site as well as others--to find the best appliance for the job!!!!
    Good luck with your shopping, sorry You had to find out the hard way that these expensive ones are built more for impressing the neighbors and friends that for cooking and cleaning! Chances are some of your neighbors or friends "might" (Note the "MIGHT") just look at a kitchen with all that Expensive and showy stuff and just quietly and silently think, "hmmmmmmm MMTB"
    Gary

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

Ooooops shudda said "Cooking and Cooling" ---CRS "Kicked in again"

Gary

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Antss - sorry, I stand corrected (I can't keep all the rebadges straight as they're a moving target from year to year). But my point still stands - people who buy appliance packages thinking they're getting all one manufacturer and paying more to have all one manufacturer should be aware that their package likely contains one or two pieces that are rebadges. Those rebadged appliances can have upcharges of 50%-100% more than the original manufacturer's price. Of course, many people are willing to pay an upcharge so they can have the Dacor/Thermador/Wolf badge on everything, and that's their choice. But people should at least be aware of it.

The OP also mentioned hoods. Do Dacor and Thermador make their hoods in-house? To me, the classic story is Wolf and Independent. Independent makes wonderful hoods, and used to make them for Wolf. People caught on, and simply bought the Independent hood for hundreds less than the same hood with the Wolf badge. Now, Wolf makes their own hoods inhouse. I'd still buy an Independent hood, and not worry about matching the label.

• antss
    14 years ago

Wasn't scolding , just clarifing.

Think Wolf's cases are done in house with BEST motors??? could be wrong on this though. Pretty certain all Dacor's are third party, don't know re downdrafts and powerpacks.

• dsesis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I feel likes I've researched all weekend, and I know packages are not to my advantage now. But all reviews seem to lead to Miele for everything. Of course, if that's within my budget which I won't know till I price it out.

Is Miele really that good for cooktop, oven, and Refrigerator??? I know for DW, it is loved.

I love the sizes of refrigerator. If I can have my dream kitchen, I would have anything larger than a 48" or two separate units, 30" freezer, 30" refrigerator.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

I love the looks and features of the Thermador Oven (sub $4000 double 30" model). My salesman at a major seller said "if you have trouble good luck getting it fixed". Not that they won't try to fix it, just can't seem to. Also they have a high problem rate per CR. Bosch oven is basically identical (but IMO not as good looking) at lower price. Most Bosch products have had reliability problems, but great performance.

Salesman at another store pointed out all the features of the Dacor and noted that almost every part could be replaced without removing the oven from the wall. I thought cool, but later wondered if it is because they have so many repairs to make.

My main salesman loves Miele for the quality and design and customer service. Said they will replace a failed appliance out of warranty. Guy I work with just got his 2yo dryer replaced with the new model as 2 repairs. I thought their induction cooktops had a great design with large burners and gooding spacing, and lots of features. The Yale Appliance blog says their repair history for their customers shows Miele is best, LG is worst.

I bought Jenn Air's new design oven with the 4.2" LCD. I have a 10 year-old JA convection oven that I have been very pleased with and just one $120 LED repair I did myself. JA is not known for reliability.

Originally considered the KitchenAid 30" dbl ovens but consumer reports just rated them good at baking (Thermador was best). The JA oven is a new design with much more powerful elements, so hoping its better, will see. I have 45 days to return the new one and would probably get the Wolf oven (at 2X the price). Might get the Miele.

• antss
    14 years ago

Said they will replace a failed appliance out of warranty

Who is they in this case? Meile or the dealer?

This happens but it is not a rule ,it depends on the history of the unit and the problem and how old it is.

A 7 year old dishwasher is not going to get replace or even repaired on Miele's dime if a powersurge blows the computer board.

Their are better options for cooktops than Miele out there.

Ovens are very good, fridge is really good too though there are several options that are very similar in the market. Thermador/Gaggenau and Bosch if still in a dealer's display make similar configurations to the Miele fridge offerings.

Miele will be one of the more expensive options across the board. This doesn't mean every unit is more expensive than "x" brand, but a good generalization.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

> Said they will replace a failed appliance out of warranty

Ok, I should have qualified that as "I am aware of cases..." and not make it sound like they always do.

> Who is they in this case? Meile or the dealer?

My salesman said recent customer came in to replace 3 year-old broken Miele DW and he called service and got it fixed or replaced. Right now a coworker has $2000 Miele dryer that is 2 YO and broken showing an error code, they are replacing it with a new model. It is taking 3 days to process paperwork and laundry is piling up so he's not totally happy. These problems should not be occuring, but at least the fix attemp if great. YMMV

> This happens but it is not a rule ,it depends on the history of the unit and the problem and how old it is. A 7 year old dishwasher is not going to get replace or even repaired on Miele's dime if a powersurge blows the computer board.

They say they build it to last 20 years, but I agree I doubt they would replace it for 20 years, maybe 3 years. Mfgr warranties officially only cover defects, so a powersurge falls outside that. An extended warranty offers more coverage.

> Their are better options for induction cooktops than Miele out there.

Like ?

I found many that I liked the design but I would not buy because they are so small in the US, like Fagor. I don't care if they supply parts for many, if it breaks I want a service guy that can fix it.

And many induction tops (KA for sure, GE I think) have a design where the elements are too small (like 7" vs M's 8" to 9"), and too close together (

• bloganchuk
    14 years ago

I purchased the "thermador package" back in september, delivered in october, and installed in november.

ovens - PODC302
    cooktop - SGSX305FS
    washer - DWHD64EP (free 2010 model)
    fridge - T24IR70NSP (freedom column)
    freezer - T18IF70NSP (freedom column)
    vent - HDDW36FS (free)
    plus free stainless steel door panels and toe kicks

absolutely no complaints, everything works great.
    great double ovens and broiler.
    totally separate fridge & freezer compartments,
    no air sharing, no compressor sharing.
    5-burner cooktop with star burners, very powerful.
    dishwasher is very quiet and works great, although we tend to almost clean everything before it goes in.

with the package and "one, two, free" deal I think I got high-end thermador merchandise at kitchen aid or electrolux pricing.

charged it all to my visa and extended the warranty from 2-years to 3-years for no extra charge.

HTH

• Diane Clayton
    14 years ago

I've had no trouble with my Thermador 6 burner stove. It's 13 years old. We are now into the 2nd week of a major remodel of the kitchen knocking out the old mudroom laundry room to make a bigger kitchen. I will keep the Thermador. I am looking at an ASKO Dishwasher. I had nixed the Miele because I want to throw silverware into the DW. But if Gary is right, then I could reconsider the Miele. It looked like the ASKO has the silverware tray on top too but without the annoying slotted utensil tray. (The difference seems to be the difference between Rome's airport and Frankfort).
    I want an all refrigerator column so I am looking at the Thermador. I have a full freezer in our shed 10 feet away from the kitchen . (We are cattle ranchers). So all I need inside is an ice cube maker for my smoothies. But maybe a small freezer drawer for frozen fruit for said smoothies, a couple frozen pizzas, and of course the Ketel One Vodka.
    (No more kids at home). Could put the 18" Thermador freezer someplace though. Other columns are Lebherr, Viking. So advice on columns?
    And what about beverage centers? I looked at Marvel and Viking. Yikes.
    My biggest problem is a separate convection/microwave. Every 10 years, it seems, we are warned of the dangers of microwaves and cancer. Is a combo convection microwave good for making that extra dish for Thanksgiving and parties?
    Politically I'm trying to buy as much American and local as I can (local guy making our stainless steel sink), but the next best thing are European manufacturers who have union workers who make decent salaries, not slave labor.
    I have to decide by tomorrow and I'm still a tad confused.

• antss
    14 years ago

Inter alia-

what are you looking for -

gas?

grill, griddle? - a serious one?

wok? - a ring or a real deal flame thrower? or maybe an induction wok?

electric?

induction?

separates?

Is down drafting a requirement?

• diamondoaks
    13 years ago

inter alia:
    'Am considering a Jenn Air double wall oven (with 4.2" display); but not without trepidation due to the number of negative Jenn Air reviews. I understand, however, that Jenn Air is attempting to recreate itself with their new lines. What's your experience so far?

• Jan Russak
    8 years ago

I've also personally had my fill of Dacor appliances - though I've never owned one of their dishwashers. I have suffered through a double oven and a range. Sames issues and never fixed. Worst company out there I think Thanks for your comments. I still have the stove, which we light manually (it's become so automatic that it's not a chore) but the double oven is long gone.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

LOL, you're replying to yourself.

• jraimondo55
    8 years ago

Hate Dacor appliances

• DJ P
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

why? what is the problem with dacor and what state do you live in?

• wekick
    7 years ago

I would avoid the ovens that have the discovery controller. There is a lot written on Dacor if you search.

• Violette Barasch
    7 years ago

I am thinking about replacing my 30" electric range with an induction range. After looking at several models in the three thousand dollar and upward price range, I'm still uncertain whether the added cost of some models is worth it. I have read many complaints about the JennAir, and one report of a Samsung with a major safety issue, and that the KitchenAid has been difficult to obtain. The Wolf is new and unproven. Consumers Reports doesnt seem to rate the more upscale models. Any advice?