Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_mcclure56

Floor outlet placement - Living Room!! FURNITURE LAYOUT RECS!

Faucheaux Properties
11 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

I am looking for advice on floor placement for outlets in the living room. I'm not sure where they should go.

Attached is a picture of our floorplan and a sample layout of the furniture placement I will most likely do!

Also, I am open to any other suggestions regarding furniture placement. We are starting over on all of our furniture when we move so I am open to any recommendations as far as layout!

Comments (12)

• bpath
    11 days ago

Do you already have a rug you plan to use? What are the dimensions? you certainly want to accommodate that.

Faucheaux Properties thanked bpath
  • bpath
    11 days ago

Not re the living room, but looking at your pantry area I had a thought. What if the bar and pantry swapped places? The bar could be behind cabinet doors on the dining room side, but also open on the pantry side. How convenient that would be for entertaining, and for everyday. It brings the pantry closer to the kitchen, and, just assuming here, but you probably use the pantry more than the bar.

Faucheaux Properties thanked bpath
  • PRO
    Faucheaux Properties
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@bpath Thank you!! We will be using a 9 x 13 rug for the living room area.

Thats a great thought! Thank you for that recommendation regarding the pantry & bar area!

• chispa
    11 days ago

That doesn't look like everything is scaled properly?

What size rug did you draw in?

Not much space to open that door to the deck/patio.

Not much space to walk in from the foyer and go through the living room.

When you draw it out you need to add even more dimensions like furniture size, space from rug edge to the walls, etc.

• PRO
    Faucheaux Properties
    Original Author
    11 days ago

The furniture on the inspo pic is not to scale! This is just an inspo pic I found online as a general idea of the furniture layout I would like to use. I would like to get a 9x13 rug for the living room.

• millworkman
    11 days ago

Your furniture layout is blocking fireplace, doors, etc., no?

• chispa
    11 days ago

You need to lay it all out to scale. There are free online programs that will let you lay it out and re-size furniture to the actual size you would be buying.

• S M
    11 days ago

Can you have electricians come back after you have your rug and furniture in place? Once they are arranged you will be able to figure where they make sense. We have one just under edge of sofa and one around midpoint of area rug on one side to accommodate a chair and table or two chairs.

• cubby14
    10 days ago

That's how we have ours too S M. Works out fine.

• T T
    10 days ago

Ideally, I would place outlets underneath each sofa in case you get power recliners in the future. You can also plug a lamp into those outlets under the sofa. Placing it under one of the arm chairs would be tougher to get the exact placement right, but I would want one there too, so 3 outlets total.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 days ago

What is under the living room?

• chispa
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I had to give an exact location for my 2 floor outlets during construction because I am on a slab. Of course, I ended up arranging the furniture differently than I had originally planned! One of my outlets ended up completely covered by the area rug. I made it work with the other outlet, but had to use an extension cord and part of it is under the area rug. Not ideal, but it isn't a high traffic area.

Some people will cut holes in area rugs to run the plugs through it, but I wasn't willing to do that with a hand-knotted rug.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm