Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazal_shemesh

Entryway right into Living Room

M. S
10 days ago

Hi! We have a weird layout that our front door opens directly into the living room. There's a coat closet off to the side so that nixes out a lot of space. I mean, I guess that's my entryway but it's just set up all wrong.

What do you think we can do to help this living room? think there's a way that it can be set up that you don't walk into a couch when you first enter?

Notes- we actually want a larger couch. I'd prefer not to have a coffee table at this point since we have kids and want to keep the space open.

Comments (21)

• Cara Fidler
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

My childhood home was just like that. I don't know if you'd want to do this, but my father put up a wall with a door to divide the end of the livingroom where your front door is from the balance of the livingroom. He created an entranceway for the house separate from the livingroom. That said, I honestly thought this was a bit ridiculous as it made the livingroom smaller. So alternately, you could get a nice, long runner to place in the entranceway there. You could arrange the furniture so that the sofa is further inside the livingroom or get a smaller couch. You could put the couch on the opposite wall and put bookshelves or shelving on the opposite wall. You could get partitions for the end of the livingroom for a bit more privacy. Or put up some hanging plants from the ceiling to separate the entranceway from the rest of the l.r.

• Maureen
    10 days ago

Suggest painting and editing bookcase, place sectional about a foot away, turn rug horizontally, and add a console table opposite (or a closed in unit). This would create better sight lines from entrance, make better use of the space and room will feel more balanced. When considering new seating, a couch and chairs would open up more layout options.

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

You don't really have room to do anything different. This setup is not unusual in smaller homes, even newer ones. It's an efficient use of space. I don't see how you would have room for a sofa larger than what you already have. The floors and the stained glass are beautiful.

• Jennz9b
    10 days ago

This is not a ”weird layout”. it’s a very typical layout. doing something like a wall would be weird.

• tracefloyd
    10 days ago

I agree reverse the layout. Place the sectional in the niche where the TV is and the TV on the window wall. This would make room for an armchair with floor lamp in front of the closet area. You would have to install folding doors for the closet.

And you need a coffee table and table lamps.

• M. S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

kandrewspa is correct that we don't have much space to push the couch more inward or anything like that. The bookshelves won't fit on the other wall since the windows are low.

It feels weird because the front empty space looks awkward like it's not set up.

What do you think of the new sectional having its back to the door and then putting some kind of entryway type of narrow furniture against the back of the couch. Just to claim the spaces are different.

I'll try to make a sketch

• M. S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

like that

• M. S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

About the bookshelves- I noticed they're not in the pictures I sent. But the entire wall across from the couch is bookshelves. They won't fit on the opposite wall, we measured. I do like the idea of painting them or replacing them eventually with a color that will blend in. No TV in there.

• tracefloyd
    10 days ago

Do you need the closet? It looks like an add-on so maybe just tear it out. Check out the floor inside the closet and see if it's possible to salvage it once the closet is gone.

But with folding doors on it, an easy chair or game table could still fit in front of it with your current setup.

• M. S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

definitely need the closet. It also needs clear access because we use it constantly.

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

I think you are handling the space constraints very well. This home seems very functional. I love your sofa and no doubt a wonderful place to spend with your kids.

You could create a little vinette with a table to collect mail by the front door or you could find a chair that can be used to balance the sofa.

Here are a few ideas...

Since you have a sectional you can't reall do this but you could decorate the wall beside the door.

My Houzz: Bakersfield California Home Tour · More Info

you could put a tiny table by the entrance like this

Lombardy Lane, Laguna Beach · More Info

decorate bedside the front door

Coastal Cottage · More Info

M. S thanked Boxerpal
  • M. S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

If I were to put a chair to balance the sofa, where do you suggest I put the chair?

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

maybe in the corner.. Maybe a smaller chair than what I am showing. Something that swivels.

• auntthelma
    10 days ago

Maybe a bench under the window between door and closet. A small round table next to the door in the corner.

• Jennifer Hogan
    10 days ago

Instead of a sofa with the dual chaise I would do a 2x3 sectional and have a sofa back table behind the sofa facing the door. I think it would feel like a separate space and allow for additional seating.

I also would not count out the use of an ottoman or coffee table with storage. Great place to store blankets, need a place to set drinks, can be a foot stool for mom or an extra seat when you have one extra guest. Some have tops that are soft of convertible soft/hard. My sister found an antique trunk and used it as a coffee table - great conversation piece.

M. S thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • M. S
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Yes that's the idea I was trying to depict in my "sketch"! since we are opting for a larger couch, I think this idea is the way to go. I'll keep in mind the thought about ottomans (the extra blankets drive me insane!)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 days ago

The bookshelves need to go. Too messy looking and take up too much space. It’s a nice space with pretty floors and the stained glass is great. Can you do a floor plan?

• tracefloyd
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

...No trunks with kids unless soft close lids.

We use lightweight poufs we can move around...no coffee table, just side tables. We have a thick wool rug with a felt pad that I have sat/lounged on for extra seating. Bean bag maybe?

A game table for two against the window would be fun for kids and adults plus provide extra seating. Pull it out for a game of four players.

• bpath
    9 days ago

Just wondering, does that have to be the living room? It might make a good dining space, if the sofa etc work well in another room, maybe swap living and dining spaces?

• M. S
    Original Author
    8 days ago

@bpath no switch possible, we thought of that.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH