Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrinn33

Kitchen cabinet color advice

jrinn33
10 days ago

Hello,

My husband and I are in the process of building a new home. Our interior walls throughout the home have been painted Benjamin Moore White Dove lightened by 25%. We are at the point where we are choosing kitchen cabinet color, and I am struggling to decide! I am seeking any input/advice anyone is willing to share.

Some details that might be helpful - We live in the PNW, in a rural area. The kitchen windows face NE and look out over a river, the kitchen is open on the N side to our living room. Flooring throughout is a medium oak (LVP).

Design goal - We are hoping to achieve a warm, light, timeless feel and to find warm/neutral colors that lean away from dingy or yellow. Countertops are Taj Mahal Quartzite Leathered. We will be adding natural wood elements throughout the kitchen (at the base of vent hood, around island base, floating shelves between two upper cabinets).

Current options - Given how difficult it is to blend different whites together, I am considering paint matching my cabinets to the wall color. My kitchen cabinet designer has recommended Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, which is very pretty in photos.

Any other ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

Revere Pewter is a medium shade. It's much darker than White Dove. Since the room faces north and it's probably frequently overcast, it's not what I would choose. White Dove or natural wood/white oak (or a mix) seems like it would be a good choice. Not all slabs of Taj Mahal are the same, so be sure to look at the color next to your slab before committing yourself.

jrinn33 thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    Kimberli Saunders
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

White Dove already has almost no color to it. Lightening it by 25% means it's virtually colorless, and unreproducible in any professional cabinet finish. Find an actual color that you like, and have that matched in a pro finish. None of that reducing the pigment stuff either. That doesnt' really work the way people think it does.

jrinn33 thanked Kimberli Saunders
  • Lyn Nielson
    10 days ago

BM White Dove would be my choice, especially with the north light.

BM Revere Pewter will take on a much darker look in that light, even though it looks relatively light, it will show much darker... and grayer. not what I would like in the PNW.

as I read ^ regardless if you can reproduce the White Dove after you have cut it a % BM White Dove straight would be a better option than choosing a totally different color.

I still vote for BM White Dove, as is.

jrinn33 thanked Lyn Nielson
  • jrinn33
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Yes, the White Dove is definitely light on the walls! It was a compromise between my husband and myself, we might be overcompensating for the wall darkness in our current house. But we are both happy with it so that is a bonus!

This is all great advice. I don't mind having contrast, but I definitely don't want the kitchen to feel super dark. I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

• jrinn33
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@chispa Oh, yikes! I definitely don't want that!

I had inquired about a sample door but found out it would cost me about $325 just for the sample. That seems a bit steep, so I thought I would ask all the wonderful people on Houzz first.

• cat_ky
    10 days ago

I would play it safe, and use the exact color you have on the wall for the cabinets. You can bring colors in as accessories and art work, etc. I would not choose revere pewter either.

jrinn33 thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Minardi
    10 days ago

$325 is pretty gosh darn cheap for a gallon of $130 of primer, and $180 Paint, plus the time to set up the spray rig, spray, and then 100% clean it out, ready to go for a different color. Plus the cost of the raw door. In the end, that's subsidized work, with the hope that you get unstuck and move forward.

jrinn33 thanked Minardi
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 days ago

You want a bad color when 325.00 can prevent a re do or a kitchen you hate?!

A lot of cabinet companies will match ANY paint formula you give them. No matter how you have adjusted a "chip" color

I do it all the time. This green? It has no name or number...But it is Ben Moore: ) No Name No Number

Wrapped views · More Info

Wrapped views · More Info

jrinn33 thanked JAN MOYER