Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmusto

Danersk Antique Desk - Am I Way Off?

mrmusto
15 years ago

Good day,

I am writing in hope that somebody out there who knows much more than I do can tell me whether or not I am about to make a huge mistake! Below is the content of an ad I put on a major online listing site, and though my family wants to get rid of the desk quickly, the first responses have been creepy ones from what sound like desperate non-local dealers. Is asking $800 in Southern California way too little? Sadly, I can't offer back anything other than peace of mind that you have helped another :-)

Please note that I do not wish to spam the forum with an ad, which is why I was somewhat vague on some specifics!

Thank you so much,

Roger

Santa Barbara, CA

---BELOW IS THE (PERHAPS FOOLISH) AD---

{{gwi:1374331}}

Danersk Antique Solid Oak American Colonial Partners Desk in Excellent Condition; Circa 1920.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Good day,

Around 1920, my late grandmother's first husband commissioned this desk from

the

Danersk Erskine-Danforth Furniture Corporation of New York. At the time, he headed

the Compton's Encyclopedia, and this was his work desk. He was also an avid antique

collector with a fascination for American Colonial furniture, so that is the assumed

style. Since Danersk specialized in custom furniture made to customers' specifications,

it's highly unlikely that this is a mass-produced design.

The desk itself is solid oak, and incredibly sturdy; it could probably do fine with a half-

dozen people standing on it

. It has been kept in the family, and is consequently in

excellent condition. All hardware is original, as is the finish, which is predictably a

bit worn, but still aesthetically appealing. No restoration attempts have ever been made.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that aren't addressed in the captions

accompanying the pictures below. I am not an antique appraisal expert, but suspect

$800 to be very reasonable for the quality and nature of this desk. In the interest of

time, I did not have the desk appraised, but you are welcome to do so!

Thanks for looking, [REMOVED]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

PICTURES

(Note: I made a best-effort attempt to describe the desk, but I am not an expert,

so I encourage you to look it over carefully if you are interested in buying it! As well,

note that the color is a dark brown, perhaps darker than the pictures look depending on

your monitor.

)

Front View

One of the nicest features of this desk is that it features retractable side panels that are plenty sturdy to

support a heavy book, laptop, etc.
{{gwi:1374332}}

Left Side View

The top of the desk is comprised of well-aligned strips of oak.
{{gwi:1374333}}

Right Side View

The bobbin legs are solid wood, and with the supporting rails, incredibly sturdy.
{{gwi:1374334}}

Drawer Hardware

The drawers are interchangeable, and each features a forged brass handle and all-metal lock.
{{gwi:1374335}}

Center Drawer Hardware

The center drawer has a more sophisticated locking mechanism.
{{gwi:1374336}}

Left Pedestal

{{gwi:1374337}}

Emblem

The maker's mark can be found impressed on the inside of the middle drawer.
{{gwi:1374338}}

About Danersk

For more about the Danersk company, see:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/97355

http://www.cslib.org/stamford/indhist.htm
{{gwi:1374339}}

Comments (14)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When was the last time it got waxed or polished? Despite the provenance, it's not looking fabulous. If you got $800, I'd say you were ahead of the game. You might want to ask your question on more specialized sites, like one of the Arts and Crafts site. I've linked to one below.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Wow do I ever disagree.....its' a fabulous desk....looks easily like $2,000 to me. Provanance is great and seems well documented, in fabulous shape...not "waxed" not "polished" but simply loved.
    Can you sidestep the smarmy dealers looking to nab a buy or are the only ones communication.
    I think you have it well priced, well photographed and documented.
    But why are you so anxious to sell your grandfathers' desk?
    Linda C

• mrmusto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why we are so anxious is because it is occupying a major portion of our dining room right now! :-) The desk has served us well, but is really much too large for our house, so we'd really like to free up the space. As well, we're trying to remodel our house, and there's considerable pressure from other family members to get rid of it...

So far, it's only been the slimy dealers, and illegitimate-sounding ones at that.

I'll try posting on the linked forum; thanks for that!

What I'm really not sure of is how one even goes about selling a piece of furniture like this. Are there some better alternatives than CraigsList? Is something like EBay better? Or something else?

Thank you!
    Roger

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I would not touch the finish until you find out more about its value.

Is there an auction house nearby that you could contact? They may be able to give you a valuation and/or a consignment for this piece to be placed in a general auction with a reserve price.

The problem with most furniture is that its popularity cycles and there are also regional tastes for specific styles of furniture that will affect its market price. In a recession its value will also drop. Could you store it somewhere during the renovation?

• lindac
    15 years ago

Put an ad in a news paper.....
    Back in "The day" the Antique trader would be the place to list it.
    Have you no childern or nieces or nephews who would love it?
    Linda C

• mrmusto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Palimpsest, I'm afriad it's really a situation where there's not the time or resources to go for a longer selling process, so I wanted to test the waters and avoid a "oh no, what did I do?!" moment after selling it had it proved to be a sought-after piece of furniture!

Lindac, for better or for worse my family is far too practical to house such a large item, so my hope is that somebody will discover the ad who will love it more than we would!

Thanks again, and enjoy the new year! Roger

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

This is off the subject. Why are some posts constructed so that I have to move the bottom arrow in order to read the postings? Not all the time but it is the case with this listing.

Also curious, who are other family members who want you to get rid of the desk?

• mrmusto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No idea about the forum behavior, but as for the relatives, those would be my parents! Apparently they're tired of it after a few decades :-) They're more into contemporary, minimalistic furniture. Somebody is coming today; wish me luck!

• lindac
    15 years ago

When a posted picture is too big for a "normal space"...the whole post takes up more space and you have to move over to see it all.
    I think you should keep that desk....you will never find another and it will make an awesome sideboard!
    Linda c

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

You might try sending an email to Bonhams down here in LA, but I don't think you're going to raise a big price, Bonhams has a monthly auction that they call an "estate sale" auction, and you can search on the site for past results.

I'm not suggesting that you strip it and paint little hearts on it, but it's not showing to its best advantage, I think.
    Even if it's custom made, colonial repro isn't in fashion, and esp. not in Southern California. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but being realistic.

• jemdandy
    15 years ago

Leave the finish alone!!! Until you find out more about this desk. It appears to a well made, sturdy piece.

Your next chore is to date it - when was it made.

The drop handle pulls are fabulous. If the piece is old and had much use, the finish should show wear where the pulls strike the surface.

I'm not sure about the lock in the center drawer. Its by Yale and looks modern in design: the key design appears modern.

If the "Antiques Road Show" visited your area, I would advise showing it to them.

• yborgal
    15 years ago

I'd pay that much for it; I think it's gorgeous as is.

The only thing I see missing in your ad is the size of the desk and the size of the retractable side panels.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Yale has been making cylindar tumbler locks since the mid 19th century.
    I have a Yale lock on my door that I know was installed in 1926 which looks just like the one on the desk....key and all.
    Linda C