I was expecting cicadas

lucillle

But apparently the large brood emergence is not happening in Texas this year. I haven't even seen any annual cicadas. I guess I will have to make do with pictures from other states.

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Just because it's not the large brood doesn't mean no cicadas at all, does it?

Save    
lucillle

I have not seen or heard any.

Save    
arcy_gw

It's waaaaaay too early here for this emergence. We are usually deep into summer before I start hearing their distictive bzzzzzzzzzzzzz. They are pretty much a non factor--except for their noise that always sounds like bussing power lines to me. It's the Cicada wasps that we dread. If you let those things nest on your property you will have a fight on your hands!! They love to burrow under cement/patio slabs. Be VIGILENT!!

Save    
petalique

https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/10-facts-about-cicada-killer-wasps/

The comments that follow the article are interesting.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

It's not too early in many parts of their expected emergence territory. According to USA Today (5/7/24): "Adult periodical cicadas from Brood XIX have been spotted by users in multiple states across the Southeast and Midwest including in Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia and Illinois, according to Cicada Safari, a cicada tracking app developed by Mount St. Joseph University in Cincinnati, Ohio. Cicada Safari users have also identified Brood XIII cicadas in Illinois and Iowa. "

Save    
littlebug Zone 5 Missouri

None in north Missouri yet, but on several of my gardening Facebook groups there are vast numbers of people demonstrating hysteria about a cicada onslaught. I’ve been a gardener for more than 50 years and I’m not expecting anything more than a ho-hum event.

I suspect the hysteria is being fanned by sellers of ”plant protection” items. Go figure.

1 Like Save    
lucillle

Media term "Cicadalypse".

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

The last time this happened was in 1803 and won't happen again until 2245!! 50 years of gardening is a mere drop in the bucket compared to this phenomenon.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

arkansas has a hatch going ... bright red 'evil-looking' eyes

Save    

As gardengal has quoted above, I was expecting the usual 17-year-cycle cicadas of Brood XIX in my area of the midwest this year.

I have not seen mention of the years of 1803 and 2245 in connection with cicada invasions. Where can I read more about this aspect?

Save    
Lars

I remember cicadas in Texas, but I must have seen them only once, since I did not stay there that long. We do not have them in California.

Save    
bpath

Around here we have been hearing about the convergence emergence, but it turns out the convergence is downstate, and we will get ”just” the 17-year brood, no 13s. Oh well. I recall from 2007 that is was weird and LOUD and then it was over.

Today I read that emergences like this often lead to ”bumper crops” of woodpeckers and blue jays. Drat.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

The unique convergence of both the 17 year and 13 year broods happens only once every 221 years.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cicadas-are-coming-rare-dual-emergence-could-bring-one-trillion-of-the-bugs-this-year-180983635/

1 Like Save    

Thanks for the link. It appears that I am not in a convergence area so my 50 years of gardening experience will stand me in good stead. ☺️

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va

No sign of them here so far, the typical annual cicadas usually show up during the heat of July/August.

Save    
beesneeds

I know around Chicagoland it isn't quite warm enough for full emergence yet. A couple sightings in the burbs, but in general the 8" is still at 61, so got another three degrees before full emergence kicks in. It was a cooler rainy week with some warm temps, but a full warm week coming up. Still kind of low on the overnights. So maybe next week they will start to seeing more emergence.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

They’ve been ’singing’ here for several days now. So loud sometimes we can hear them in the house if it’s quiet.

Save    
bpath

Bees, I’m in Chicagoland, too, and yes, a little too chilly yet where I am.

Our forest preserve district has a nice explanation (and amazing drawings) of the cicadas. I’m sure we have all seen this information, but I really liked the presentation here.

Cicadas, scroll down to page through the publication.

Save    
Olychick

We don’t have them in the PNW but I am curious if anything eats them? If so, does that mean a boom in population of their well fed predators?

Save    
beesneeds

A lot of stuff eats them. Land, air, and water critters. Anything that normally will eat a bug will get their fill, and even some things that don't normally eat as much will still glut out. Not necessarily a boom in populations, but for sure well fed this time.

The noted natural predator is a cicada killer wasp. It kills to bring home food for the babies. However, it emerges later in summer and will miss the big feed coming up soon. But people will still likely kill this beneficial wasp anyway once they do emerge.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

Neighbors just got back from North Carolina--people are saying they are trapped inside. They have hatched and they are LOUD evidently.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Working With Pros Get the Upholstery Work You Expect: 10 Details to Discuss
Avoid disappointment and unexpected costs by going over these key areas with your upholsterer before work begins
Full Story
Life What I Learned While Cleaning Out My Junk Drawers
A homeowner finds some surprises on her journey to junk-free bliss
Full Story
Woodworking is an art, a vessel to express ones self and to let your passion speak. Here at Ngrained Woodworks we... Read More
For more than 35 years, Re-Bath® of Pittsburgh has helped homeowners convert worn, outdated bathrooms into... Read More